Home Assistant - New Zealand

Good choice! I recently bought a Lenovo M10 HD 2nd Gen from PBTech as well. I was originally using an old Amazon Kindle Fire 8" tablet, but it was very slow and frustrating to use, and the charging port started to have problems, so I decided to get a new one. It’s been sitting in my office for a little bit, but I finally got around to setting up Fully Kiosk browser tonight. I highly recommend it!
The Fully PLUS Single License is reasonably priced as a one-time payment. I just migrated my license over to the new device with no problems. The Home Assistant integration is really nice and you can control everything on the tablet with automations. The Fully Kiosk app has built-in support for motion detection using the camera and can turn the screen on and off with a timer. I like to sync it with the bathroom lights though, so the screen turns off immediately when we turn off the bathroom lights, which is nice at night when we’re going to sleep.

I’m using a Lippert Bottlecheck Bluetooth GAS Gauge that I bought from RV Super Centre. I have an ESP32 board nearby that listens for the BLE messages. It’s been working pretty well for the last few months but it is a bit annoying that I have to move it over to the other bottle when one runs out, so I’ve also ordered some load sensors that should arrive soon.

Here’s all the config for my LPG sensors: lpg_bottles.yaml · GitHub
(I’m using the “Packages” feature in Home Assistant to organize my config into different files and folders.)

The “days left” sensor is mostly done by using utility_meter sensors to track usage over days, weeks, months, etc. Also a statistics sensor to calculate the average over 14 days.

Awesome thanks! That’s given me some stuff to unpack :smiley:

Just a quick question… @ndbroadbent what is the value of sensor.garage_gas_bottle_receiver_lpg_bottle_sensor_distance? Just curious.

I ended up going for a Lenovo M10 Plus 2K 3rd Gen which has 2000x1200 screen res - it’s perfect for HA dashboard. Been working to clean up lots of stuff and very happy where it is at now. Ive just finished my gas bottle level/weight update automation to include a few if-thens to cover off things like: No gas bottle on the scale (eg its being switched over) and the clean up constant up/down drift (even tho it’s very slight) on the load cells. Also consolidating the energy tab into the home tab and only really sowing what is needed.

3 Likes

Hey @ndbroadbent awesome dashboard! how did you get the news feed cards working? mine are always hit and miss so guess i am doing something wrong

Hello

We are from Brazil, living in Christchurch for the past 9 years. We recently moved to our house here in Rolleston.

My dashboard is heavly based on Lewis from Everything Smart Home using Mushroom and Minimalistic

Luckly the previous owner had a Intensis Cloud module already connected to the Fujitsu Central Heat Pump and this was a piece of cake to add to HA. At our previous house, I installer a esp32 integrated to the Mitsubishi heatpump.

The temperature/humidity is monitored by Xiaomi Mijia LYWSD03MMC Sensor integrated with a Bluetooth proxy.

For the lights it’s a mix of Tasmotized Sonoff Minis for the non dimmable, a couple of Tuya lights integrated with Local Tuya and Tasmota pre-flashed Martin Jerry Dimmer switches that I bought from Amazon US.
Lights can also be controlled by a pair of Aqara zigbee buttons.

We also have a Ring doorbell, Ring-MQTT integration works ok for notifications, there’s some delay as it’s battery only and we are not paying for their subscription. Looking to replace that by a Reolink soon.

Previous owner also installed a Bosh security system, but I disable that and replaced it with a ESP32 to integrate the PIR sensors and swapped one of the PIRs by a Hi-Link LD2410b with EspHome.

The wish list:
Reolink cameras
Zigbee Door/window sensors
A wall mounted tablet at the Dinning/Kitchen area
Irrigation Control

Glad to know there’s an Aotearoa HA community :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello, a Christchurch user here. 2 of us is almost a user group.

Nice work!

Hi everyone, I’m using Contact for electricity, but I might be interested in switching to Powershop. They’re cheaper, but I also saw that they install a smart meter and have an app where you can track usage, so it would be cool to get that data into Home Assistant if possible. Does anyone know if there’s an integration, or if they have an API? Or are there are any other smart meters that are supported by Home Assistant?

EDIT: @Greminn I just saw your comment about scraping Powershop rates - Home Assistant - New Zealand - #39 by Greminn

I saw they used to have a public API with some docs on GitHub, but they’ve shut it down unfortunately: GitHub - fluxfederation/powershop-api: Old Powershop API documentation, libraries and sample code

Have you guys seen this post?

1 Like

Thanks for pointing it out.

I was with Powershop, switched to Contact. They’ve shut down their API a few years ago.
I used to scrape their website using multiscrape to get my daily consumption into Home Assistant.

Yep - been using this with Multiscrape and whilst not ideal, it does seem to work consistently. I guess until they change their website.

Can’t believe I’m only just finding this thread now…

A little update to our wall tablet dashboard…. We like to shoot off to the beach for a bike ride, esp at low tide… added tide times via this GitHub - muxa/home-assistant-niwa-tides: Custom integration for Home Assistant to get New Zealand tide information from NIWA Tides API - then added a panel to the dashboard:

2 Likes

Very interested in the YAML for this, if you’re able to share?

I like to make HA do all the work for me LOL

type: custom:mushroom-template-card
primary: High Tide
secondary: >-
  The current tide phase is {{ state_attr('sensor.local_tides', 'tide_phase')
  }} 

and the upcoming high tide is projected to reach {{
  state_attr('sensor.local_tides', 'next_high_tide_level') }} meters. 

Anticipated within the next {{ state_attr('sensor.local_tides',
  'next_high_tide_hours') }} hours, it is expected to occur at {{
  state_attr('sensor.local_tides', 'next_high_tide_time').strftime('%H:%M') }}
layout: vertical
multiline_secondary: true
tap_action:
  action: none
hold_action:
double_tap_action:

Oh very cool - totally using this thanks!

for a tide chart, take a look here Tides in Lovelace - #14 by nickrout