Home Assistant OS 10: Better memory management and new board support

Use terminal:
ha os update --version 9.5

7 Likes

Its easy to say that but these guys worked hard on the release, there were actually 4 release candidates before this and if those issues had come up they would have obviously looked into it before releasing to stableā€¦ Maybe more people should make an effort to participate on those release candidates and raise issues?

Iā€™m just an user but as a rule of thumb I would recommend:

• If your system is critical then you should not be installing mayor releases day 1, instead wait for feedback from other users that are willing to test first and have time to troubleshoot, if many problems are discovered then wait for patch releasesā€¦
  • Plan ahead before doing any mayor upgrade, do not do them if youā€™ll not have time to troubleshoot issues if/when they happen.

Finally, it is easy to roll backā€¦

7 Likes

Many thanks! Back on 9.5 and now BT devices all working again!

1 Like

Bluetooth totally screwed up for me also (Intel NUC with reliable external USB Bluetooth). Thanks SamJWard for the command to revert back to 9.5

I ran this and it appeared to work but it still reports version 10 and I still have Bluetooth not working.

UPDATE: Ran it again it did revert to V9.5 and Bluetooth is back! I recommend waiting until v10. is patched/fixed.

1 Like

Iā€™m experiencing this as wellā€¦ Running HA in a Proxmox VM. After a VM reboot, EMQX seems to run for a bit (I can access its web interface for a short time), but then stops. If I try to restart it, it never starts back again. There is nothing tangible in the log - the last line says EMQX is runningā€¦

I understand, and I also noticed 4 RCā€™s before this hit stable. However, it took all of 3 seconds to find this issue. It also seems the way theyā€™re accessing RAM is causing access denials for protected memory and therefor itā€™s causing corruption as well the longer you run the release.

This should have been caught in any of those RCā€™s, yet it wasnā€™t. That makes me doubt that any dev releases are being tested at all, maybe not enough testers. That doesnā€™t mean they didnā€™t work hard, and I apologize if thatā€™s how it sounds because thatā€™s not my intention.

Since this release has the ability to completely break hardware, not just software it should be pulled / it should have been yet another RC, but again thatā€™s just my opinion. If it was just bluetooth, no worries, but the core problem is much more serious than a bluetooth issue.

/stable should = stable
/dev should = unstable/beta/alpha/ā€œit will break thingsā€

interesting, as with me I see drop on mem use: (though not using BT at this machine)

on another RPI3 instance with bluetooth, also no weird memory usage (though i dont have the history graph on that)

Sorry, i donā€™t use bluetooth anymore

@mostlychris @SubOrbit if you have v0.2.6 running, it should be fine with HAOS 10. What you are seeing then is something else. Can you maybe open an issue along with the log files in the EMQX add-on repository at Issues Ā· hassio-addons/addon-emqx Ā· GitHub?

HAOS uses a special boot flow to fallback to the previously installed OS in case of errors (A/B scheme). This requires our own boot loader U-Boot to be started directly.

Ubuntu does not have such recovery mechanism, and I assume they provide boot scripts which Petitboot starting from the on-board SPI ROM can read directly from the NVMe.

Weā€™ve considered that option, but it would mean a departure from our boot scheme for that particular platform, which we rather prefer not to doā€¦

3 Likes

According to analytics we had more than 1k users participating the RC phase (probably quite a bit more, since those are opt-in stats). Unfortunately, I had zero feedback/issues about Bluetooth issues. So either the problem is not that widespread, or the selection of people is just very very unlucky.

Should have, and I hope we will with you on board next time? :wink:

What ā€œcore problemā€ are you referring to?

The big question is, how do we get from /dev to /stable, when nobody tests? :thinking:

11 Likes

@agners
Stefan,
Is there a way to open a discord beta channel for the OS similar to the core Beta channel? I believe you will receive much better inputs from the users / testers if you do. I tested each of the RC releases and had no issues with any of them. I did have a restart issue with 10.0. Once any issue is found in the discord, a GitHub issue can then be created.

this fixed all my problems :slight_smile: Thanks

I think this build is indeed a little bit unlucky.
I have been on the RC and didnā€™t have any issues. As soon as I updated to the final release my system died because of the mentioned problems.
Yesterday i went back to 9.5 and my HA is back online now.

Did you try updating motionEye to 0.19.0 instead?

What problems are you experience with HAOS 10?

The last 24h quite some problems I see here should be addressed.

The Bluetooth problem is still something I try to get a handle on. So far none of my test installation failed. Exact configuration and hints what might cause issues on your side are welcome (best posted in Bluetooth failing after upgrade to HAOS 10 on Raspberry Pi Ā· Issue #2485 Ā· home-assistant/operating-system Ā· GitHub along with what Bluetooth hardware you are using).

Supervisor monitor completely unavailable, none of the docker containers are working, canā€™t SSH into my machine or anything. Will restart when I get the chance, but everything just hit the fan.

This all happened after updating a docker container (Z-Wave JS UI)

Everything working properly here in my NUC, only BT like other users is dead.

But checking my supervisor logs I can see the following:

23-04-20 21:22:58 WARNING (SyncWorker_7) [supervisor.store.data] Canā€™t read /data/addons/core/whisper/config.yaml: Service wyoming not found @ data[ā€˜discoveryā€™][0]. Got ā€˜wyomingā€™

What is this?

Thanks!!

It is already at that version

When I downgraded to OS 9.5 all was working fine.
I noticed that motionEye was not responding every time for about 40-45 minutes. Afterward, it was responding, but the cameras were not working. When I tried to add a cameraā€¦ it went again non-responding for 40-45 minutes. During the non-responding time, the Pi CPU is 100%, and temp increases from 40 to 65-70Ā°C

I am running HA OS on an Pi CM4 with 8Gb ram using the official Raspberry Pi CM4 IO board with an NVMe boot drive. When I updated to 10.0 my system would not boot properly. I could not get to the web interface at all and I could only ping the system briefly when it first booted then it went offline completely. I tried a fresh image of 10.0 and the system would not boot at all. Then did a fresh image of 9.5 and all is working fine again.

Something is definable wrong with this build.

1 Like