Home Assistant ios app not updating location

same issue here… I deleted the integration entries and reset the apps on the phones but battery level and location don’t update

Get lots of these in the logs.

Logger: homeassistant.components.mobile_app.webhook
Source: components/mobile_app/webhook.py:186
Integration: mobile_app (documentation, issues)
First occurred: April 27, 2020, 9:48:13 PM (31occurrences)
Last logged: 8:35:27 AM

• Received invalid webhook payload: required key not provided @ data[12][‘state’]. Got None
  • Received invalid webhook payload: required key not provided @ data[11][‘state’]. Got None

Same here, all new entities for the phone were created on update to iOS 13.4.1, thought that might have been it but no dice.
Went for a walk and came back home, the phone only updated the step count when it got home, didn’t update it’s location or it’s SSID/BSSID on arrival back home either.

Hopefully this will be able to be updated soon. At least we know a lot of people are using the app :slight_smile:

I’m having the same issue here…
I hope it can be fixed soon!!

are zone automations working for you? My sensors won’t update at all, but tried a zone based automation which worked, very strange.

settings as below:

• access location always
  • background updates
  • use mobile data

I’m still having this same issue. Weird that is is mostly on our wives’ phones! LOL
I may try putting the beta app on hers to see if that helps, but it is annoying. It used to work great so I think it may be something with an iOS update that caused it.

Stranger, the “person” entity I created uses router and iOS. Based on how the person entity should work, when she is ‘away’ via the router, she should show ‘away’ as a person …this is not the case for me.

Another same issue here…
my phone with android working great, my wife’s iphone not updating at all - always home

We have iOS devices and I’ve experienced this issue a few times – sometimes after an HA upgrade, sometimes after an app upgrade, and not necessarily both devices. Once, it just resolved somehow. This was after granting permissions again, trying to reinstall the app, etc.

I also exported logs to read them and turned on the zone notifications in the app. Oddly, these would fire (i.e. I’d receive the notification) and the updates would be in the logs, but HA would still think the device’s location hasn’t changed. I’m not sure whether it had to do with my NabuCasa integration either.

I found that the best (but it can also be risky) is to delete the devices and all the accompanying sensors from the JSON files in your .storage folder. Then, log in again from the app and HA will recreate everything. Please don’t follow my advice if you are not comfortable editing JSON files as you can easily wreck your installation. It’s perhaps also not officially recommended, but this has been the way that worked for me.

(Bonus: This will also solve the issue where duplicate devices or sensors show up or where only certain sensors update – there are other threads about this. It is a tedious thing to do though.)

Thanks for the info - I just checked the logbook and see events related to the iphone when it came home; I see iPhone Activity changed to Walking, iPhone Geocoded Location changed to our home address, iPhone Last Update Trigger changed to Significant Location Change. Of course the Person state was already home before all this, and didn’t change after these entries.

When I look back earlier in the logbook I see the same sort of entries at the time my wife left the house, including Last Update Trigger changed to Background Fetch, but no Significant Location Change, and the Geocoded Location in that group of entries is still the home address - so it looks like it just isn’t getting location updates from out of the house, but probably would work if it did. I’ll check the phone itself again for anything weird in the permissions. I know when we installed the app (a few days ago) I selected location update always, but maybe something else in the os is blocking it.

Something I also noticed: my daughter puts her iPhone often in the energy saving mode. If so, then the location update doesn’t work properly.

I think it may be related to nabu casa setup in the ios app. I just enabled a cloud connect option in the app (though it still seemed to want an external URL entered, which I tried to enter the nabu url, but it rejected that).

Anyway I’ll see how it goes with the cloud remote UI option selected.

I think this is by design (by Apple): Fewer GPS updates save battery. The app can only respond to that.

I’ve struggled with the cloud settings too where it didn’t populate the field automatically. I just kept trying by going to the website and enabling the remote option from there and then eventually it got set up. Luckily, that hasn’t happened again recently (it once just lost the URL that was configured).

I experienced also this location update issue. What I found in the logs in the assistant app on my iPhone was that the app was unable to update its location because the “ location info was too old”.
I changed my internal url to the url I also use for external connection, then deleted and reinstalled the app so that everything gets imported again from the settings/server. And voila, it worked.
Definately something that needs a fix sometime.

1 Like

Good to hear you made progress and that there is hope. I suspect the problem may be the same at my place having had some issues with connection strings already (after a nabu casa trial period). I am now a paying customer of nabu casa and am connecting through cloud when not home. But my connection settings seem off as both external and internal url is listed as my internal one. What did you use as external url? And are you a nabu casa customer?

Yes, I figured out that I have to use a dynamic IP address service to access my account rather than using an internal IP address. I’m using the duckdns.org add-on.

I got the location update function working and it has been working for a couple of days now. I have read in another discussion, that the issue might be related to Spaces in the iPhone’s name. My wife’s iPhone Update was always working and her phone’s name is ‘iPhone’. My phone was called ‘Hans’s iPhone’. I now changed the name of my iPhone to ‘iPhoneH’ and now the location update works.
I am not entirely sure, if this new name really resolved the issue or if it just helped Home Assistant to re-create the Integration and this solved the issue. I will monitor the situation, but you guys might wanna try renaming your phone and see if it helps.

1 Like

mine has only one name (without spaces!) but stille have the issue…
it works for 2 days… after that I have to open and close the app

is there a fix for this ?

did you get this to work?

Hey, I had the same issues recently…and it seems like it was related to a capital letter on iPhone name. changing that worked for me at least, even with spaces in iPhone name