Home Assistant Core -- TrueNAS CORE Community Plugin

Hi
Was installing “Z-Wave over MQTT Integration”. That requires to install openzwave daemon from a custom repository (seems very easy with hass.io, but can’t find any instruction when you don’t have hass.io). Any idea how to do that?

/Martin

Hi Troy,
Many thanks for your work on this! It makes life very easy to installed HA!
There is one thing I just can not get AppDaemon running? I managed to create a token for this app & placed it into secretes. Try to start AppDaemon from side panel, it give me a blank page with nothing happening.
Try to go back to Freenas shell to see status --it say not running–
try to remove and reinstalled again, but still wouldn’t run?
Is there anything I have done wrong?
many thanks

I’m trying to figure this out myself – If ( and that’s a big if ) I can get it working I’ll make a seperate FreeNAS plugin to make it easier to install…

For now, I’m just using a dedicate RPI 3 – running raspbian-lite w/docker. So far it’s been working great w/HA on the FreeNAS

The side panel is just an Iframe link – You would need to use the FreeNAS shell ( Technically the jail shell ) to start appdaemon. The side panel will not unless appdaemon is already running

Usually it’s because the secrets is missing but since you added that already :thinking: – Let me give a quick test and make sure nothing has changed with the latest release of appdaemon … Just waking up here. Might be a few hours …

@Raymond_Cheung, I’m so sorry – I got completely sidetracked and forgot to report I installed AppDaemon with no issues…

Were you able to get this running yet? So the most likely cause it’s not running something in the configuration … I can try to help you get it sorted if your still troubleshooting it

I’m also unable to get Appdaemon running. Navigating the the appropriate url doesn’t work. Have tried restarting appdaemon, and also reinstalling it. If I select start, or restart, it says its starting but selecting the status option always shows it as not running. Any ideas?

EDIT: I worked it out. It seems setting time zone is critical for it to run and there is nothing in the documentation about setting time zone location properly. Using the default America/chicago allows it to run. I’m in UK/London, which didn’t work. I needed to change this to Europe/london.

Troy - I’m going to need your help again (sorry!)

In your original install thread you helped me get a hass-apps working as outlined in this post:

However, I can’t get it working with your new 11.3 install. I’ve followed the same procedure except that to get into the jail I just used the jexec command as your original help would just lead me to your scripted menu system. Can’t get Schedy to work. Would really appreciate your help (again!) :slight_smile:

Hi Troy,
Got it running now! It is the changing of the location data that is the corporate. In my area I change to New Zealand/Auckland which didn’t work. So revert back to the default America/Chicago. But anyway that will do for now.

Hi Troy, is there anyway to have IDE or a good text editor running on the HA core? Our current configurator is not very good. Under hassio it’s very easy but HA core looks impossible.
What editor are you using & hows that installed?

So basically what’s going on here … When appdaemon is pip installed (on any system), there are no configuration files provided … I have put together and included the configuration files that come with the FN plugin based on the AppDaemon configuration docs found here – I’m not sure where to find the correct format for each of your correct TZ locations but that should just be a general question for the appdaemon folks.

Really, this FN plugin has only added a pretty menu for convenience. There is still a serious lack of documentation of my part to explain everything that’s always been included since my first guide for FN 11 … But it boils down to this – The FN plugin is basically just a script to create a virtualenv and do a simple pip install – Just like the manual installation guides – The only thing I have really “created” are the FreeBSD init scripts used to run these programs. Even the HA Docs for FN use my init script – only difference are two variables, the default user and location of the virtualenv. – I some point, I swear I’ll get this documented to bridge that gap between clicking the install plugin button and understanding where to go next.

I’ll have a look and see if I can get it installed again – Also

iocage console homeassistant

Press 0 will exit the menu and you will be at the jail’s command line.

I agree about the configurator. I only use it for small edits – I do not have a way to include an IDE or better editor into HA core ( something available from the HA sidebar ) – Something like what is provided by the Hass add-on, would be ideally provided in this case by a separate FreeNAS plugin instead.

