Home Assistant Community Add-on: motionEye

I’ve noticed my uploaded internet data grows at the rate of 250mb per hour (I have 6 cameras) I’m not collecting the video or anything else to the best of my knowledge, I have all options except video device off. I believe it is Motioneye that’s responsible and as its eating up my ISP allowance (on LTE) so I will have to turn it off. I am only browsing the cameras internally on the whole, using a internal IP, though I do have a NabuCasa connection.
Any ideas where the data is going?

Hi all
I have a couple of questions that is kind of crucial for if I’m going Reolink and motionEye or Unifi Protect. Would really appreciate if I could get some help figuring these out:

1. Can I use the cameras motion detection so that motionEye is only recording/processing once the camera itself detects motion and starts sending a RTSP stream? This is to reduce the load on my NUC.
  2. Can I via a sensor in Home Assistant toggle recording on/off? I’d like one of the cameras to only record when my alarm is activated.
  3. Can I send motion alerts from Home Assistant based on if motionEye records and then click the notification and get to the live stream?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, is it possible to connect this cam with MotionEye?

There is a fairly good compatibility section in the motion docs.

1 Like

I’m a total docker noob and am trying to configure this:

I can’t for the life of me figure out where to add the script. I don’t fully understand the relationship between the add-on and the container so that’s adding to my confusion. Anybody successfully configured this in hass.io in docker with the motionEye addon?

I see that this came up before but hasnt been reported recently.
I added a valid and “test Share” confirmed network share to my cameras and get the following errors on all cameras - WARNING: Connect error on fd 19: ECONNREFUSED - If I change them all back to Custom path and restart Motioneye the problem is resolved. Any advice

Having an annoying error when trying to upload motion pictures via FTP. I’ve got the FTP add-on in HA so I’m trying to upload just pictures into a folder, I’ve got the main storage set as a same share to a harddrive attached to my router (192.168.1.1) which is working fine. I’ve got all the details for the FTP service in right but when it tries to upload to it I get the following in the logs:

ERROR: failed to create movie preview for /media/motioneye_192_168_1_1_volume_sda1__dansharpy/Home: Command '[u'ffmpeg', u'-i', u'/media/motioneye_192_168_1_1_volume_sda1__dansharpy/Home', u'-f', u'mjpeg', u'-vframes', u'1', u'-ss', u'4', u'-y', u'/media/motioneye_192_168_1_1_volume_sda1__dansharpy/Home.thumb']' returned non-zero exit status 1
   ERROR: failed to upload file "/media/motioneye_192_168_1_1_volume_sda1__dansharpy/Home" with service ftp: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/media/motioneye_192_168_1_1_volume_sda1__dansharpy/Home'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/motioneye/uploadservices.py", line 1103, in upload_media_file
    service.upload_file(target_dir, filename, camera_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/motioneye/uploadservices.py", line 57, in upload_file
    ctime = os.path.getctime(filename)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/genericpath.py", line 72, in getctime
    return os.stat(filename).st_ctime
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/media/motioneye_192_168_1_1_volume_sda1__dansharpy/Home'

I’m not sure what I’m looking at really but it’s saying about a directory not existing but it seems to be looking for the directory for the samba share rather than the FTP path? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Help me out here - I’ve been googling for quite some time now: Where do I find a complete list of cameras that are supported?

I can’t find the page I was thinking of, but basically any ip camera.

I have a ftp drive set up on my asus router. Accessible by ftp/samba.

Been trying to set up the upload settings to this drive.
sda3 is the partition on the card
Office is a subfolder I created.
I can access this via file explorer.

Where am I going wrong? Do I need to modify the config settings in the home assistant samba addon or motioneye?

I can’t seem to get motioneye to load. The page runs a refresh loop and I am unable to change any settings. The same issue occurs after uninstall/reinstall. Do I need to fully clear out all of the files? Where is the add-on directory located - not seeing through Samba share. Appreciate any help.

/bin/sh: lsb_release: not found

Given up on both agent dvr and motioneye for now. Ok for general monitoring but anything further then you hit roadblocks.
Also they consume a lot of resources for several HD cameras.

Got a NVR arriving today to can have a dedicated CCTV system for monitoring/alerts etc.

Tend to agree. Best kept separate. Motioneye, for me is inconsistent. E.g I make a change to one camera and lose another camera. I think I need to also go separate NVR route.

1 Like

yep countless times I’ve had to modify the backup in notepad++ , rezip it to gz and restore it, restart etc. google drive backups stop syncing all the time.
Spend all the time tweaking it. Need time to work on other things.

Lets see how the cheap Dahua NVR 8 channel works out for me.

Got my NVR now - 750GB HDD from an old laptop - 5 days of recording - access from app and desktop software. All cameras added and also ffmpeg streams on HA.
Switched off motioneye and ispy for now.

sorted.

What NVR did you get?
I’m experimenting with Blue Iris which seems to be excellent, there’s a hell of a lot to it and a great YouTube how to on the hook up. But big downside is it needs a dedicated i7 windows machine.

Just a cheap 8 channel dahua. Was running ispy on my i7 32gb dell tower to record etc which I did not want on 24/7 anymore. (including the 3 monitors connected!).

Hi!, I am not able to make the curl works. As I am new to all this, can you tell if there is an easy way to test if the curl works ? Maybe outside of motioneye so I don’t need to go outside and gesticulate for a minute every time I want to try it out. It’s been two hours now ^^

I setup Motioneye to send a webhook in Home Assistant to trigger object detection.

It works great, but the motion notifications will only work on 1 camera (I have 3). I am trying to do a separate webhook for each camera but only 1 will work.

The other 2 cameras show that they are detecting motion but will not send a webhook or any form of motion notifications. I tried MQTT and had the same results.

Is motioneye capable of sending individual webhooks for each camera or am I doing something wrong?

Hi, yes you can use MotionEye with this camera. The only thing you have to do first is to hack the camera in order to be used with the IP.