Home Assistant OS 6: Release Candidate 1/2/3 (testing welcome!)

Already on the rc, not seeing any specific problems

1 Like

I had some CPU heating problems, HAOS 6.0 seemed to solve this.

I went through all 6.0 rc versions and everything works as expected.
Rpi4 8Gb boot SSD

1 Like

hi, may i know which Coral TPU u use? M.2 Accelerator B+M key?

I also installed the generic x86_64 image on 4Gb, 128G SSD, Celeron N3450 mini-pc and everything working without any error so far. I couldnā€™t flush the SSD with any image, other than RC1 but upgraded to R3 after that.

so I have 3 HA instances (OS) loaded with rc3. what to test :wink: running smoothly all over I think?

hey! forgot to ask you on Discord: are you using a powered hub for your SSD at all?
I am now, so wait and see what happens. Somehow I get a feeling my system has become less responsive, but thereā€™s no real way to tell is there?

Does the OS (or supervisor for that matter) have some tools to check data transfer?

No powered HUB but power supply with 4A.

By themselves no they donā€™t. I guess you can get to the OS shell and run hdparm

O that sounds good! Which is that ? Do you have a link for me please?

EDIT

mentioned you here

I hope you understand that a 4 A P/S is not the same as a powered hub. You could have a 50A power supply. The PI limits the amount of current that can be used by each of the USB ports and the total power. The powered hub powers the USB device and gets around the PI limit.

Before you upgrade your supply you should see that your PI is not able to supply the rated current to your USB device due to a limitation of your existing supply. I believe your powered hub is a better solution.

what exactly are you saying here? how do I do that? Thereā€™s no sensor in HA to indicate that, the power status integration is pointless, so what other tools have we got to see if it does actually?

yes, but it prevents to ha host reboot, even with a cut red wire in the usb cable between the Pi and the Hub, so it no longer can back-power

Not sure what you are talking about here. I have a powered hub and have no reboot issue.
Bill

back-power preventing the Pi reboot is rather a well documented issue in the Pi community, as I found out after installing the powered hub unfortunately.
thereā€™s also this on the page you linked:

Backpowering

Backpowering occurs when USB hubs do not provide a diode to stop the hub from powering against the host computer. Other hubs will provide as much power as you want out each port. Please also be aware that some hubs will backfeed the Raspberry Pi. This means that the hubs will power the Raspberry Pi through its USB cable input cable, without the need for a separate micro-USB power cable, and bypass the voltage protection. If you are using a hub that backfeeds to the Raspberry Pi and the hub experiences a power surge, your Raspberry Pi could potentially be damaged.

but, apparently not all hubs are created equal, and some donā€™t back-power. Maybe yours doesnā€™t. Please could you provide the details of your Hub? I can have a look in my region to find it then.

getting back to the original problem though, since I was in alleged need for a powered hub because I use a usb SSD, rated at 0.7 A. If the official Maximum total USB peripheral current draw is 1.2A on the Pi4, how come I would need a hub at all?

The hub I purchased was: RSHTECH USB 3 Hub with 4 USB 3.0 Data Ports + 1 USB Fast Charging Port, USB Splitter with 24W(12V/2A) Power Adapter and Individual On/Off Switches(A35-Black). $ 21 US. You should not need a powered hub unless you are using other USB peripherals as the spec is 1.2 A total. I have been chasing an issue since HA OS 5.4 (Nov. 2020) and many people suggested a power issue (which I did not believe) Cheap enough to test and hopefully they were right. I tried a new power supply (3.5A) the powered hub and also monitored the USB power. My inline tester never saw above .65 A (I know it is not fast enough to see a spike). The hub made no difference for me on any upgrades of the HA OS after 5.4, including the 6x release candidates. All lock up after several hours. I switch about a month ago to Debian and HA as supervisor with the same hardware and I have never had a lockup.

What issue were you having that caused you to go to the hub?

thanks, Iā€™ll check that out. meanwhile I found that people reported the https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RXKBX74/ to be not blocking the host reboot.

tbh, I am somewhat confused by all this. But, reading the official raspberry.org documentation, I think it is like this: for the main power to the PI, use the advised 3.1 adapter (no less). More wonā€™t harm, but wont help either, because the USB ports are maxed to 1.2 Amps, and going way beyond that is pointless, because regulated by the RPi.

If must be (when using power hungry USB devices) use a powered USB Hub. In which case one needs to be careful and prevent back-power. Which not only is circumventing the Rpiā€™s fuse, so may harm the Pi itself. But also may (often does) power the Pi from its USB port and thus prevent it from being powered down, and this wont rebootā€¦

well, I had a few unexpected bricks/lockups of the Rpi4, no more response from HA, no ssh, no nothing. Since I only recently switched to the Partition install, using a USB SSD (rated 0.7 A) people suggested I used a powered HUB, because it was asking for trouble without.
Second thought made me wonder if it was not caused by updating to 2021.6 (and the betas before that), because thats when it started to happen. I think.

Simple math would have it that the 0.7A SSD should not be able to max out the Pi?
So, maybe we experienced the same here, and still dont know what, or what causes it?

Many people have opened issues on GitHub with all the log info, etc since Nov 2020 and there is no known cause. Blames are power, USB, USB controller, SSD, and other items. Not sure if anyone has a clue as most people can get stable with either HA OS 5.4 and below or Debian and HA Supervisor with the identical hardware and HA configurations.
A good one to look at is

https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/issues/1119

There is a spreadsheet showing the different configurations and what works.

i see a new release 6.0 , is this a stable release?

i dont see it here yet ?
https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json

thanks for the links, reading all of them (also the linked ones in the articlesā€¦) now. Couldnā€™t find the spreadsheet though?

btw, because of those links, I stumbled on the zwave Aeotec issue (wont work on a pi4, does work on a pi3). Since I have that stick attached to1 of my 3 piā€™s, and it does work without issues, I wanted to check the Pi in Supervisor. Only to find out that isnt listed anywhere?? Call me silly, but where can we find the Pi in the supervisor/hardware tab at all??

would be cool if we had a summary of the Hostā€™s hardware in a small pane here, thereā€™s room for that

and yes, I know I can click the 3 dots on the host panel for the hardware, but that has become such a huge list, it has lost its function. try to find the correct USB port there ā€¦ or anything really

The spreadsheet is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iHTVvaNlTUqwFUgsUhUNws2Sw115INIx5ChEgTnIfoc/edit#gid=0

It is not on the first message so sometimes it is missed due to the quantity of messages.

Iā€™m not sure where to find the hardware info. It must be somewhere as they can now track it in the statistics.

1 Like