HomeKit error "User input malformed"

Greetings,

Just updated to the latest HA 2021.11.0 and I’ve encountered issues with the HomeKit integration. After the update the integration still runs and responds but now I can no longer make changes to the configuration. Every time I try to select which entities are exposed to HomeKit I get the error message “User input malformed.” I don’t see anything related to Homekit in the logs. Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

7 Likes

Having the same issue

2 Likes

you’re not alone …

Maybe I have a similar issue
I still use it via yaml config. But I’m also not able to add a new entity. But there are no error messages at all

So i was able to temporarily fix it by deleting the config and starting from scratch. Hugh pain in the ass but it worked for a while. I probably spent about 2 hours getting my 60 or so devices back set up in my HomeKit. A couple hours later I went to go add my cameras and door locks back and the error message came back. This build is very flaky, no idea what “bug fixes” were present and why this was pushed through on 2021.11.x, it was working perfectly in 2021.10.x.

I’m having the same issue, even if I make no changes and try to save.

1 Like

I am having the same issue. I upgraded to 2021.11.1 in the hope that it might fix it, but it didn’t.
I have 60 or so entities, and it just doesn’t work now, the integration works, but can’t edit.
I have another instance of homekit that is passing the harmony hub as a single accessory and that saves fine, so its something to do with the drop down list, and the format of that.
and a very newbie question, how do I go back a version? to 2021.10.7 and .6 were working fine.
i would love a click and go back option in the UI, but can’t find it.

1 Like

I also have the same bug…

the issue, is that if a non-existing entity was in the list before, there is no way to update it or delete it. That causes the malformed input. Basically an unknown device. It an’t be edited in the GUI. Huge pain.

Just rolled back to 2021.10.7 with the same config and all is working now. It actually looks like a front end issue as my pop up box is what appears malformed with text been written over the dropdown but in 10.7 it looks clean.

I couldnt actually see a bug in the frontend so i opened an issue:

4 Likes

I’m not sure that’s it. I got the HomeKit integration running again by deleting it and starting all over, had to do that twice before I had a config that worked. At the moment it’s running again and I can add/remove entities, however when I go to add my cameras I get the “User input malformed” error again. If I disable the cameras it allows me to save the config which makes me believe this error isn’t being caused by an unknown/deleted entity.

maybe there is more than one bug in there. If i delete an entity that was previously exposed in homekit via “include” and then go to homekit to make ANY changes, then it gives me the “user input malformed” error. And there is no way to delete it from the homekit “include” list as it won’t show up on the menu. In YAML days you could as you could edit the list in your homekit yaml config. Now that is gone up can’t edit the list if you deleted an entity as it won’t show up on the selection menu. Also there is no way to know which was the entity that you deleted of course. I have 300+ entities…

When you remove and setup the integration again, that “deleted” entity is no longer there and everything should work. Maybe by disabling the entitites, homekit will ignore it, but if the issue was deleted there is no way to know which one was it

Perhaps there are multiple issues and the “user input malformed” is just a catch-all error message. What you are saying has merit, that might explain why it’s working for me with a brand new config but it doesn’t explain why trying to include any camera causes the same error message.

Tried that earlier in my troubleshooting before starting over. I disabled every single entity and it still wouldn’t let me save the config, still got the error message.

then as long as there is a record that the entity existed before, you get the error as i am assuming that entity name is saved somewhere and you just can’t get it out of the homekit bridge list, only option being deleting the integration and recreating a new one with a blank list

Same here, any better option than delete and make it again…?

Did 2021.11.2 fix this for anyone? I’m holding at 10.7 after experiencing this bug in 11.1 (and some Zigpy issues).

I just upgraded & it is still a problem for me for HomeKit and Adaptive Lighting.

Version: core-2021.11.2
Operating System: Home Assistant OS 6.6

Happened to me when I changed a couple of entity ids that were included in HomeKit. Changed them back and was able to save again.

Just tried today it and no. It did not fix it. So I may have to revert to 2020.10 again soon.

When this happened the first time, at the same moment I reached homekit limit of 150 entites (for other reasons: frigate integration had added many entities). Then I separated into three homekit hubs, one for cams, one for sensors, and kept the default one for the rest (switches etc). This made stuff much clearer as there are much less entries now but… I still apparently have something causing issues.

EDIT: Just found out in the github issue link above that this is already fixed (yesterday), but not yet in a release so releas from november 9, 2011 still has the problem.