Home Assistant Community Add-on: motionEye

Try to reduce the video resolution on Motioneye

I tried down to 320px resolution with no luck. Thanks for reply

The Reolinks donā€˜t work very well with Motioneye when using the rtsp stream. Use the rtmp stream instead. But this involves editing the camera cfg file. There are instructions on net.

Iā€™ve used a few search terms and didnā€™t find anything, so apologies if this has been previously covered;

is there a way to arrange the order in which the cameras show up on the web ui without having to delete and re-add cameras in the order I want them?

I finally find some Dahus instructions that worked:
rtsp://192.168.2.128:554/live

Here you go:
https://www.andysblog.de/reolink-ip-kamera-an-motioneye-anbinden
Itsā€™ in German, but you should be able to translate it with Google.

Iā€™ll answer my previous question on how to add a MotionEye stream to Home Assistant since iā€™m probably not the last to look for this infomation :slight_smile:

1. In configuration.yaml you add: (if you enable streaming for your first camera in MotionEye it picks port 8081, reference your MotionEye interface to make sure, change localhost if MotionEye is not on the same system as HASS)
camera:
  - platform: mjpeg
    mjpeg_url: http://localhost:8081/
    name: frontdoor
  1. Reload HASS
  2. Add an picture-entity:
camera:
type: picture-entity
camera_view: live
entity: camera.frontdoor
3 Likes

Hi, can you please tell me when did you find this function?

I have your same issue and i want to monitor my cameras.

Thank you

Sorry, I stopped using this and went to other solution instead. I never managed to get more than 4 cameras working at the same time.

1 Like

hi @frenck i read in release notes, that USB will be supported in future? what needs to be done exactly?
is this needed to be install on hassos: v4l-utils
that package is needed for local USB support , right?

There are way more basic things that need to be addressed first. Like: Making user configurable USB devices possible and being able to expose them to add-ons, for starters. Furthermore, access to the videocore, and indeed later on, some packages :wink:

Ok, not something for tomorrow :wink:

Hello i have a gigabyte brix with a Celeron J1900. I have a Camera that is streaming with a resolution of 3072x2048 by RTSP. My celeron CPU is stressed just with video streaming and has 100% usage with only this camera. Wherenever i enable the camera with MotionEye the CPU has 100% load. I could upgrade it to a 8250u intel NUC, but i am afraid it could not be enough. Does motionEye use GPU for H264 decode?
Can someone with a camera of so much resolution can tell me what kind of server is using?
Thanks!

No one is using motioneye with high resolution cameras?

Iā€™m using motioneye with currently 3 cameras, 2 of which are 3MP and one is 4MP. Iā€™m running motioneye on a Intel NUC with an i5. However, together with Home Assistant the CPU is rarely utilized more than 20% (and Iā€™m using motion detection on all 3 cameras). If you have 100% CPU usage on a Celeron with just one camera, then something must be wrong with your setup. Review the settings and also the stream you are using. I had the problem when using the RTSP stream from my Reolink cameras. Motioneye couldnā€™t handle that stream and that led to very high CPU usage. I switched to RTMP streams and that solved the problem. However, my Hikvision cameraā€™s RTSP stream works just fine with motioneye.

I think you meant this reply for someone else. My question was about re-arranging the order they show up on the webui.

Hi all, Iā€™m stuck in adding cameras buy using the same network address actually used on Hassio configuration, but! I canā€™t select nothing on the drop down menu selection"camera"ā€¦
please see pic:

How did you change to RTMP? It says that the protocol isnĀ“t supported (I have a Reolink 410 or so)

Username and password have to be set in the appropriated fields

Hi All,

Iā€™ve been able to setup motionEye very easily with my Xiaomi Cam V2 and the beta firmware enabling RTSP.
Hass is running on my Pi3.
Then problem is that I get very low FPS and a large delay on the video feed. IF I move my hand in front of the camera, it takes about 15 sec until I see it.
At first I thought it was a question of throughput so I reduced all setting to the minimum : resolution, image quality, FPS, etc. but didnā€™t really improved.
It is not the Wifi connection either since with the app from Xiaomi or VLC, I get decent FPS.
I also checked the CPU usage on the PI and it is about 6%.
Anyone got good results with streaming video on a PI3 and motionEye?

Thanks
Simon