Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

Same here @fredrike hope you don’t mind us tagging you but just wanted to say thanks for all the work you’ve put into this. This was by far the easiest way for me to get started with HA. This is the package that made me a proud HA user in the first place and I hope you know your work is very much appreciated.

That said, it’s now time to move on. I’ve ordered myself a NUC as I want to be able to spin up other things on the same machine and will just let my NAS be a NAS :smiley: .

2 Likes

@fredrike, thank you very much for all your hard work in creating and maintaining this awesome package. It really was “best of both worlds”. Easy add-on management, super fast and very light on resources. A pity it ends this way.

I still think HA developers should have embraced this package and the great developer that made it. The remaining options all feel like a giant step back.

3 Likes

@fredrike As you know I jumped ship a couple of months ago. Tried Proxmox, but in the end, ended up with “unraid” . This is a hypervisor solution that is immense user friendly, running containers and vm’s, and can serve as a Nas/media server. I created a VM with HasOS, and it has been running as a breeze since. Unraid is a paid solution, but has son many benefits. Runs also on lightweight systems like NUC, and is really great. Have a look into it, would be my advise.

Thanks for your hard work again.

Not all is lost! if all of us ask for a new docker update we might be able to get it :slight_smile: ?
https://www.synology.com/en-global/form/inquiry/feature
Fill it out !

This is not the end guys we can enjoy the work of @fredrike if we get a new docker version :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is another option too, https://github.com/bsdcpp/synoKVM.

I’m running the qemu-VM version of HA on my non VM supporting NAS (DS716+II), there are some issues (I don’t have networking up yet) but if I get this working I will for sure share how this can replace all our headache.

5 Likes

It is not only a Docker update. Some of the Synology have a very old Kernel which is more as only EOL. If you using technology like docker which run the Host kernel, you are not moved forward.

Also, soon some of the Add-ons using the NetworkManager and stop working without having that on the Host.

It is what it is and frenck have right there. You can maybe ignore the OS type for supported OS, but you need solve the requirements with having: NetworkManager, Systemd, DBUS, AppArmor.

2 Likes

Although it’s a bummer maintaining the package became untenable, I’m glad there are so many installation options for Home Assistant. I’ve opted for the Container installation, spinning up Docker replacements for nearly all my add-ons. Many thanks to @fredrike for this package and @frenck for all of the things.

2 Likes

But this is not the case.
Yesterday I rolled back the supervisor version to the last working version on our systems (2021.01.7), after which I had to restore the work of all add-ons.
After that, I return system to an unhealthy state. And I even checked that the supervisor can no longer install add-ons, which means that the system was really in an unhealthy state.
However, tonight the supervisor independently updated to the latest version (2021.02.9). So we must assume that there will be problems with addons soon again.

For all who are interested in keeping their system in a hibernating state:
First i will thanks for the first instructions @rdekruyf on how to keep our systems running without the need to immediate migrate to other solutions.

I did several tests, I have the following result

• latest version of the supervisor that still works is 2021.01.8
  • I am currently using Core version 2021.2.3
  • except for lines (which need to be commented out or deleted) in the file
    /usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/misc/tasks.py
RUN_UPDATE _SUPERVISOR = 29100

self.sys.scheduler.register .....etc...... supervisor

the following lines also need to be commented on

async def _update_supervisor(self):
  """Check and run update of Supervisor Supervisor."""
   if not self.sys_supervisor.need_update:
      return

_LOGGER.info(
     "Found new Supervisor version %s, updating",
       self.sys_supervisor.latest_version,
        )
     await self.sys_supervisor.update()

then the automatic nightly supervisor update should no longer take place

If you are interested in newer versions of addon packages, this is always case by case:
I use the following procedure:

• update the supervisor to the current version
  • updating addon package
  • make a snapshot
  • update the supervisor to version 2021.01.7 (2021.01.8)
  • do a snapshot recovery
  • if running a new version of the addon package, under the old supervisor it’s OK, if it doesn’t work I implement an older snapshot for addons
  • finally, don’t forget to edit the file (/usr/src/supervisor/supervisor/misc/tasks.py) again and comment out or delete the lines
3 Likes

We all knew it was coming; however, I had hoped we could spin it out a little bit longer :frowning:

Looks like my planned move to a NUC needs to be accelerated. @fredrike Thank you for creating the package, without it I would not have started my HA journey. And thank you for all your help over the years. Same goes to everyone else in this thread!

Hold you horses, I’ve got a QEMU (Virtual Manager) instance of Home Assistant Supervised to run on my DS716+II (officially not supporting VM) and restore my snapshot from the spk-version.

There are still some tests to be made but it surely looks promising.

6 Likes

Did you find a way, to access the addons folder?

Quick!! A tuto :slight_smile:

What is the minimal config of supervisor and of HA core which work with docker v.18.09 ?

You can’t run Supervisor in Docker.

Great ! :ok_hand: I’ll try now
Hassio_Supervisor is in a Docker, no?

Did you really not read anything of what was said above?
lol

Here is a quick guide on running HomeAssistantOS on Synology VMM (perhaps we can add this to the official documentation as this is an supportedTM installation method).

2 Likes

Hi ! Do you think i can run VMM on my ds713+ ? I try with the spk file but i have an error to install.

Thank you so much.
I don’t know which way I will follow with my HA, but right now, all that I know is that I’m so thankful. Thanks to you and your amazing work, I discovered HA. :pray: :+1:

1 Like

Hi, also from me and a couple of others not logged in the community - great work, fun and a very good way to get understanding and get going with home assistant. I agree with all that see it as a pity, but also want to highlight that everyone that built Home assistant are sharing the same goal.

If it would happen that you or someone else get an epiphany on how to make the installation work somehow I am all ears and would love to support with coffee/beer/patron.

I am (with several probably with me) on high end NAS but that is on the border that do not support VM.

and as for not feeling the love… you have it in the Swedish corner! :laughing:

2 Likes