Home Depot EcoSmart Smart Bulb (zigbee) with Remote

Hi,

How can i pair my remote again? I unpaired and now I don’t know how to pair, tried to hold the first 2 buttons nearby the lamp but didn’t work

did you already pair the bulb to HA?

if you did you can’t pair the remote to the bulb any longer. the bulb can only be paired to one device - either the remote or the zigbee stick.

Actually you can pair the remote to the bulb after the bulb was paired with HA. Not sure if these are the exact steps but:

• Factory reset remote via pin in reset hole
  • Pair to HA (not sure this is necessary)
  • Now follow pairing procedure with bulb, you should be within a few inches of the bulb.

The only problem I noticed is that if HA controls state of the bulb (IE on/off), the remote won’t be aware of light status and so you might have to push the remote button twice to either turn it on or off…I think the remote keeps it’s own status when using the remote but is unaware of HA.

Also HA is slow to notice if the bulb was turned off/on via the remote, probably because it needs to wait for a routine update from zigbee devices.

that’s interesting.

the bulb docs say that it can’t be paired to the remote after it’s paired to another hub. It’s the first bit under the “quick start guide by app”.

Yeah, doc states that probably because it’s not ideal to do so or maybe it does require the remote to be paired with HA first…I haven’t experimented much with that actually but it definitely works…maybe that was written to save headaches from support calls.

My Home Depot is still selling these for $4.88, I’m going to go grab a few more today lights today.

Initially I mention not liking the smarts in the bulb itself, but I’m changing my tune on that…mostly because I can now eliminate the bulky (and eyesore) wall warts that I’ve been using to control lights.

Plus I now will have some extra Zigbee and Zwave controllers I can use else where!

I managed to find a use for one more bulb and having the remote solves the “control by switch” issue that makes me dislike smart bulbs.

getting the remotes to be functional in HA apart from directly controlling the bulbs will be really nice. I’ve been looking for buttons that can be (cheaply) integrated to HA and these are really nice remotes if they work as expected. I’ll have potentially way more uses for a remote that can be used with HA than I will bulbs so I bought five.

1 Like

I just picked up 3 of these. I got the Bulb and Remote paired to HA after unpairing the bulb from the remote and resetting the remote.

Has anyone been able to bind the remote to the bulb (or any bulb) through HA after they are both joined?

Also I noticed if you press the buttons too quickly the remote seems to lock up and stop sending events. I’ve resolved it by pulling the battery to restart it.

Set up automations using zha_events to set the brightness and color_temp based on the events from the remote.

So you are getting zha_event’s when you push the remote buttons? I tried to watch for any events and never saw any so I figured it just wasn’t supported yet.

Do I need to try again?

It’s in the beta of 0.104.

I’m waiting for the official release, but don’t know if the remote would be the same config that I had to use with my z-wave Minimote::

- id: '1568672708403'
  alias: Minimote Automation Button 1
  trigger:
  - event_data:
      entity_id: zwave.aeon_labs_dsa03202_minimote_4
      scene_id: 1
    event_type: zwave.scene_activated
    platform: event
  condition: []
  action:
  - data:
      entity_id: light.the_home_depot_ecosmart_zbt_a19_cct_bulb_595abefe_level_light_color_on_off
    service: switch.toggle
- id: '1568672708404'
  alias: Minimote Automation Button 2
  trigger:
  - event_data:
      entity_id: zwave.aeon_labs_dsa03202_minimote_4
      scene_id: 3
    event_type: zwave.scene_activated
    platform: event
  condition: []
  action:
  - data:
      entity_id: light.cree_connected_a_19_60w_equivalent_ad4601fe_level_on_off
    service: homeassistant.toggle

I’ve been checking the HD web site to see if/when they’re back in stock.

Theyre still out of stock at our local HD, but the price on the web site is back up to over $7. It’s probably still a good deal, but I’m a bit disappointed I missed out on the $5 price.

Ah, that explains it.

Thanks!

Confirmed that the remote is working well on 0.104.0b3 with the ZHA integration BUT the remote does not work with deConz! Which is unfortunate because my Xiaomi PIR sensor doesn’t work with ZHA but works with deConz. And of course, you can’t use both…

I got the remote paired with ZHA, running beta version through docker.

How do I find out what events are triggered on each button press?

Also, can you paste the config for a sample automation created via this remote?

Developer Tools > Events > Listen to “zha_event”

See here for examples of automations using these remotes. https://github.com/prairiesnpr/Home-AssistantConfig/tree/master/automations/remote

1 Like

you can see the events under the Dev Tools Event tab, type zha_event into the box then hit the start listening button. hit the button and you will see the events.

here are my automations on my test system where was testing this. not you’ll need to change the id’s for your actual devices.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/B76hGDqBF8/

1 Like

Thanks a lot ! got it working as well.

Alright Guys, I can’t seem to pair my bulbs to my Z-stick gen5. Can someone help me out or point me in the right direction?

These bulbs use Zigbee protocol to communicate and the Z-stick gen 5 doesn’t support Zigbee, it is Z-wave only stick. To support both protocols you need the GoControl HUSBZB-1

Aghhhhhhhh, that makes so much more sense now.