Home Assistant Community Add-on: Plex Media Server

I have this add-on installed on my Home Assistant instance running on Ubuntu Server (installed via supervised installer).

I see this mentioned:

Generic Linux users could simply mount volumes or network shares into the /shares/ folder to expose this extra storage space to the add-on.

Assuming I fall in to this category does anyone have any ideas how to do this? I see the /share folder within the add-on when browsing the file system (when adding a library) but not sure how to mount my NAS to this location.

For example I can mount my NAS like this:

sudo mount -t nfs NAS-IP-ADDRESS:/share /somewhere

But Iā€™m not sure what /somewhere should be for the add-on to access the mounted drive. Any ideas?

I think I can actually help with your problemā€¦

Since you installed Home Assistant via Supervised installer, your Home Assistant files should be in usr/share/hassio/. I think if you mount your NAS like below, the Plex HA add-on should see it since it is configured to view the /share directory.

sudo mount -t nfs NAS-IP-ADDRESS:/share /usr/share/hassio/share

I installed Plex as a regular Docker container so I donā€™t know what problems you will run into, but hopefully this works.

Be sure to remember the ā€˜usr/share/hassioā€™ directoryā€“you will be going back to that directory quite often.

2 Likes

Thanks! My problem turned out to be that the install script installed Home Assistant using the Docker ā€œsnapā€ provided during Ubuntu Server install, rather than the Docker downloaded in the above steps.

Do not use the Docker snap this will install HA into an unknown location that I could never find.

Having reinstalled Ubuntu without this, this folder is now there as expected and able to mount to.

1 Like

Hi,
Iā€™m using this addon and it is almost perfect but i have just two question:

1. There is the possibility to update the server on 1.19.5.3112 version?
  2. The DLNA option didntā€™ work i see there is the possibility to FIX this problem?(I know it is samething related on setting of network part of addon maybe there someting i can do into portainet)

Thanks.

With regard to DLNA, there is a bug report on that:

Hello, can anyone explain how to add a plugin for IPTV, im using HASSIO on pi3

hello
how to add my folder in synology to plex in raspberry pi 4 ?

1 Like

For anyone not sure which addon is giving you issues with port 1900, Iā€™ve found out that the UPNP port is also used by emulated_hue, si you might want to check that.

I still have to experiment if and both services degrade if I need some with that port assignment.

Hello, Iā€™m getting error when starting addon. I use supervisor in docker on rpi4, debian 10. Anybody had this issue? Thanks
[INFO] 127.0.0.1:33715 - 19934 "A IN 172-30-33-2.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct.local.hass.io. udp 99 true 2048" NOERROR - 0 0.000091702s [ERROR] plugin/errors: 2 172-30-33-2.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct.local.hass.io. A: plugin/forward: no next plugin found [INFO] 172.30.33.2:55826 - 19934 "A IN 172-30-33-2.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct.local.hass.io. udp 88 false 512" SERVFAIL qr,rd 88 0.005734835s [INFO] 172.30.33.2:37347 - 19934 "A IN 172-30-33-2.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct.local.hass.io. udp 88 false 512" SERVFAIL qr,aa,rd 88 0.000917233s [INFO] 172.30.33.2:53515 - 63897 "A IN 172-30-33-2.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct.local.hass.io. udp 88 false 512" SERVFAIL qr,aa,rd 88 0.00015724s [INFO] 172.30.33.2:33458 - 63897 "A IN 172-30-33-2.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct.local.hass.io. udp 88 false 512" SERVFAIL qr,aa,rd 88 0.000247239s [INFO] 127.0.0.1:33715 - 34859 "A IN 172-30-33-2.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct.local.hass.io. udp 99 true 2048" NOERROR - 0 0.000084296s [ERROR] plugin/errors: 2 172-30-33-2.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct.local.hass.io. A: plugin/forward: no next plugin found [INFO] 172.30.33.2:50156 - 34859 "A IN 172-30-33-2.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct.local.hass.io. udp 88 false 512" SERVFAIL qr,rd 88 0.001615911s [INFO] 172.30.33.2:48788 - 34859 "A IN 172-30-33-2.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct.local.hass.io. udp 88 false 512" SERVFAIL qr,aa,rd 88 0.000299497s

Just started to use hassio and have used plex before by running it manually. Now i canā€™t add my plex media server cause it canā€™t find it. When running it manually i was using host networking instead of bridged. How could i fix this ?

Arjan

Hello, Any option to save the Plex metadata/cache somewhere else? Iā€™m running out of space in my main partition. My Plex add-on folder is 6GB+ and growing. It seems 90% of it is in 3 sub-folders: Cache, Media, Metadataā€¦

is it possible to use an external disk as usb attached storage to the pi4?
for HA with supervisor

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™ve set up the plex media server addon and its working when I try to access it via the home-assistant-ip + 32400, but when i click on ā€˜open in web uiā€™ in the addon it takes me to ā€˜myduckdns.org:32400ā€™. So apparently this addon doesnā€™t work with a dns name. Is there some setting I can change, so I can make this work?

If you already open the port on your router and plex can communicate with outside, just go on plex.tv
Or you can have your own subdomain and use a reverse proxy if you want to redirect to your addon

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, yea probably easier to access it directly instead of with the button in ha. Iā€™ll take a look on how that reverse proxy works.

I had to rebuild my HA computer and run into a rpoblem ā€œclaim Code expiredā€ How do I get this working again ?

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing... 
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Add-on: Plex Media Server
 Recorded media, live TV, online news, and podcasts ready to stream.
 Add-on version: 2.5.3
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: Home Assistant OS 5.13  (amd64 / intel-nuc)
 Home Assistant Core: 2021.4.6
 Home Assistant Supervisor: 2021.04.0
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] plex.sh: executing... 
[00:26:06] INFO: First run! Initializing configuration files...
[00:26:07] FATAL: 
[00:26:07] FATAL: Something went wrong contacting the Plex API
[00:26:07] FATAL: Maybe your claim code is wrong or expired?
[cont-init.d] plex.sh: exited 1.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] 99-message.sh: executing... 
                Oops! Something went wrong.

We are so sorry, but something went terribly wrong when
 starting or running this add-on.

Be sure to check the log above, line by line, for hints.
[cont-finish.d] 99-message.sh: exited 0.
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.

I just installed Plex server and noticed that external USB is not supported.

ā€œThis is a Home Assistant limitation. In case youā€™d like to use extra devices, youā€™ll have to modify the host system yourself and is not supported by the Home Assistant project or Community add-ons team.ā€

Iā€™m running Home Assistant OS - are there any guides to do this on the host system itself when running Home Assistant OS on NUC or similar?

1 Like

Hi! Is there a way to rewind Plex a number of seconds? I know I can seek to a specific time and Iā€™ve tried using ā€˜-30sā€™ and such to achieve relative seek (i.e. go 30 seconds backwards), but to no success. Is there any way to rewind a specific amount of time?

type: grid
cards:
  - type: button
    tap_action:
      action: call-service
      service: media_player.media_seek
      service_data:
        seek_position: 300 # How can I specify relative time here?
      target:
        entity_id: media_player.plex_plex_media_player_foo
    name: Rewind

@frenck , it is possible to add feature to allow setting Library folder. The cache is backup together with home assistant and it is over 10GB. If you can allow option to use Library folder in /share/plexmediaserver give option not to backup /share folder.

Do we have the solution now how to add media library that is on network drive?

1 Like