• Z-Stick Gen5 Aeotec

Home Assistant: 0.83.2

zwave config:

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
  debug: true
  network_key: "${networkKey}"

Error logs:

WARNING (Dummy-2) [openzwave] Z-Wave Notification DriverFailed : {'notificationType': 'DriverFailed', 'homeId': 0, 'nodeId': 255}

I have verified the USB stick is at the correct location, /dev/ttyACM0
The zwave UI is showing in the web interface, trying to add node, or perform action only results in:
WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Unable to find service zwave/add_node_secure

I did notice the users/groups on the USB are: crw-rw---- and root:audio whichs eems odd.

Any ideas or direction is much appreciated.

Edit: Formatting

2 Likes

At least from the log snipit it may be that the driver failed to load or crashed. I don’t know how you have it installed or what logs you may have access to, but if you can. check the system logs for cdc_acm driver references.
To see if the driver is loaded lsmod |grep cdc_acm
grep cdc_acm /var/log/syslog
or dmesg | grep cdc_acm
you could try modprobe cdc_acm to see if the driver loads if it isn’t???

Having the exact same issue, just doing a fresh install and can’t get Z-wave working. Tried loading it through Integrations and via configuration.yaml and it is no good.

(Dummy-2) [openzwave] Z-Wave Notification DriverFailed : {‘notificationType’: ‘DriverFailed’, ‘homeId’: 0, ‘nodeId’: 255}

Ok, so i believe i might be able to help now that i got it working

Click in the Main menu
Hass.io -> System
Then click HARDWARE under Host Name

You should get a listing under Serial that looks something like this

serial:
/dev/ttyAMA0
/dev/ttyACM0

So most likely one of those is your USB Z-wave stick.

For whatever reason the Configuration.yaml and the Z-Wave settings aren’t passing the proper info to the Core Components of Home Assistant.

So go to Hassio\config.storage
There is a file there called “core.config_entries”

Open the file
you should see “usb_path”: “/dev/ttyACM0”

Change the in quotes section to whatever you came up with from the serial devices. Save this. Try one and reboot it Hass.io, if it works, great. If not try the other device.

2 Likes

I can verify this process did work for me as well-

Navigated to /config/.storage/core.config_entries there in was a entries as such:

{
    "connection_class": "local_push",
    "data": {
        "network_key": "${keyVar}",
        "usb_path": "/dev/ttyAMA0"
    },
    "domain": "zwave",
    "entry_id": "{$id}}",
    "source": "user",
    "title": "Z-Wave",
    "version": 1
}
  1. Changing the line "usb_path": "/dev/ttyAMA0" to "usb_path": "/dev/ttyACM0" && save
  2. Restarting HASS
  3. Zwave was then working with no issue.

Hi, my zwave was working fine until I updated to the latest version. I am looking for the “/config/.storage/core.config_entries” file, but I cannot find it. I’m using finder in Mac OS.

Never mind, I found the file through Hass Configurator. The usb_path appears to be correct though.

Never mind 2: The z stick has come up now for no apparent reason.

Thanks!

I can also confirm that manually updating .storage/core.config_entries to /dev/ttyACM0 worked for me. I also updated configuration.yaml for my own sake.

Thanks so much for this, helped me a bunch! <3

Having the same issue, but unfortunately this solution didn’t work for me. The usb_path value was already set to the correct one.

1 Like

Don’t know if this can save some poor other home-assistant noob like me some minutes but simple restart did the trix for me. Guess that will be my first thing I do when I run into troubles with HASSIO

In the case someone is trying to get an Aeotec Z-Wave gen5 USB stick working with a Raspberry Pi 4, there is something wonky with how the Pi 4 and the stick interface (something about power) and the Pi won’t see the stick at all. The workaround is to use a hub. There is a discussion on the Pi forums.