Home Assistant Yellow

Great, except there is only one site that has any stock of anything, and that is a pi3.

Not your fault of course (unless you cornered the market). I wish I had bought 1000 Google Coral USB sticks 3 years ago.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I’ve tried https://rpilocator.com/ a few times… but whenever I click on a link the seller site states no stock? So I guess it left me wondering how does rpilocator determine if something is in stock or not?

I ordered a CM4108032 via Element14 in April and the earliest availability they have is November

The issue is that these sites seem to only receive a few units at a time, and thus they sell out within minutes. If you’re a Twitter user, follow @rpilocator and enable notifications for this user’s posts. This way you’ll stand the best chance of being notified immediately when a site has inventory available. I was able to snag my CM4104032 a few weeks back using this technique.

For anyone else looking at this this is the CM4 module that’s been sold with HA Yellow:

The CM4 is a version without wireless and has 2 GB RAM and 16 GB eMMC storage

Any version with 2GB or more is going to work. You can either have eMMC or use an external SSD. But as far as I’m aware you can’t use both. Lastly you can decide whether you want WiFi or not.

Imagining a world where everything is in stock you could save money by selecting a Pi without WiFi if you don’t need it and without eMMC if your using an external SSD. But in the current climate its going to be buy what you can as long as it has 2GB memory or more

Personally I purchased a CM4 back in February with 4GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, WiFi and I’m using an external SSD. If I could have saved £5 by not having the onboard eMMC I would have.

TLDR: Any CM4 with 2GB of memory or more will work. You need eMMC or an external SSD. WiFi is optional and depends on personal preference as Yellow includes an RJ45 port.

Actually, one can use the eMMC to host the HAOS, but still use the NVME drive for storage (i.e. the data that changes all of the time, and causes a typical microSD card in a PI to fail.)

Remember though, the CM4 Wireless includes WiFi and Bluetooth. So if Bluetooth is important to someone, they’ll probably want a CM4 with the wireless feature.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, that’s what I really enjoy about this forum. Ended up back ordering the following…

CM4104032 RPI MODULE 4, 4GB RAM, 32GB EMMC, WIFI
CM4108000 RPI COMPUTE MODULE 4 LITE, 8GB RAM, WIFI

Hopefully they dont take too long to come in.

1 Like

Element14 are saying 52 weeks from when you order a CM4, it was November.

Anyone receive their ship notification from Crowdsupply, now that we are closing in on 7/31? I’m desperately wanting to migrate my Zigbee network and rid myself of Smartthings. I’ve got 2x PoE Yellows on order and fingers-crossed the ship date on those doesn’t slip further past 8/31. Hopefully, we’ll get an update from the product team soon.

2 Likes

I would not expect to till after the 31st

No WiFi? That’s what stops me… :sob:

WiFi is part of the Raspberry PI Compute Module 4, if you want it.

2 Likes

And you don’t, really you don’t.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I think it’s fair to say a lot of people do. For example I use Google WiFi that only has a singe ethernet port. They expect you to only need it if you know what a switch is. The default CM4 with Yellow does not have WiFi/Bluetooth which I think is a mistake. People just expect computers and IoT devices to come with WiFi. Missing Bluetooth is also a downer especially with 2020.8 having “Bluetooth as a first class citizen”.

Friends don’t let friends run home assistant on wifi.

13 Likes

Lots of CM4 models available right now in Europe… https://rpilocator.com/

2 Likes

I got mine from BerryBase. I’m in the UK but picked it up on a trip to NL.

1 Like

UPDATE: And they are sold out, again…

The CM4108032 is in stock at Pishop.us

Was excited that mine was meant to be shipping on the 12th. But it moved 7 days to the 19th. Hopefully it won’t keep moving 7 days every week. 🫣

2 Likes

I ordered the POE version, so I am hoping to see it by the end of this year. :wink:

2 Likes