Home Assistant Unreachable

Hello,

I have a problem similar as this post.
Suddenly I cannot connect to Home Assistant by connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8123 nor homeassistant.local:8123 and SSH is also down.
I can ping the virtual machine IP.
But when I ping homeassistant.local the result is name or service not known.

I installed Home Assistant OS in a Qemu virtual machine on Debian Buster using a home server last sunday.
virsh list shows the virtual machine as “running”.
Last night I had the same behavior then tHome Assistant has been suddenly reachable again.
I tried to reboot the virtual machine with no result, only waiting some hours solved this unreachable state.

What could cause this issue and where should I investigate?

1 Like

Ping is useful to a degree.

Is it definitely the VM / HA instance? If ssh is going down too, then it is unlikely to be the HA instance and possible something upstream.

• Can the router tools be used to interrogate the VM’ IP - not sure what router you have. Some routers have network tools management facilites/terminals/apps/windows.

• What do the VM manager logs say?

• What do sshd logs say on the VM?

• What does a curl of the VM IP port 8123 return?

• F12 in Chrome and view the network tracing would be useful.What’s happening?

much more possible but you need to diagnose top-down in IMHO.

1 Like

Can you reach the vm console?
From there you should also be able to do some troubleshooting.

use —help for some HA commands
( basically works the same as ssh )

1 Like

Can you check the IP address of the VM?

1 Like

Hi all,

Strangely, it looks like this issue disappeared.
Maybe the ha supervisor repair solved something, I don’t know… But two days after I had no issue to access to HA.

But to answer some questions:

I have a Freebox, the interface can show all actual connected devices and the HA VM was displayed.

What do you mean?
When connecting to SSH I had a timeout, I use directly the IP address of the VM.

I had also a timeout.

I have never succeeded in accessing the VM console even when this worked, a virsh consol --domain vm-name shows nothing.
And if I must use the graphical console it won’t be possible for me without head ache for screen reader inaccessibility reason :slight_smile:

I done it and I assigned a static IP to be sure.
To check the IP i used my router interface to see all connected devices.

Thanks everybody for your answers, I’ll continue to check if all continues to be OK and investigate about that following all your suggestions if it happens again.