Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

Hello, i am confused. I logged into my NAS yesterday and found 3 Updates for the System, Core, Supervisor and Health Check. Tried to update Health to V3.6, no luck, so i tried to update core, no luck, only supervisor was able to update. so i tried once again Health without success also after a reboot. Decided to try with uninstall and reinstall, that was a bad, very bad idea. unistall works fine, but i am not able to install Health 3.6 again, also after reboot. Message to check supervisor log. So i did a quick search here and found that i am not alone with trouble with Docker on NAS. Also a complete fresh install (deleted all settings, container, files) is ending up in the same situation. System shows me that supervisor is up to date, but not able to update to 118.4. Unsupported System.
Why is there no information, WARNING on the homepage, no updated system requirements on the docker tutorial page: Docker Installation

Update to latest Docker with script maybe a working solution, but its tricky and i don´t like hacks to get a working solution.

My Question: Is hass.io as of version 0.118.x now officially discontinued for Synology NAS ? Where is the information located. There are so many sites still online with tutorials how to install hass.io on NAS, also the community package is still available, i did the last install yesterday in the evening. If the support and working system is no longer possible to install, the community package should be removed as soon as possible.

1 Like

As far as I understand its the other way around. Docker is not updated on Synology side, that’s why we have all the hassle to update it via scripts. After updating Docker to lates with script i am facing problems installing other containers. None of them can find logging drivers which is known problem. So i ended up dropping hass.io for the moment as i have others to run (PiHole, youtube-dl etc.)

Can someone please explain how this app compares to VM on Synology or Hassio on a Raspberry pi 4?

I am running Home assistant now on a VM on my Synology DS918+ with 8GB ram. This NAS is capable of handling it. But CPU usage and the idea that the NAS will never go to idle/sleep because of the VM bothers me.

But I am afraid that one day this app will stop working because of DSM 7.0 or because it will not be updated anymore. What are the changes that this app will stop working one day, and am I maybe better of te completely move my Home Assistant to a Raspberry pi 4?

One big downside of the Raspberry pi 4 and this app, is that you cant make easy snapshots as you can do with VM, and yes you can take snapshots of Home assistant itself, but it is nog the same as snapshots of a complete virtual drive in VM

I really hope someone can pull me over the line of staying with VM, going to this app or to a Raspberry pi 4. this bothers me for a couple of weeks now and cant get used to it that my NAS is working day and night!

VM uses a lot of resources while the Docker container doesn’t need as much. I have DS420+ with 2GB ram, ordered some more ram because I can’t even start VM on mine, LOL.
As I mentioned above, I ditched HA for the moment, or I should install the previous version which supports docker 18.09…

After updating docker using this method -> https://github.com/markdumay/synology-docker Ha supervisor stared working and it is now healthy:

You can do a backup of the SD Card on the Raspberry prior the update with DD or Win32Disk Imager. Offline, but the solution works fine. Online Snapshots can also be done with ssh or a cronjob. Be sure to use an extrernal path for the backup files. More information here: RaspberryBackup on GitHub
This should work fine.

The repository ‘Synology-Docker’ is not supported by Synology and can potentially lead to malfunctioning of your NAS. Use this script at your own risk. Please keep a backup of your files.

Big warning on GitHub. I need my NAS stable and don´t want to do such tricky things.

No, right question is - will Synology every be supported as official platform. Who knows, I don’t think so.
Synology was never supported officially and hass.io package was never supported.
The only supported platforms or options tu run HA Core or HA Supervised are ones listed on Home Assistant site Installation - Home Assistant and Installation - Home Assistant

Everything else is not-supported. If you only have one thing missing, system is not supported, if you find a way to make it work out of TV, not supported.

This (SynoCommunity package) was done by enthusiast (fredrike) who spent a lot of time to hack and create working environment, and allow other users to use Add-On’s that Supervised version provides instead of installing containers and managing them by hand.

Upgrading to Docker 19 via script will make your system compliant to specification for HA. But that’s a “hack” - and your system will no longer be compliant to Synology standards. Some future patch, or upadate could break it or make it unusable (probably will not).

