Home assistant on Android Auto

Hi,

I was hoping for a way to control my home assistant instance from Android Auto for many weeks and I finally found a solution.

Your HA instance must be externally accessible with a hostname.

1. Download AAStore and install apk on your Android phone : https://github.com/croccio/Android-Auto-Store

2. Open AAStore, select “Custom app 1” and click “Install”

3. A new application called “Custom app 1” will be available on your phone. Open it and type your Home Assistant URL :

4. Then, connect your phone to your car, open Android Auto, and you should see “Custom app 1”. Open it to connect to your HA :

Now I need to work on my dashboard :wink:
Don’t hesitate to share yours on this thread.

18 Likes

It seems like this does not work with Wireguard. I can access the HA app from my phone with Wireguard active, but cannot load it via the browser/url.

Edit: Never mind. I had restricted the use of Wireguard to the Home Assistant app. I now added CustomApp1 and it seems to contact the server.

Thank you very much for this tip… surprisingly this just works with Nabu Casa! Now I have my dashboard on my Android Auto display!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, do you have an feedback on this, would you recommend it and how have you used it?

This is so good - thanks heaps! Now just need to make a separate user and a car specific dashboard (fuel prices, travel times, garage control at the front).

Edit: does not work on my car while driving/moving. Useless for me unfortunately :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks for the write up. Also interested to see what some HA-AA dashboards look like for inspiration to create my own.

I don’t have a keyboard for my login… I use NabuCasa, but can’t login…

Great app, congrats and thank you! Is there any way to skip the warnings when opening the app on the car screen? Like “don’t use when driving & blah-blah”. I use it to open my garage door when arriving home and it means two more button presses and some extra waiting time. Thanks!`

Anybody get it working with android 12?

It works fine in Android 12.

Did you work this out?

Mine also displays that screen (cannot use while driving) as soon as I am in motion.

Interestingly on my phone if I have it open at the same time the donate page appears at the exact same moment.

Today I’ve tried itb while driving and same warning screen saying that it cannot be used while driving. I suppose it’s the desired behaviour to prevent accidents. If the vehicle stops it works again.

I cannot set the URL in “Custom App 1”.
Preset is Prime Video.
How to change this?
Thx!
Rakete

Been trying it out, seems like it will work, but unfortunately, can’t get past the initial login screen on the head unit (no keyboard) unless I view the page on my phone, log in and “Send to Car” the page afterwards. Even then, the login session isn’t cached, so I have to do that every time.

@Raketenmann the URL is permanent. So go back to AAStore and install another custom app, there are a lot following “Custom app 1”.

Tips to some comments in this thread:

• Unable to log in? Disconnect your phone from the car, open the Custom App on your phone and login in. Connect to the car and voilà!

• Warning about driving? I didn’t solve it, I proceed to the donation and the warning is gone.

But not ask for user and password?

Are you saying you paid a donation and now it doesn’t get blocked when driving?

I emailed the Dev a few weeks ago to ask but no response.

2 Likes

Make sure you select remember me or keep me logged in (whatever it says on the login screen)

Did you find out if donating helps? Have the same questions before investing too much time.
Is donation per custom app or for All 24 Apps?

1 Like