Home Assistant OS for Orange Pi 5

I am looking for information and how to install the Home Assistant OS onto an Orange Pi 5. Any help is appreciated. Ed

This has been discussed at length. Search is your friend.

Short answer - unless you’re linux-friendly and/or married to that hardware, it will be easier to return it and get something you can run HAOS on.

SSD (sata and NVME) can be used with SBCs. They have same endurance in SBC as in laptop, SBC just takes much less space and consumes less energy. It will be more durable too. Just skip those damn mini-PCs.

There’s not one single thing wrong with using mini pcs.

They just consume more power and need more space. It’s not wrong, but unnecessary complicated setup for real needs. Engineers love elegancy of design.

I thought the same. Then I researched the cost and power use of an RPI5, plus hat for ssd, and a NUC. The NUC is more energy efficient than I thought, and the RPI, when adding a hat, case, and SSD came so close in price and energy consumption. The NUC also tested a little faster, so I went with the NUC.

As for elegance, my previous RPI, usb hub and SSD drive bundle looked way more ugly than my NUC. Even a RPI5 with a hat in a case will probably not leek as sleek. The NUC is a little bit taller, but not that much. As for ease of use, I use both with HAOS, so NUC is not more complicated. Tbh, setting up my previous RPI was harder. But that may have changed as booting from SSD is more common now.

1 Like

Using my HA on CM4. Have used it for two years, options back then were somewhat narrow and CM4 was PITA to find.

RPi (even version 5) is unfortunately nowadays lacking in performance to other nice power efficient ARM-designs like Orange Pi5. Those RockRidge and AMLogic based designs would need real support. That would be big step forward!

Well, you’re wrong, but ok.

We are looking for an alternative for Raspberry Pi s due to negative experiences during Corona. Odroid SBCs would be an option for Home Assistant. Home Assistant is also interersting to test some physiological sensors such as smartwatches for our application. Orange SBCs would be our preferred choice. No problem with availablilty also during Corona and good support in the armbian forum.