Home Assistant not starting - Could not parse JSON core.config_entries

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix?

I dont see any obvious errors in the file like missing { etc but I am a dabbler...

Running in docker(portainer) on a synology NAS, node-red, HACS.

Manually tried to remove the sonos-alarm integration after it didnt delete through the UI.

Also been having trouble with it taking 30+mins to restart HA with it throwing an error about trying to start the recorder integration but I havent been able to find any reference to that integration anywhere to know where its coming from. At the moment it isnt getting that far.

Thanks

ERROR (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.util.json] Could not parse JSON content: /config/.storage/core.config_entries

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/util/json.py", line 32, in load_json

return json.loads(fdesc.read()) # type: ignore

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/json/__init__.py", line 357, in loads

return _default_decoder.decode(s)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/json/decoder.py", line 337, in decode

obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/json/decoder.py", line 355, in raw_decode

raise JSONDecodeError("Expecting value", s, err.value) from None

json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 313 column 9 (char 11908)

I am getting the exact same error and it keeps happening, however I don’t know how to fix the issue completely, have you managed to resolve this?

I think the core.config_entries file is supposed to be populated, however this is totally empty when I output the file. Manually adding { } to the file, due to it being JSON, and restarting the container resolves this issue, until it comes back again several days/weeks later. However, all my integrations get removed and I have to re-add them all.

I am running Home Assistant Core on a Docker container too. I also had HACS installed but removed it due to thinking it could be the problem. However, since removing HACS, the issue returned today, proving that this isn’t the problem.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Happened to me also, weird. It totally killed HA, using supervisor in a docker container.

[homeassistant.util.json] Could not parse JSON content: /config/.storage/core.device_registry

} } "config_entries": [ "691660c26f2a4277915..." ],

Likely a race condition of some sort.

To fix, jump into the container with homeassistant:

docker container ls
=> 53a6e59886d3        homeassistant/tinker-homeassistant:2021.3.4      "/init"                  2 weeks ago         Up 6 minutes                                                                             homeassistant
docker exec -it 53a6e59886d3 /bin/bash

then adding an empty element to .storage/core.device_registry - I didn’t have a recent backup, did an empty “data”: {“devices”: [] removing all the “config_entries” mess.

Not sure what I lost, but it looks to be populated again, and more importantly, the server comes up.

Yes this is how I have fixed the issue in the past, but it consistently occurs, three times in the past week to be exact! I am starting to lose my patience with Home Assistant to be honest due to this issue.

To try and find the core issue I have only added two integrations (Hue and Tuya) to get me by for the next week or so and to see if the problem still arises. If so, I may have to start totally from scratch.

For the record I am running HASSOS in KVM on a Ubuntu box, I updated HA to the latest version and lost my instance (appeared to boot but no web frontend). After many hours of fiddling got it working again, only for it to fallover again the first time I rebooted the instance. My core.config_entries file is full of json so need to investigate a bit more why this particular file is an issue

So I’m using NUC with Unraid and HA in docker… after power outage same happened to me core.config_entries is empty

I think I’m having this exact issue! Did you find a good resolution? How did you get it to work again initially? I’m in this same state where it appears to boot but no frontend is accessible. I’d like to get a GUI working again so I can copy/paste my configs into a text editor and just build a brand new VM (I’m in VirtualBox on MacOS) and port over the config. Unfortunately I don’t have any SSH client installed and can’t get one working from the CLI to recover the configs while it’s in this half-running state…

Sorry Nort, it was so long ago I cannot remember what the solution was. I now run HA on Proxmox as I spent more time learning esoteric Linux than playing with HA. Good luck.