Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi, HASS.io, Conbee II, deCONZ, Xiaomi Aqara from scratch (How-to)

Hi there!

I recently discovered the Home Assistant project and wanted to run it myself.

Goal was to run it on a Raspberry Pi together with those cheap Xiaomi Aqara sensors but without the Xiaomi gateway. As these are Zigbee devices you need a Zigbee gateway (Conbee II stick) and the deCONZ add-on.

I was totally overwhelmed with all the things, relationships and acronyms you need to understand to get a HA system up and running. So I documented my installation process in this blog post for all the newbies like me out there:

https://www.amalytix.com/en/home-assistant-with-conbee-ii-deconz-xiaomi-aqara-and-hass-io-from-scratch/

Hope it helps! Any comments / suggestions are highly welcome as I am still a total beginner in this space.

Best
Trutz

22 Likes

Thanks for contributing!

Thank you. I did not know Conbee II exists.

Just stumbled upon this when moving from hassbian to hass.io, great stuff and awesome job.

1 Like

Thanks @trutz
Followed your simple instruction month ago, when moving from SD to SSD over USB.
It was fast move and its working perfect. Other parts are interesting especially about Conbee.

1 Like

Only registered here to say thank you for your blog post! As a complete newbie to this i was just about to give up rpi and HA. On my final google search i found this post, followed your instructions and got the deCONZ working.
I am giving it another go!
:smiley:

1 Like

Hey there!
Thanks for your contribution!
You mentioned the Xiaomi Xiaofang Dafang Camera 1S IP T20L Chip in your post. Is this chip version still flashable with the custom firmware? In your link Dafang Hacks only the Xiaomi XiaoFang T20 is described. This post here does a clear exclusion of the T20L Version.
What is your experience? :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks!

I was put off and delaying doing this as well because all the other help files were confusing but I think it was for people not using hassIO with the new updates things are so much less confusing. after seeing this video from combeee I gave it a go. there is a YouTube also for combee setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SKRksA3Es
I thought my setting up using combeeII was pretty straight forward took me about 30 minutes to set up decoz and 10 sensors. then another couple hours playing with automation for my lights and heating system to use sensors.

i have an issue calling slack service
it’s saying failed to call service, service not found
i copied the notify service in config.yaml and still nothing

any help please

thank you for sharing, I wanted to give HA a try but didn’t dare until I found your blog post. Really easy to follow and with very practical, useful tips along the guide. A must-read for anyone new to HA.

1 Like

Hi !
Thank you for that !
I use HA with the RF433 (RfxCom / RfxTrx) protocol and wanted to go on ZigBee. But I was not sure about compatibility.
Even if you post is a bit old, now I know it’s possible :slight_smile: