HomeKit error "User input malformed"

READ the warnings before using this workaround!

Got a Working solution (workaround) for now!. Found in the comments from the closed github issues.

“Switching the configuration from Bridge to Accessory and back fixed the issue.”

WARNING: You will have to select your includes / excludes again. This might be dozens of things to check depending on the size of your installation. Glad I already had separated into 3 HomeKit hubs and this mostly affected switches, so not as many as the first time this happened.

WARNING2: Doing this removed and re-added all my HA entities to HomeKit! In my case, since I had renamed some and used them in scenes and automations in HomeKit, I had to re-do ALL scenes and automations including these.

WARNING3: I renamed some entities (for other reasons), and now I have the error again. So if use this stupid workaround again I will lose all my work on HomeKit again.

So, reverting back to HA version 2011.10 until 2011.11.3 gets released. Hopefully soon.

So you may want to revert and wait for a propert fix to avoid a lot of work…

I learned it’s a good idea to put the final names in HA before having them showing in HomeKit because homekit really likes to lose all your stuff once something changes :cry:

I’ve got to say, creating a Homekit integration for each individual category of entities has really improved my workflow! So much nicer importing each hub into Homekit on a category-by-category basis, too, versus all-or-nothing. Thanks for this tip!

Edit: Another way of doing this that might prove useful to some folks is creating a Homekit integration per room.

1 Like

Same problem here - and because I Moved my Tuya across to the new integration I did have an entity that no longer exists and I named the new one the same… since then I have had this exact issue in HomeKit and Adaptive Lighting.

I gave up waiting for a solution. I moved all my configuration into configuration.yaml. It’s actually much better this way. Only the ones that I want to see will be in my Homekit configuration and if anything happens like the current problem, I won’t be affected.

Interesting! Is this a painstaking process, or is there a way for me to export my current Homekit UI integration into yaml?

Nope. It’s quite simple actually. You just write down excluded domains and included entities to your config. The nice part is you are only doing this once and after that everything is clean. HA has a Homekit page about the process. You might wanna check.

2021.11.3 just got released. Has anyone tried it yet to see if the problems still persist?

Just installed it. Still getting the error.

2 Likes

still seeing the problem with trying to configure my homebridge integration

I had the same issue, if you load up your core config in the .storage folder you will see the “hass bridge” listed followed by the “included entites”
What I did to resolve was go through that list and find the entity that is no longer in the HA config. I then renamed an entity with that name and was able to save the HASS config without issue, then I looked for that entity in the GUI and disabled it. After that I just changed the name of the entity back and all was good, no more errors.

I tried to upload screenshots of how to address but apparently I am limited to the amount of images as a new user.

1 Like

I have added the images to a google photo share which can be accessed here.

2 Likes

If you trace back and figure out what entity ID has changed and left a ghost entity in you HASS Bridge config you should be able to revert or even change one of your other entity id’s temporarily to match so you can reverse the issue.

Would someone who has replication steps please open an issue on GitHub for homeassistant core? Thanks :pray:

1 Like

I had the same issue and had to take the decision to wait for a fix or configure Homekit from scratch via config.yaml. I have around 75% excluded entities and decided to configure the bridge via config.yaml and only include specified entities.

Please bear in mind that Homekit only allows 150 entities per bridge, even if you configure it via the integrations-UI. Sooner or later you will probably have to use multiple bridges.

Another advantage is that I dont have tons of sensors in Homekit that I have to exclude each time if add a new smart device to Homekit.

I can only recommend to think about the pros and cons as this issue is a good reason to question the status quo :wink:

Was it fixed in 11.4? can someone who updated let me know

doesnt look like it :frowning:

no… issue still present in 11.4

I’m running core-2021.11.4 (latest) and still encountering the issue. Holding out for a fix.

I created an issue in GitHub here.