I edit my config over the network - I’m using “Code - OSS”, It is simply the Linux version of “VS Code” – I have the editor installed on my desktop computer and I created a file share on FN to the location of the HA configuration. The FN plugin will already have set the group permissions for to rw so there should be no need to mess with permissions – I have created the hass group with an ID 8123 on my FreeNAS and added myself ( the user I connect to my FN shares with ) to the hass group I created on FN. This setup is using the group permissions to share write access to the files with HA – It is important do not set, change, modify or any way alter the permissions from the FreeNAS UI and especially not from Windows. This again, I apologize, is something I have covered in previous guides but have failed to updated for 11.3

Thanks Troy. Any help wold be appreciated.

On a separate note, for some reason I don’t appear to be able to create a mount point inside the HA plugin jail to access all the config files on a samba share. I can’t create the mount as it needs to be an empty destination directory, and I can’t create the mount in a fresh jail before installing the plugin because the HA plugin won’t install into an existing jail. Not sure how to get this working either.

EDIT: I clearly needed more coffee before posting - of course, I can just create a share into the jail itself rather than creating a mount point. Doh!

Are you getting any errors when trying to install hass-apps or after it is installed? I have gone this far with no errors. Unfortunately, I’m not using hass-apps so I’m not sure how to further test if this is working.

## Press `0` to exit the menu

su - hass
  source /srv/appdaemon/bin/activate
  pip3 install --upgrade hass-apps
  deactivate && exit

lol, it’s ok. This trick you have discovered has only worked starting with FN 11.3 – Previous versions of FN would require the separate dataset if you wanted to share over the network.

There are still advantages to having a separate dataset for the configuration but it is no longer required.

EDIT: I think I have a week before I possibly go back to work – I’ll try to prioritized some remaining time off for getting my documentation updated.

Thanks Troy. I think it was an issue with the appdaemon installation not working properly. After a complete wipe and reinstall of the whole jail it appears to be working. The trouble with hass-apps is there is very little to help troubleshoot the install other than automations/schedules not working.

Give this try to “watch” the appdaemon log file – It might be useful to help troubleshoot

# Press `0` to exit the menu
tail -f /var/log/appdaemon_daemon.log

Now if you leave this window open – the terminal will update as new lines are added to the log file. ( When your finished “watching” Press ctrl+c to exit back to the command line )

Thanks for the tip.

On a separate note, one feature that I really liked in your previous install was the ability to check config and restart HA from a single click within the UI itself (under Server Controls). The server would not restart if there was a config issue. Having this moved to the Freenas console is much less convenient. Any chance this could be reinstated?

I think you looking for advanced mode :slightly_smiling_face:

Just to clear up here – I did not move anything, I have only added a menu and scripts so you do not have to copy and paste lines by doing things manually. This plugin is just a path for installation – Aside from the example configuration files that are provided for a clean install – I do not make any changes to these programs

The check_config option found in the console menu is running the command as described here

hass --script check_config

But why have it in the console if it’s already in the HA GUI ? … Well maybe you need to check your config and HA is not running … also if you ask for help with configuration issue on discord, you will most likely get a reply from a bot …

In other words … using the console menu is running the configuration check command as suggested

Of course, thanks for clarifying! My new install appears to be running well now. After months of waiting for building work to be completed, I’m finally deploying the whole server to my new house extension this weekend with automations for everything from coffee machine, lights, electric blinds, skylights, heating. Wish me luck!

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you very much for the plugins to Freenas.
After having Homeassistant and Mqtt running fine for some time. Homeassistant has lost connection to mqtt.
I have testet from a windows client. and mqqt is getting data form sensors.
I have made a new install of the mqtt plugin -didn’t help.
I have made a new plugin install og Homeassistiant still no data from mqtt.
And when i add mqtt as integration it says ok.
Hope someone can guide me to some logfiles that can shine some light over this.
Forgot I can ping the Mqtt server from the Homeassistant jail.
I am just using the default user roger and password for mqtt
Thanks
CJDK

You work miracles, as always.

I was wondering… Have you ever managed to integrate Node-RED? I don’t understand how to get them connected

The default settings for the Mosquitto FN plugin are set for anonymous access. - Did you create the user roger and set the same password for the mqtt broker inside the mosquitto jail?

You can use the iframe integration to add Node-RED in the side panel of HA. Configuration is simple

panel_iframe:
  nodered:
    title: Node-RED
    icon: mdi:sitemap
    require_admin: true
    url: http://192.168.10.15:1880

To setup Node-RED, I followed @digiblur video - Link should start at the part you need.

2 Likes