Home Assistant Community Add-on: Plex Media Server

Did you ever find a way to mount an external share?

Hello @rlust , yes I forked the work of dianlight and I am trying to rebase on a monthly bases into the official addon.
You can try it from GitHub - lbouriez/hassio-addons: Repository of custom addons for hass.io

1 Like

Thank you so much!! It is ridiculous that there isnā€™t a way to do this with the standard add-on.

How can I add my movies and music on network drive?

I have Home Assistant Supervised installed on my Debian machine. I have this add-on installed and working for the most part, but I canā€™t for the life of me figure out how to get any of my own media to Plex. I could not find the referenced /share directory in root, so I created it and mounted my external drive to it. I also edited the fstab so that it automatically mounts there on reboot.

When I ā€œbrowse for media folderā€ in my library within Plex I can navigate to /share but the directory only contains a directory called ā€œtranscodeā€. I also tried to put the files from my external drive into the Videos folder within the Debian GUI, but I canā€™t find that from within Plex either.

Reading through the documentation and comments I am unsure if an external drive is supported at all, or if only network storage is unavailable? Might have to scrap this and try to install the Plex server directly to my Debian machine. Can this even be done, since it is already running my HA install? I am a bit of a noob, so that might be a dumb questionā€¦

hi,
did you have any solution for this? i have installed home assistant OS and some USB Filesystems, but they are not show in Plex

Iā€™m afraid I gave up in the endā€¦ I set up my plex server and actually havenā€™t got round to deciding where to run home assistant (I have a Homey which I use today and while I know Iā€™m going to move at some point I need a critical mass to push me!)

Trying to run Plex after not using it for a number of months. Upgraded to latest version of the add-on. Plex Web seems to be running fine, but there is no Plex server. Under settings in Plex web all I have is Plex Account and Plex Web. There is no server tab like described in the add-on documentation.

The Add On log from the supervisor doesnā€™t show anything after INFO: Starting the Plex Media Server... despite the log level being trace.`

If I exec a shell in the container, and look at /data/Plex Media Server/Logs/Plex Media Server.log I see an error about getaddrinfo

Dec 23, 2021 19:15:12.751 [0xb33b0d48] INFO - Plex Media Server v1.24.5.5173-8dcc73a59 - unknown Hass.io unknown - build: linux-armv7hf synology - GMT -05:00
Dec 23, 2021 19:15:12.752 [0xb33b0d48] INFO - Linux version: 5.4.79-v7l+ (#1373 SMP Mon Nov 23 13:27:40 GMT 2020), language: en-US
Dec 23, 2021 19:15:12.752 [0xb33b0d48] INFO - Processor Arm
Dec 23, 2021 19:15:12.752 [0xb33b0d48] INFO - Compiler is - Clang 11.0.1 (https://plex.tv e0c29d5827bc4eaaa2ceb882cbeed224b0960173)
Dec 23, 2021 19:15:12.752 [0xb33b0d48] INFO - /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server
Dec 23, 2021 19:15:12.971 [0xb27b2d48] WARN - Couldn't determine bundle identifier for plug-in at: "/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-8dcc73a59/WebClient.bundle"
Dec 23, 2021 19:15:13.266 [0xb28dad48] WARN - [MediaProviderManager] Unrecognized MediaProvider feature: availability
Dec 23, 2021 19:15:13.267 [0xb28dad48] WARN - [MediaProviderManager] Unrecognized MediaProvider feature: availability-platforms
Dec 23, 2021 19:15:18.827 [0xb2475d48] ERROR - getaddrinfo(172-30-33-5.abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz012345.plex.direct) failed: -2
Dec 23, 2021 19:15:31.690 [0xb2b05d48] WARN - NAT: PMP, got an error: Not Supported by gateway.
Dec 23, 2021 19:15:33.421 [0xb27b2d48] INFO - LibraryUpdateManager path watching is disabled

Any clues how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Without ability to access network shares, this add-on is useless on HomeAssitantOS. Too bad. I will have to add a lot more complexity to my stack.

No offense to @frenck, the add-on does what it can; home assistant really needs to implement this feature at the OS level.

3 Likes

Hi, sorry for the basic question, but iā€™m trying to set up a TV DVR using an Elgato Eye TV DTT tuner. Iā€™ve been able to associate it from the ESXi host to HassIO, but it is not showing in Plex DVR set up. Is this possible or a limitation of passing through usb devices to the addon container?

Look above, there is a fork that will let you access network drive, I am using it everyday without issue

N00b questions here: I have installed Plex and iā€™m using NginxPM and Cloudflare, I have set up a DNS for plex.mydomain.com to redirect to Plex on port 32400, and I can access this just fine. However, Iā€™m unable to enable remote access in Plex WebUI.

• Is enabling remote access relevant as I have a direct URL to my server? Should I forward my router for UDP/TCP port 32400 (Or any of the GDM ports) to my server IP at 192.168.x.x, or does this go through NGINX? I mean, I believe Plex has a 172.x.x.x IP on the docker network, so this confuses me a bit.

• When I stream inside my own house, I have my app connected to plex.mydomain.com. Does that send the stream out on the internet and back to my house, or is it just streamed on my local network?

Also, you can install SambaNas, that mounts an external drive into the media folder and it can be accesed by every addon, included this Plex Media Server.

Is it possible to cast media as a managed user instead of the server owner? I would like to cast media from my kids account and not my in order to not have wrong statistics for my user :slight_smile:

Just an appreciative Shout Out to @frenck @dianlight @lbouriez

It took me three days to get it goinā€“but I got it goin! Thank you for this add-on, Plex ia a big deal for my setup, and Im sure for alot of others. What ever you have your HA installed on, chances are thereā€™s not much hard drive space for movies on it. There is a big need here for this add on, I really hope you guys will continue with it.

For the other newbies and ex-insteon users (like me) out there who just started with HA a few weeks ago, this was a tough one! I wouldnt go thru it again, wait for a youtube video from one of the masters. Or better yet, leave Plex on its own, dont integrate to HA unless you have to (like me), or wait until its developed a little further, or a video walk thru so you dont have to spend 3 hours trying to figure out what a ā€œforkedā€ repository is and how to get it on your device :sweat_smile:

All that said, Im still extremely greatful to all the very smart developers, forum staff, and helpful members of the Home Assistant Community , thank you!

I installed the Plex media server add on today and I am having issues connecting remotely. My HA instance uses IP: 192.168.88.72 but this is showing another IP. I can connect locally with no issues however I cannot connect remotely ā€¦ if anyone can help

Iā€™m having this same issue. I added a port forwarding rule from my public IP to the IP of my Home Assistant instance but the remote access in plex isnā€™t working. Any advice on how to get this working?

I got it to work!

• On my router I forwarded port 32400 to the IP of my Home Assistant (TCP only)
  • In Plex under settings > Network > Advanced > Custom server access URLs I added http://homeassistant.local:32400/,http://(local ip):32400,http://(dynamic dns):32400/
  • In Plex under Remote Access > Advanced I clicked ā€œManually specify public portā€ and picked 32400 (the default)

And it started to work, Not sure if all of the steps above are required (If any of this is redundant let me know!)

1 Like

Thanks for this solution!!