Home Assistant desktop app (Electron )

Any thoughts that this could provide native nortifications to OSX? Or allow cross platform notifications? :grinning:

@moralmunky Iā€™m working in this at the moment :smiley:
Will be in the next release.

2 Likes

Can there be a option to hide the top option bar(Go, Edit and Developer)? Pressing the ALT button maybe

1 Like

I noticed youā€™re using electron-builder to create the package, have you been working on adding auto-update support yet?
Itā€™s pretty easy to set it up, it can work with Github Releases, and it would be easier to make sure everybody is using the latest version before they submit bugs :wink:

(I recently created an electron app myself, combining messages regarding updates in my frontend, but anything should be possible, basically this is all you need)

3 Likes

@tmatheussen Oh thank you - thatā€™s a great example! I will definitively play around with this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me know when you need help :wink:
The docs are sometimes not that clear, but this section might help to get a simple version working first: https://github.com/electron-userland/electron-builder/wiki/Auto-Update

2 Likes

I Just published a new version. Release 0.4 The main features are:

• A message when there is a new version available (thank you @tmatheussen !)
  • Desktop notifications for mac/windows (optional)
  • The window remembers its size
  • Some general stability improvements
3 Likes

Great work on the app! Iā€™ve been appreciating it since the first release.

I am having trouble with the 0.4 on Mac. When I first installed, it loaded up fine. I checked the save window dimensions and desktop notification options in settings, and then quit the app and reopened. Now I am getting the below error on startup, and the app does not load.

I even did a clean uninstall via AppCleaner, and problem remained. Iā€™ve reverted to 0.3, and that is still functional.

Let me know if I can help troubleshoot in any way.

1 Like

Can you share some information regarding the notifications? Does this utilize the html5 notification component?

@moralmunky
Electron has a very nice cross-platfrom notification library.
I use a Javascript file which is injected in the Home Assistant webview: preload.js

As you see (line 25) I just observe the style of the notification component in Home Assistant and create the notiofication. This is is very simple in Electron:

new Notification('Home Assistant', {body: message})

Hope that helps

this is nice! thanks!

Is there a secret to getting this to work? All Iā€™m getting is a blank grey screen. I saw a login window once but stupidly pressed login without entering my password and now it hasnā€™t been back.

Edi: Nvm just made a Chrome desktop app. Man why didnā€™t I do this a long time agoā€¦

Hi, @itchaboy,

Just click on the menu item ā€œDeveloper > Reset Configurationā€ and restart the app.
Then you should be able to enter your credentials again.

Iā€™m not sure what happened. Mightā€™ve been an HA update (running the latest release), but unable to connect anymore. Trying to connect via SSL through the web and it is ā€œconnectingā€ and never loads. Trying to access locally, it just shows a blank screen.

1 Like

Still working well here, but Iā€™m not running SSL. You may want to try resetting the app.

Iā€™ve tried resetting, uninstalling and removing all traces of preferences and reinstalling.

Iā€™m sorry to hear that. Iā€™m currently in holiday and have no Computer with me. Iā€™ll check that when Iā€™m home again.

nice work :+1:

OK great! Thank you.

Sorry, I just checked everything again and it works fine for me. I use SSL / dyndns myself. What OS/version do you use?