Future? DSM 7.0 is near… If you want to go that route, you can check this thread… DSM 7 support framework design · Issue #4215 · SynoCommunity/spksrc · GitHub
In theory, it should have Docker 19 running, but this package will not work at 7.0

This is my system… Didn’t edit json, didn’t upgrade Docker, yes it’s says “not supported” but it’s working - until it work, I really don’t care if I see this or other know warnings:

Thanks for your reply @BeardedConti and well said.

I’m curious about your setup. Because I’m having the exact same screen as you are having. But I’m not able to install new add-ons through the GUI due too those unhealthy and unsupported error messages.

How do you install new add-ons with these blockers?

But could you make a snapshot or update addons after upgrading the supervisor? probably not, until your system is unhealthy

So far I didn’t have problem like that as I didn’t have to install any new addons. This system is about year old and most of the things I needed, I have running. But for that I’ll probably edit json file, when time comes and set ignore flag.

Video I made on hass.io on Synology has been seen over 20.000 times (views) so I think that there is a market for this, but I know that HA teams simply doesn’t have enough time and people to work on any kind of official Synology package.

Thank you very much. No i am up to date and know what to do or not to do. Maybe Frederike will update the package on syno Community to integrate the fix in the json file to get installation back.

Still missing the information on Docker Installaton page minimum system requierments. I am a noob with HA and many informations are distributed across the site, community and web. Makes it not very easy to find.
if someone decides as of today to install hass.io with synology will run immediately into this problem. Thats not a good start and frustrating.

I updated VSCode yesterday to latest version on this system…
And my snapshots are up to date, with last made today.

On my other (recording/test) system, I’ve created jobs.json in /volume1/docker/hass.io folder, added {"ignore_conditions": ["healthy"]} and was able to upgrade add-ons, with supervisor version 2020.12.2

1 Like

I agreee, but if anyone would do search for “Docker version 18.09.8 is not supported by Supervisor!” after they see it - result would be that she/he would find that this is know error and system will work even with it.

For ex. one of the answers Hass.io on Synology DSM (native package)

But the problem is that people don’t search…

And we can always try and ask @fredrike to see if he has time to try and make this fix and automatically include jobs.json in root folder of hass.io with this fix.
But again, if someone else has knowledge and time, - this package has public repository and anyone can try and make contribution - https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc/tree/master/spk/hassio/src
(Sorry for SPAM fredrike!) :smiley:

1 Like

May I ask as a beginner HA user how I can manually add add-ons in Home Assistant?

What I’ve tried so far… I’ve opened the file hass.io/addons.json.
Inside that object {} I see 2 objects called user and system. Do I need to add something over there or am I completely wrong?

Why do you want to add them manually? The whole purpose of Supervised version is to have easier way of adding them? And avoid configuring everything both in addon and in HA for it to work.

Care to share a step by step approach? how did you do it? Is your synology docker app still working?

In my and yours perfect world we don’t want to add the add-ons manually ofcourse. But I’m facing the issue just like others if I’m correct that due to errors which are related to the Synology Docker (Host system) version 18 we’re kind of stuck.

You are running an unsupported installation. Learn more
Your installtion is running in an unhealthy state. Learn more

With these errors in place I’m not able to install new add-ons.

I couldn’t find any solution for this to fix and you refered in your first reply on me with the following:

“But for that I’ll probably edit json file, when time comes and set ignore flag.”

I was hoping you could explain how to realize that with a step by step explaination? Or explain what you meant by that…

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

I asked Synology support about plans for updating synology docker package.

Regarding your question, there is no plan to update the Docker package to 19.03 yet after checking with the developers.

However, I have filed a feature request to developers and product management teams for you. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Have great suggestions for us? Let us know through this form.

Feature Inquiry | Synology Inc.

Maybe it’s a waste of time but if a lot of folks fill that form and ask for docker update, we might get it in some time in future.

Hmm - you probably missed it - it was mentioned here few times. But that’s not manual installation.
That’s workaround for issue.

1. add jobs.json to hassio root folder (for ex. /volume1/docker/hass.io - you can use File Station to create it.
  2. inside jobs.json add one line of code:
    {"ignore_conditions": ["healthy"]}
  3. restart Supervisor from inside Supervisor

This should allow you to install addons and upgrade them.
Errors will still show.
EDIT: Just to confirm this works with Supervisor 2020.12.2 and 2020.12.6 latest version as of December 5th). Tested on 2 systems from 0.118.2 to 0.118.4 and then to 0.118.5

6 Likes