Home assistant losing connection

Hi

I am a new user, just installed HAOS on windows using virtual box. Got everything working with my devices added and a few automations set up.

Tested the automations using run action and they worked perfectly. However they did not run at the expected time. So when I tried to check using the android app I got an error and was unable to connect. So when to the PC and in the bottom left of HA it says connection lost, reconnecting…
My internet connection was still up as I could access any other website.
I closed and restarted virtual box and was able to login to HA again.

Next day the same thing happened again. Rather than closing virtual box I tried pausing and starting several times but still could not connect. So closed it and restarted then once again it connected without issue. I tried using the app about 30 min later and once again the connection was lost.

I had disabled all power saving settings in windows 10, but the same day as installing HA my pc was udated to windows 11. Checked all power settings again and disabled sleep etc and everything on highest performance.

I am a complete beginner with HA and also VB. Any ideas what is causing this or what I need to check? Any help or advice appreciated

Edit: Forgot to mention that this does not happen as long as I am using HA on the PC. It is only after Ieave it idle which is why I thought it might be to do with windows power settings but I am sure I have disabled all settings.

1 Like

Windows power saving can be a tricky issue. Just because you have the global settings off, for some stupid reason that doesn’t always make it to devices. I would check every device, in device manager for a energy setting.

1. What type of computer are you using?

2. What does the vBox VM terminal windows show while in this ‘failed’ state?

I have an acer desktop running win 11. Not sure what other info you need about the pc.

Screenshot of the terminal window

Im not sure now if it is to do with power settings. If it was then would the issue not resolve when i start using the pc again. i have tried pausing and starting vb, restarting the browser but page stays unavailable. The only thing that seems to work is closing vb.

Is there any log that may shed some light on this?

I have also checked every item in device manager. Any one that had power management tab I have turned off the option for power saving.
Restarted the pc just in case and will see now if there is any change.

Thanks

If you loose connection again, try typing these commands in terminal and see what is returned.

ha core info

and or

ha supervisor info

Since your using a VM you may want to update to 8.1 as it’s supposed to fix a VM acpipowerbutton bug (graceful VM/HA shutdown command) (Make sure you perform a backup first) :wink:

1 Like

So I updated core and supervisor and it has just happened again. As suggested I used the 2 commands and got the following results

Any ideas?

What happens when you restart HA from terminal? Comes back up ok?

ha host reboot

Here’s a list of commands

Just tried host reboot and it came back as normal

So HA isn’t locking up then (as it responds to the command) Hmmmm I’m not sure… I think I would start removing Integrations and add-ons, one at a time to see if the problem persist.

OR

Roll a new VM with with nothing added (just the normal on-boarding completed) to see if the problem persists.

I’m running HAOS 7.6 and vBox build .30 on Windows 10 Pro without this issue. (I have boot issues with OS 8 and 8.1 at this point)

Ok will try this and see how it goes. Thanks for the help so far

1 Like

So i tried a new vm with no add ons. I thought the problem was fixed as it seemed to stay online a bit longer but after a while i got the same error.

Do you know how i can downgrade to os 7.6?
i tried the command ha os update --version 7.6.
it showed processing… done
then error: unknown error, see supervisor

edit: i found the 7.6 download so will try this

I managed to get HAOS 7.6 and also installed an older version of vbox but still having the same issue.

Again this is without adding anything in HA.

My plan was to buy the odroid n2+ but decided to use the PC for a more powerful system. Maybe I should go with the original plan if this is a windows only issue

Well that sucks. If you want to continue to diag. this problem, and have Windows 10 Pro, I would try setting up a Hyper-V VM and see if it fails their also. If so then the problem has to be within your system / network right?.

Yea I was thinking to try a different vm. Probably won’t get round to it until tomorrow…
Thanks again

1 Like

Hi guys! I’m having the same problem, how did you solve it?
Thanks in advance,
//Lukas

I didn’t solve it. I gave up on virtual machines and installed haos directly on a laptop using x86 method

I have the same problem. I have install HA on a HP mini PC using x86 method.
I get this message over and over again. It is very frustrating and annoying!
Is there really no solution??? Is there really no solution?
I’ve looked all over the internet and no one seems to know how to fix this problem.

1 Like

I guess the issue is not HAos, but virtual box, i also had many issues with stability under Vbox.

Try VMWare player, or if you don’t need usb, even HyperV

I installed Home Assistant OS. I don’t have any other operating system like Debian, Windows, Ubuntu, etc.
I had Home Assistant installed in Debian and it restarted in the same way. Could it be from an add-on?
I don’t understand.

I think I’m going crazy after all!. I reinstalled it and started installing everything again in HA OS. Unfortunately, after 10-15 minutes it starts to restart over and over again.
I think unfortunately HA is not for me and unfortunately I have come to that conclusion after about 2 years of using it.
It seems to me that it doesn’t want to work at all anymore.

1 Like