Home Depot EcoSmart Smart Bulb (zigbee) with Remote

Just read this article about the Home Depot Zigbee light with remote https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2019/12/18/home-depot-now-sells-an-inexpensive-zigbee-smart-bulb-and-remote/.

Not worried about the light working, but wondering if anyone has gotten the remote working with HA? That would be great way to add a cheap remote to not only control zigbee but other items too.

And right now (At least at my HD’s) the darn thing is only $5 with remote! I’m going to pick up a few just for the light! https://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-60-Watt-Equivalent-A19-SMART-LED-Light-Bulb-Tunable-White-Starter-Kit-1-Bulb-A9A19A60WESDZR1/310288335

2 Likes

Looking at the manual it says you can pair the light to another hub so it should be good to go to pair with your HA zigbee stick but I don’t see anything about the ability to pair the remote to a hub. It would definitely be interesting if that was possible.

I hate smart bulbs but I might pick up a few as standby’s for the few smart bulbs I do have just because they are so darn cheap.

Same here, not a big fan of smart bulbs, but you can’t beat it for $5!! I see they are working on the remote in the Smartthings forum too.

If I can’t pair the remote, no big deal, I have several Minimote’s I use anyways, even without the remote pretty rare to come across this a Zigbee device for $5. Will allow me to free up a few z-wave and zigbee plug-in switches too.

Thanks. Ordered five using the HD app for pickup later today.

Ordered 9 for 3 rooms. Hope they work with home assistant

Bulbs works great with HA and GoControl HUSBZB-1 usb stick after I did a factory reset of the bulb…paired fine. Can control the brightness and color temp through HA.

As for the remote, not much luck on getting it to pair.

Although oddly one of my Cree zigbee light bulbs decided to pair with the remote while I was messing around with the remote even though the Cree was already paired with HA. It unpaired from HA and paired to the remote, LOL.

Actually I was able to get the remote to pair with HA after resetting the remote, but not sure if it can be used yet

They are really nice remotes, much nicer then the minimotes I’ve been using. Hopefully there is a way to get them to work with HA.

Thanks, I’ll keep my eyes open for this next time I’m in HD!

I was just over that way today. It’s near a mall. No way am I going back THERE for the next couple of days!!

Anyone gotten this working with DeconZ?

[dmulcahey] made a device handler for it. I am new so not sure how long until it get intergrated to HA. Hoping soon i bought 20 of these.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by device handler…do you mean to be able to use the remote with HA?

A tip: I did have trouble factory resetting one of the lights, but also found the light is paired with the remote that comes with it, so I was able to unpair it via the remote and then pair it with HA.

And I mention in a prior post I wasn’t a fan of smart lights, but changing my tune there, nice to get rid of the wall warts I was using and could hide behind something.

I am attempting to do rests but have no luck.
Would you mind posting exactly what you did to do a reset.

BTW I found it funny that the display where I got them had the price of the bulb and switch for $4.88, while the display right next to it had a double pack of the same bulb for $17.99.

Thanks
carltonb

I just bought one of these, to pair them, you need to reset them both. The bulb is on/off 6 times in 5 seconds. To reset the remote, use the included key and insert next to the battery compartment for 3 seconds. They work great and at $4.88 each they are a great deal.

Easiest is to just unpair the bulb from the remote, each bulb is paired with the remote it comes with right out of the box. Just follow the instructions to unpair from remote. Once unpaired, turn the bulb off, start paring process in HA, then turn the bulb on.

I had some trouble with the on/off 6 times in 5 seconds, although I think it will work if you do this 6 times in 10 seconds…YMMV.

It’s SmartThings and Hubitat thing.
It’s so you don’t have to wait for Deconz or Home Assistant to support devices to get them working. I say that with much ignorance as I found zigbee and especially z-wave infuriating on HA, so both could support something similar and I just don’t know. SmartThings and Hubitat made it much easier than I know openZW handles it.

Just a follow up to these bulbs.

• They work great with HA after unpairing with the remote. I didn’t realize they were already paired with the remote in the box right from the start, so you must un-pair the light first from the remote then pair with HA. It’s easiest to do the unpairing via the remote rather they factory reset, I had 1 bulb that wouldn’t factory reset.

• Tunable color temperature works great and can be controlled from HA and/or automatons.

• You can pair the remote to the bulbs after your pair to HA, but the remote won’t always know the state of the bulb if you control the bulb via HA, so I find I have to push the remote buttons sometimes twice to get the command to work. Oh well at this point won’t be using the remote unless someone can figure out how to get it to work with HA.

• I’ve had zero luck getting the remote to do anything via HA other then state battery info, but I’m not a programmer nor super familiar with the Zigbee protocol.

• I’ve read through a bunch of other forums about the remote, the bulb has generated a lot of interest, but most have found the remote isn’t cooperating with working as a generic Zigbee device to control devices through a hub.

• Seems to be a very popular item now at the $4.88 price, my HD had 25 in stock when I first posted are now down only a few, so hopefully the popularity of the bulb/remote will get seen by smart programmers who can figure out how to use the remote with HA!

• The remotes are really nice, good feel, magnetic base that can be attached to a wall to hold them, would be a shame if they can’t be used via HA.

The remotes should work with the next release of Home Assistant. The latest zha quirks release supports the remotes, just need it to be included with Home Assistant. I have several in use now and they work well.

3 Likes

For sake of argument that they don’t get added to the next release and for completeness in this thread what did you do to get the remote working in HA?

I’ve got it paired with my HUSBZB-1 stick and HA sees the battery level OK.

Now what?

The remote pairs and will show battery level. But in order to be useful, it needs to send events. If you are on a venv, you can just pull the latest version of zha-quirks and you will be good.

From there, it’s just a matter of setting up your automations, three of the buttons work well, but the last one sends on varying clusters and isn’t really useful.

See https://github.com/prairiesnpr/Home-AssistantConfig/blob/ad6fa4d63f09dac471aa51929acc5502d842511b/automations.yaml#L957 for an example of using the remote in an automation.

My parents bought a bunch of these also and want to use the remotes, but since they are on hassio, we are waiting for the next release of home assistant. The pr was merged, https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/30228 so it shouldn’t be long.

1 Like

Ah, unfortunately I’m no longer on a venv but use non-hassio Docker.

I guess I’ll just have to be patient. :wink:

I’m sure that information will be useful to others tho.

Thanks!