Home Assistant desktop app (Electron )

Hi,

because I needed a Home Assistant desktop-app, I played around with Electron (the base of Atom) and created this:

I published the source and a little how-to guide on GitHub.
Because I use Electron, it should work with Windows, Linux and Mac.

https://github.com/matthinc/HomeAssistantElectron

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :wink:

You can download the binary releases here:

Releases

40 Likes

Great idea! Never thought about doing this for some reason. I’ve added an icon to my local copy, I’ll send you a PR for it shortly…

2 Likes

Can it be made so you can configure the server address in the app? That way you don’t have to compile the app and we can just run an “.exe”.

2 Likes

@legoracers Yes, that’s definitively the plan.
I hope to publish the first binaries in a week or so.

2 Likes

Thank you! Just built a Mac version. Will build Linux & Windows versions later today.

3 Likes

I just published the first release for Windows/OS X.
You can download it here: https://github.com/matthinc/HomeAssistantElectron/releases/latest.

Please note, that the project is still in a very early phase.
If you find any bugs, please report them here or on GitHub.

6 Likes

Just booted up the Mac version. Seems to be working fine so far. This is awesome!

1 Like

awesome! Just downloaded windows version and it seems to be working great!

1 Like

Thank you all for the feedback!
I just built the second release https://github.com/matthinc/HomeAssistantElectron/releases/tag/0.2.

Now the app can remember the HASS-password so that you don’t have to type it in, every time you start the app.
I also fixed some minor bugs.

If there is a feature, you want to see in the next build, just let me know :wink:

1 Like

Cool, thanks! Using in Windows…
It’s nice to have a virtual desktop with all HA related stuff and this is a great complement.

Pictures or didn’t happen. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here we go :slight_smile:
Desktop 1: default workspace
Desktop 2 (print): HA playground: shortcuts, yaml files, desktop app, chrome with docs…

Just found that weblinks isn’t working

@mviezzer Oh - thank you for the information!

I will fix this tonight.

Release 0.3 is out!

Mainly bugfixes and changes under the hood.

1 Like

What’s the difference between this and running chrome in app mode?

@bbrendon The app is indeed pretty similar to Chrome in app mode at the Moment. (Except from some features like auto-login and the ‘Go’ menu).
I’m planning some features for the future (Notifications, SysTray integration, More menu stuff etc.) which would not be possible in chrome.
Also some design touches (in the OS X version) would not be possible with pure chrome.

For people like me, who change their devices pretty often, it’s also pretty handy to have an all-in-one solution like this. Just download, enter HASS credentials and use.

Thanks for the APP, I am using it all the time.:slight_smile:
It would be great if the APP saves the size of the Window when restarting the APP. I keep dragging it bigger every time I open it.

Bjarne

2 Likes

This is just awesome. Great work. How hard would it be to create a DARK mode. I’m not sure why Paulus has not done this. It’s hard on the eyes at night.

1 Like

@KmanOz I’m already injecting some code into the HomeAssistant webview (e.g. for the auto-login or the ‘go’-menu), so it should theoretically work. But I’m not sure, how much CSS classes / styles have to be changed to archive a working dark mode.

But I think, that’s a really good idea and will check out soon whether or not this is possible.

1 Like