Home Assistant Community Add-on: motionEye

Just to elaborate because I’ve been searching for hours and Jochen’s post allowed me to figure out how to move recordings and pictures off the docker server.

You can put entries in /etc/fstab that allow you to permanently bind a directory to another directory. For example this entry causes a USB hard drive that is plugged into my Debian box to be mounted at /usb/Woodstock

UUID=a7ef98ad-3318-37f9-96eb-baa1c0415aa8 /usb/Woodstock  hfsplus force,rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,umask=22,uid=1000,gid=1000,nls=utf8,uhelper=udisks2

I already understood this and am using it for several other things - but just didn’t think it through. Kept trying the symbolic link route which will not work.

In my case, I actually want to put the media on a folder that is on ANOTHER computer (a headless Mac Mini). So - I can use an FSTAB entry using FUSE to not only map one directory to another, I can make the connection using SSHFS (this complicates things and is not needed for most people - but I am sharing my FSTAB entry anyway in case someone else is trying to do this exactly. Note this involves a lot more than just creating an FSTAB entry and is beyond the scope of this post.):

sshfs#[email protected]:/Volumes/Linus-2TB-X/motioneye /usr/share/hassio/share/motioneye fuse defaults,idmap=user,nonempty,allow_other,reconnect,_netdev,users,IdentityFile=/root/.ssh/id_rsa 0 0

So if instead of using another computer I wanted to just put my media on the USB drive that is attached directly to my Debian server (my first example) the entry would look like:

/usb/Woodstock/motioneye /usr/share/hassio/share/motioneye 	none 	bind	0 0 

(and it would need to come after my first entry that creates the Woodstock directory in the first place)

You can test this without modifying your FSTAB with:

mount --bind /usb/Woodstock/motioneye /usr/share/hassio/share/motioneye

Note that an empty directory called motioneye will need to be in both places. If they aren’t empty, both commands will throw an error.

(I am running HomeAssistant Supervised in Docker on a vanilla Debian Buster 64bit. I have several other non Hassio/Homeassistant Docker containers running on this same machine. The other way this could probably be done is to write a custom script by modifying the installer from the GIT pull for Motioneye - but then it will not stick of the author upgrades or you reinstall for some reason. Using Bind to redirect the files seems like the best option for me.)

Once you do this - Motioneye even reports space available at the REAL destination instead of the docker container:

1 Like

Hi, can anyone help me setup homeassistant to trigger recording in motioneye when something happens? eg. record on door sensor = open.

having motion eye record on motion won’t do the trick since not all motion detections are of interest for me

thank you

is it possible with an action button to start a link with credentials without confirmation?
http://admin:[email protected]/cgi-bin/ConfigManApp.com?key=F_LOCK&code=8511

I am also looking for a solution to the “Unauthorized” issue. Did you already solve it?

No, I still have that issue. Ingress works fine, but direct URL:s causes the issue unless you already initiated a session with motionEye via the left hand side.

hi
why if I use Embed URL it tells me 401: Unauthorized even if Authentication Mode is disabled?

1 Like

managing the cameras in mjpeg overloads me firefox in an excessive way, with chrome instead no. happens to anyone?

What does this even mean. Please read How to help us help you - or How to ask a good question

I’m sorry. let me explain better, I put 2 cameras on hassio with platform mjpeg.
when I see them in lovelace with firefox the cpu always goes to 100%, with chrome and edge it has a standard use
it’s normal?

Hi i have a question. For both the camera’s i have a get that the model is not supported. Foscam C2M and Y-cam 1080p. Maybe i overlooked it, but i couldn’t find a list of supported devices.
Other question. when i have it up an running with a supported camera will i be able to have sound and motion detection if my camera supports it?

Hi, i found my mistake. i added the camera’s of http instead of rtsp. I could add both camera’s. Thanks for the nice add-on!

My remaining question is regarding sound. Is it possible to enable audio?

Motioneye does not support audio

1 Like

Do you know if any other add-on can?

Hi, is it possible to make the action buttons in one line?

Hi all, I’ve been using the motioneye add on now for a while.
But I have noticed that there is an delay of aprox. 10 seconds when there is motion detected and a webhook command is pushed to home assistant.

When I look in the add on I see nicely a picture taken from a moving vehicle. I than want to trigger an automation so that I take a snapshot of that moment within HA but apperently the webhook command comes in 10 seconds later therefore having a wrong picture…

Any one else have this problem?

With the new MotionEye integration, should it not be possible to automatically add camera’s added in the addon to HA?

I cannot add the addon as an integration since the url is invalid (I tried ‘localhost’ and the ip, set a port etc. but did not work). Any ideas?

2 Likes

I have a Tapo C200 and I’m trying to add buttons to call saved presets and TPZ but I’ve no /etc/motioneye/ folder where to create them.

Hi, would you mind sharing the step you did to create action buttons?