Home assistant on Android Auto

Have not heard back from the Dev unfortunately. Was hoping @fberbert might confirm they paid and it worked while moving

1 Like

I am using this: AAAD

where I can download “Fermata Auto”, which has a built in youtube and webbrowser app. The only thing that doesn’t work while you’re driving are any search options, which require the keyboard. You can setup a startup website or a bookmark to HomeAssistant, which works perfectly fine for me.

1 Like

Same here. Just intalled it, opened Custom app 1 but there is a prefixed url which you cannot change. Same for Custom app 2 and 3
Any solution?

I’m glad I did not attached it to my car yet, including my family in it
Custom app 1 was a XXX website :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

What can I do, or is it scam after all.

I guess you installed a different one to the OP maybe? I have not had this issue when i installed it.

Don’t know what you mean by “a different one to the OP?”

I downloaded this one:

đŸ€·đŸ»

Hi,
in this video you can see how it works

Actually i see my custom app 1 has an update available, perhaps this is the change that is locking you guys into hardcoded urls

I just installed Custom App 1 this morning. Open the app on your phone first. It doesn’t look like you can change anything but go ahead and tap on the “URL” text on the app. This opened a prompt that allowed me to change it.

I did get the “some features are not available while vehicle is in motion” display when I connected to my truck. So pretty useless to me as the main reason for having this in my vehicle is garage door control and outside lighting as I’m driving home/away.

The donation page is interesting. It does look like it might unlock features on the app but I’m not going to just blindly donate to a foreign account without confirmation that it’s safe/trusted.

I downloaded AAStore, installed Custom App 1 again (just now):

Here you can see that the URL is already filled in. And no
I don’t want this url showing on my Android Auto screen
 So I tap on the “URL” text to change it, like you are describing here. But, the only thing what is happening here, is that it opens the URL. I don’t see any possibility to change this URL.
Same for Custom App 2 and 3

Here you can see the screen when I tap on “URL”, where I cut the images out of this screenshot as it contains 18+ stuff

Really strange that I can’t replace this url?

It seems once set you can’t change it. I didn’t want to risk my working custom app 1 but just installed custom app 10 and this is what it shows.

And once set I can’t change it. But I could enter anything I wanted originally.

Even reinstalling the custom app didn’t help.

Not sure how the xxx site is getting there in the first place. I trust you guys aren’t doing it haha. Try a different app and ensure you set the url correctly right away

1 Like

So I guess nobody has figured out how to make the functionality work while driving. All I want to do is check a few Home Assistant sensors to make sure doors are closed and maybe lights are off. There are much better apps (Formata) to watch videos for you law breakers - SURE you only want the passengers to be able to watch videos on your 10 inch screen instead of the DVD player they should be using.

1 Like

I guess it’s just useless for everybody then. Waste of decent programming

So far nobody has commented on turning off the warning screen - or rather getting anything to work while driving. I hear the word useless here pretty often, but maybe it works for some people. Not sure how and I guess if it does, they don’t care to help the rest of us out; which is usually what these forums are for.

No i never worked it out, but the functionality i wanted is available via android auto directly now. It’s clunky but at least available.

Are you using Home Assistant on Android Auto? I haven’t tried it yet because the home page I made for my phone comes up so beautifully on the screen in the “custom app”. I really wanted it to work. Seems like the layout of HA in AA will be just as dull as the AA screen and sorted by I already have Google Home/ Assistant routines to turn on booleans that start automations. Just can’t change anything on the buttons (ie Garage will always be G unless I change the name); no icon or color or
 Having to scroll to Booleans and find the 3 or 4 I use in the car is more distracting than just pulling up AA - and I’d bet no prettier

its going to allow whatever Google approves for the app, its a very strict review process and they only allow certain things to happen. Support for smart home apps started in January this year so itll only get better.

1 Like

Oh yeah I agree. I love the actual webview on the custom app. The HA app is trash on android auto as you describe. But it works while moving.

1 Like

I agree. Everybody has to limit their liability when people misuse their product. If HA had come out with this 2 years ago before I had learned how to use Google Home/ Assistant routines via booleans in AA I would have been thrilled. But then I am still disappointed that we don’t have the flying cars they promised me as a child. All in time I guess.
The one thing I need that the routine buttons don’t provide is a screen with a few sensors on it to show status of certain things - did I close the garage door/ gate and set the alarm? Sure I can remember hitting that “button” but did the command go to HA? Sometimes “the assistant” doesn’t tell me if HA and AA aren’t communicating - a few times my internet was down. The other day I had the urge to fumble for my phone to see - it would have been safer to look at my car screen.

I’m going to give Fermata Auto a shot later today - looks good on phone. I don’t need anything but the web browser and I will only have my Home Assistant Cell phone page bookmarked.

After finding and reading this thread I decided to skip straight to Fermata Auto and it works great. First you download and install KingInstaller and follow the instructions depending on your device. Then download Fermata, copy the .apk onto your device and use KingInstaller to install it. If you have steering wheel controls also download the Fermata control app and install that the normal way.