Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

Hi @reekid!
No need to yell… :smiley:

Couple of questions:
What version of DSM are you running your Synology on? 6.x?
Does your Synology support Docker?

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to respond :smile: It does support docker, and i believe I am on version 5.2

Try going to version 6.2.x There is a big difference between 5.x and 6.x systems.

Oh alright! Will do

1 Like

All
Please note anyone running this DO NOT UPDATE your DECONZ to 6.1.1…stay where you are.
there is a thread going about the team not supporting this implementation anymore (supervisor on synology) and I am left to run 5.3.6 on my docker image using @fredrike package…

Be warned :slight_smile:

Interesting, can you share the link to the thread?

Can you please provide link to this?
I don’t think they can stop supporting supervised version on Synology without stopping support for any other supervised version.

The thread is here…

and I have links to the github submission that many of us synology users submitted… appears our beloved synologys kernal version (3.14) is too old now and we need to get to the newer .17 or 19 versions…

Here is the thread I am talking about

and I have links to the github submission that many of us synology users submitted… appears our beloved synologys kernal version (3.14) is too old now and we need to get to the newer .17 or 19 versions…

Then, it’s good I’m using cc2531 to run Zigbee network :slight_smile: No issues with newer versions of Zigbee2MQTT…

1 Like

I’m not super well-versed in Linux but is this something that only affects older Synology hardware? Not sure I’m checking for the right thing but I’m on a Synology DS218+ I bought last year, running DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2 which is the latest, and when I SSH into it and run uname -r or uname -a it tells me the current kernel version is 4.4.59+

Am I checking for the right thing? And does this mean my hardware is unaffected (for now)?

I’ve been running Deconz 6.1.1 for a few days with no issues by the way.

My uname -a returns
Linux DS-MCE 3.10.105 #25426 SMP Wed Jul 8 03:19:33 CST 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_avoton_1517+

Hi everyone, keen to jump in to HASS (totally newbie to home automation).

I’ve already got the community tab on my Package Centre, but “hass.io” isn’t showing up. Even with the beta tick in settings applied. Its not showing up at all.

Am I looking into the wrong spot?

1 Like

Hi @katz !

Welcome to the community :smiley:
Ok, first thing is - what version of DSM are you running? You should be on 6.2 - try to get it as high as you can to the latest available version.
Second question is in regard to Docker - do you have that package installed maybe? Make sure your synology has support for it as it will not work without it.

And - in regard to SynoCommunity package, it can sometimes show as unavailable (not listed), but that normally goes off in few hours and reloads of repositories.

Thanks Beard :slight_smile: yep I’m on the latest DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2 (DS918+).

Yes I have docker installed already and running (v 18.09.0-0513)

Why would it disappear and then show up later? Seems bizarre to me that a package can disappear and then magically reappear?

Is there a manual .pkg file we can download and manual install? (Ive checked https://synocommunity.com/package/hassio# and there is no link to download the ApolloLake pkg file which I need)

Because repository timeouts during syncing with your NAS. There was major update of the systems few weeks back, but it still happens - not really magic, just temporarily unavailable.

Did you check for dropbox links here? There are couple of them if I remember correctly that will allow you to download spk.

Thanks

I may in fact try the VM method. My 918+ NAS is largely under-utilised, only has Plex running on it. Also has upgraded 8GB ram.

Is VM HASSIO far more intuitive and easier to complete HASS.io updates when they are released?

I don’t mind the overheads on the CPU and RAM with VM, if it’s more user friendly for myself.

Compared to what?
Also, what OS will you run? Official one or Ubuntu?
More or less that should be same. For Synology hass.io you just make one click. Not much simpler than that.
This goes for all hass.io versions, no matter what OS. Updating OS is different matter.

Have there been drop box links shared in this thread? I Might have to do a quick search.

Check this one:

Go with the version from December, that is last “official” installation package.
And no worries it has nothing to do with Home Assistant version, just installation script.