Home assistant not seeing IR blaster as remote

Hi,

First of all thank you for your time reading this. I’m going to explain my end goal, my issue and all the stuff I’ve tried to get it to work.

Goal
The IR blaster from Moes the UFO-R11 is supposed to be used to control my dumb IR AC from mitsubishi. I want to be able to control it in a climate card to set te temperature, read the room temperature (from a different sensor) and set the modes (heat, cool, dry…) as well as control the swing mode.

My journey so far
The connection of the IR blaster to zigbee2mqtt and HA went ok ish. It is recognized fully in zigbee2mqtt with all its functionalities. However the sending of IR codes functionality is not seen in HA. As in this topic you can see it’s not only me with that issue. The proposed solution for sending custom topics with a code in the payload works. This would however mean that i need to create an automation for every temperature setting * mode * swing. Which will be a lot. Feels it can be better.

Quickly I came around the project SmartIR which seemed promissing. However since this is not a broadlink blaster, set up is not going well. I says it is supporting MQTT but then I also run into a problem of not finding a remote. See the error from the HA logs.

ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.smartir.climate] Unable to find service remote.send_command

Because HA doesn’t see my device as a remote, it seems SmartIR doesn’t execute MQTT requests or something.

So I was trying to add the sending entity to my device in HA. I found the following thread where they add a switch to a light bulb. I thought I could use that but I’m stuck on trying to get it to work. I off course need a template with a variable for the IR code to be send. Can’t really find how it is supposed to work. I have the following in my YAML file

example_create:
    alias: 'IR Slaapkamer send - Create'
    sequence:
        service: mqtt.publish
        data:
          topic: 'homeassistant/remote//0x187a3efffe2f1cd2/ir_code_to_send/config'
          retain: true
          payload: >
            {
              "device": {
                "identifiers": [
                  "zigbee2mqtt_0x187a3efffe2f1cd2"
                ],
                "manufacturer": "Moes",
                "model": "Universal smart IR remote control (UFO-R11)",
                "name": "IRslaapkamer"
              },
              "json_attributes_topic": "zigbee2mqtt/IRslaapkamer",
              "name": "IRslaapkamer ir code to send",
              "state_topic": "zigbee2mqtt/IRslaapkamer",
              "unique_id": "0x187a3efffe2f1cd2_ir_code_to_send_zigbee2mqtt",
              "value_template": "{{ value_json.ir_code_to_send }}",
              "platform": "mqtt"
            }

example_delete:
    alias: 'IR Slaapkamer send - Delete'
    sequence:
      service: mqtt.publish
      data:
        topic: 'homeassistant/remote//0x187a3efffe2f1cd2/ir_code_to_send/config'
        retain: true
        payload: ''

Can anyone help me with either adding the ir_code_to_send entity to HA?

looks like you got pretty close! i figured out how to get the UFO-R11’s cousin working, the Tuya ZS06.

Thank you for your help! Haven’t got time to get to this. Baby came in between. When I have time again, I will have a look. At first glance, it looks promissing.