Home Assistant Community Add-on: Portainer

HassOS I am currently running is read only system by default. I can install any official or unofficial app from HA repos added, but I can not install exactly the same app from the Portainer’s App Templates option.

I guess it is just matter of proper configuration in the Portainer for /config in the deployed container mapped to /portainer/Files/AppData/Config in the Host. Once it fails I am getting info like this
error while creating mount source path ‘/portainer/Files/AppData/Config’: mkdir /portainer: read-only file system

Looks like somebody before me tried this and it is not possible Redit link

Hello, I have a fresh install:

Add-on version: 1.5.1
You are running the latest version of this add-on.
System: Home Assistant OS 6.2 (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
Home Assistant Core: 2021.8.3
Home Assistant Supervisor: 2021.06.8

When I try to click on “primary” I get the following error:

Failure

Unable to connect to the Docker endpoint

Endpoint /var/run/docker.sock was not changed.

Everything had reset for some reason, and the add-on is no longer detech existing installation.

Log says admin account doesn’t exist, but it does:

2021/08/31 16:36:55 http error: No administrator account found inside the database (err=Object not found inside the database) (code=404)

Anyone else?

The portainer add-on is broken, the 2.6.2 version cannot add containers anymore. The error message is: Failure starting container with non-empty request body was deprecated since API v1.22 and removed in v1.24.

It seems to be there is an update, version 2.6.3 but not sure wether that fixes the issue.

Can the author of the portainer add-on @frenck please look into this?

See this thread…problem is solved two different ways

Thanks Douglas, I already read that thread but I read no solution, just a workaround. I have HA running in an image on my Qnap and am not going to mess around with that. As a workaround I installed the reactor container on a separate container on the Qnap but that is of course not ideal. I would prefer to be able to access reactor from within hass.

Hopefully portainer will be fixed or someone will build an add-on for Reactor

There’s an open Github issue for this Deploying any container results in error "starting container with non-empty request body was deprecated since API v1.22 and removed in v1.24" · Issue #127 · hassio-addons/addon-portainer · GitHub but I believe the position of the developers of Home Assistant is you shouldn’t be installing anything outside of the official and community addons on a supervised install.

If you are looking to install other containers and programs on the same machine as Home Assistant you may want to look at a Home Assistant container install. You then run Home Assistant on whatever OS or version of Linux you want that supports Docker, and can install Portainer to manage all the containers, including Home Assistant at that point, which is how I’m running it. Here’s the install instructions for Home Asssistant container - Linux - Home Assistant

You lose the add-ons, but most of the add-ons for Home Assistant, (zwavejs2mqtt, zigbee2mqtt, node red, nginx, wireguard, mariadb, etc) are available on their own that you can install through docker and/or portainer on your own, and manage yourself.

Did anyone managed to get the edge agent working? I have been trying but couldn’t do it yet. Using Docker API as endpoint working fine.
Before you ask, yes I enabled the port 8000 for the addon.

There is some detailed information here:

and decoding the key with

anyway I think the Portainer server URL setting is the problem since by default, it is 8123. Normally this should be 9000 but since portainer is only available with ingress, it is not working. I couldn’t find a way to solve this.
Any advice?

What is the default password for the add-on? Is it same as hassio root?

There isn’t one. You create a user with a username and password the first time you run it

How do I recover it. I have tried every know combination I could have set. What is the default hassio login?

There isn’t one.
You can poke around the .storage files and maybe find and delete the Portainer info and then setup a new login

Hi,
I am also attempting the same, it appears that docker agent wants to connect with 8000 + HTTP(s). there is conflicting info on this but this page seems to say its possible just using 8000 a --Tunnel-port flag but im not sure where this flag needs to be used maybe in the deployment of the agent HOWEVER… The Portainer Edge Agent - Portainer Documentation states ““Portainer now requires that only the 9000 and 8000 TCP ports are exposed. We used to serve the UI and the Portainer API from port 9000,””

I don’t think this is possible with the addon yet unless we can expose the UI on the home assistants host port but I think that may be disabled from what I could understand

This fork looks like it has the webui added back - testing it now https://github.com/alexbelgium/hassio-addons

Please, let me know if you got it working.

I have got it working…

For Clarity and to all whom may require the info…

I removed Community Portainer addon;
added GitHub - alexbelgium/hassio-addons: My homeassistant addons repo to HA;
Installed Alex’s Modified Portainer Addon;
Hop over to newly installed portainer addon’s configuration page and ensure Port 9000 / 8000 are populated to allow WebUI/Edge ports to reach outside host;

NOTE: Password for this addon is in Configuration tab under SSL options (Default pw: default)

Start addon;

Then follow edge-agent setup guide - https://downloads.portainer.io/edge_agent_guide.pdf
(New interface instructions: Add a new endpoint - Portainer Documentation)

NOTE: If you connect from HomeAssistant on port 8123 ensure that you change this port to 9000 to allow the api to resolve correctly. If accessing from HA;IP:9000 this will automatically populate correctly

Enjoy!

Glad I took notes… Struggling with the new interface now :roll_eyes:

Im sure it works still but to assist anyone else in the same boat this link is more updated then the former… :wink: Add a new endpoint - Portainer Documentation

3 Likes

Guys, I get this when I push to isntall. Any suggestions how to get Portainer from Alex working pls?

The command '/bin/bash -o pipefail -c apk add --no-cache nginx && if [ "${BUILD_ARCH}" = "aarch64" ]; then ARCH="arm64"; fi && if [ "${BUILD_ARCH}" = "armhf" ]; then ARCH="arm"; fi && if [ "${BUILD_ARCH}" = "armv7" ]; then ARCH="arm"; fi && if [ "${BUILD_ARCH}" = "amd64" ]; then ARCH="amd64"; fi && curl -L -s "https://github.com/portainer/portainer/releases/download/${BUILD_UPSTREAM}/portainer-${BUILD_UPSTREAM}-linux-${ARCH}.tar.gz" | tar zxvf - -C /opt/' returned a non-zero code: 1

Hi, pushed a v2.9.3-4 that should solve your issue. Could you please test ? Thanks

hi

Why is the official portainer discontinued?.

Read all about it below…