Home Assistant Core on Android Tablet

Great step by step guide.
I made it to SSL Certificate, than I just gave up end subcribe to HA cloud (i’m beginner for this stuff)
I have a question though.
I’m using nexus 5x phone for my project.
What is the easiest way to display sensors (5 temp, 5 humidity) as large as possible.
I try to use Bignumber-card in lovelace but got stuck.

Excellent instructions. Just got this up and running on a Tab S2 running LineageOS 16 and a Note 10.1 running LineageOS 18. The Note had been sat gathering dust so nice to have a use for it.
I’m only things locally while I experiment so I haven’t done any of the things to allow remote access. From doing this a couple of times I would make two changes to the instructions:

Get ssh running before anything else - you can then use your PC to do all the typing and use a proper screen which makes it much easier.

To autostart hass in the virtual environment using ‘source’ in the boot script might not work. To fix this I changed that line to:
. /data/data/com.termux/files/home/hass/bin/activate

• there is a space between the ‘.’ and the ‘/’

To autostart node-red you might not be able to use the link (node-red) and have to use node to start it:
node /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/lib/node_modules/node-red/red.js

Thanks for making this.

What is the performance of homeassistant on such hardware?

Surprisingly good. Using locally the devices seem to respond quicker than they do via the proper apps.

I have been looking for this to be on any android…Will give it a try again.
Also there is need of time for HA for Android phone which are more powerful then raspberry pi but lack support so that it can be installed using twrp or similar method.

I have tried termux on Redmi 1s, Micromax HS and even on Samsung Galaxy J2…but it fails mostly. But termux is working on Realme 5i, I even loaded Node Red on Realme 5i and it worked great.

Thanks Bro.

i’ve been trying to install following all the instructions (OS RessurectionRemix, android 7.1.2), but im getting many errors during the installation, the first one is when it tries to install cryptography-3.3.2.tar.gz.
when getting to the end, HAss is not installed.
does anyone know what the problem and how to fix it?

1 Like

Thanks for the great work you have done. I installed HA on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. First, when I run HA it gets stuck while trying to connect to my TV. It is not frozen bu doesn’t go ahead either. Meanwhile, I can log into HA web page and do preliminary setup, but there is no Supervisor option. Is this because of the package we installed, or being stuck in the middle of identifying entities? Thanks again.

I also encounter a problem, do you know any solution?

1 Like

I have the same problem when I choose America/Sao_Paulo.

I am getting same timezone error ! Anyone solved it ?

1 Like

Please check here: Install Home Assistant, Mosquitto broker and Node-Red on android - #483 by fuatakgun

Supervisor option cannot with inside Android as it requires containers . If you want to install it inside Android, only option is to have core as alone. Please do not forget Android installation is not supported.

The timezone got broken in the latest release. Install tzdata, restart and it should work fine.

1 Like

I’ve pretty much installed HA successfully on a Galaxy S4 (props to the guide writer!). But, I’m having trouble getting mobile_app running. I can’t get PyNaCl 1.4.0 to install in my hass venv, only 1.3.0 which isn’t working for mobile_app and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue.

Yep, had that exact issue when I updated to the latest version. After some trial and error I found out that the 2021.8 versions don’t work on Android due to needing PyNaCl 1.4.0. The most recent version I have got working is 2021.7.4 which still used PyNaCl 1.3.0. There are some other things which break on more recent versions so I think just stop with 2021.7.4 if you want everything to work. From the original instructions, to get this version installed properly then after running:

source hass/bin/activate

do these:

pip install pip==20.2.4
pip install wheel tzdata xmltodict pynacl==1.3.0 idna==2.8
pip install homeassistant==2021.7.4

These are all bits that if not done you’ll have to fix later so quicker to just install them from the start.

6 Likes

You’re a lifesaver. This worked perfectly; thanks!

Happy to help.

This may be out of the scope of this guide, but I’m having some issues just getting Termux running on a Galaxy Note 4 running Lineage 18.1. I’ve attached screenshots of what Termux is saying; if anyone could either help me understand what’s going on or point me to the right place to get help, that would be great!

Looks like the repository might have been down when you tried. Give it another go or do a clear cache/data from Termux then try again.

This is miss-titled as you are not using the android operating system, but replacing it with lineage operating system.
I have failed to find a Home Assistant server that runs on android, the only ones around are terminal programs. This includes the Home Assistant APK on Google Play!
The only servers on this website are for Raspberry Pi
ODROID
ASUS Tinkerboard
Windows
macOS and Linux
Although many people claim to have it running on android, I have yet to see any explanation as to how they did it!
It is very frustrating to run the Home Assistant APK and being asked where the server is, no default set up to run on the device itself. Every instruction demo I have seen so far jumps this step into a fully working program, where they can download “the extras”.