Homekit Infused 5 (HKI) v2023.1.3

Are the changes you made to the light popup cards easily duplicated on the new cover popup? (Removing the popup wrapper/fullscreen elements) Is it just a few lines or would I need more familiarity with Js to figure it out ?

I have just removed the popup-wrapper and the fullscreen config in the JS file. They are maybe 10 lines total? Not sure though, but this is very easily reproduced. Just make sure if you change that file that it is the only file in that folder (if there is a *.gz file in that folder the changes will not work).

Not bad for my first try… lol

Homekit Infused v.1.0 RC Released

Hello all, it is finally here, Homekit Infused 1.0 Release Candidate. For all people that were holding off to install this because of the alpha/beta tags will be happy to know that this is essentially the final 1.0 version.
If any change will come along soon it will only be minor changes. Alpha and Beta users please read the notes at the bottom.

Changes and Fixed:

• MASSIVELY simplified docs for HKI 1.0 Release Candidate (it is now easier to install this than ever! Yay)
  • moved config to packages which makes installing a LOT easier (see documentation)
  • completely rewritten global config
  • global_config is now fully commented out, when commented it will choose defaults (finally it is much easier to configure and edit HKI)
  • fixed some popups that would show on all devices instead of the current device
  • added option to change sorting method of the auto filled views
  • frontpage is now fully configurable through the global_config
  • changed badges to be more flexible, it can now also be used for other states (see screenshots)
  • fixed alignment of icons in the picture-elements on the frontpage
  • fixed some missing icons on some views
  • added all views and a ton of new options to global_config
  • header icons can now be changed
  • as requested, buttons on the devices view can now have custom popups again like in HKI 0.13.x and lower (by replacing the more-info window like legacy popup cards do).
  • fixed thermostat button, it should now show more colors for different states and should now work with both climate entities that use either state or hvac_action! (thanks to all of you for showing me your climate entities to make this possible)
  • added fans to climate view (it uses a new group, beta users see info below)
  • fixed vacuum view, colors and buttons broke in the last beta
  • minor fixes to themes, the default HA theme is now a selectable option! (beta users see info below)
  • split up the menu in categories, it is now easier to use the main menu!
  • themes now use the same style as HACS themes, this makes it possible (theoretically) to use HACS themes as well
  • removed all unused input_selects which are no longer needed
  • the current method of global_config makes it possible to have user submitted views available for you in the future, it is very modular and it is easy to create new views and/or use different views because of the way global_config is written now. If you’d like to submit a view to be added to HKI please read the guidelines in the documentation.
  • minor fixes
  • emtpied Remote Control view (will be released throughout the week as an addon as it only works for Apple TV atm)

Notes for alpha and beta users:
If you are using the alpha I highly recommend you to reinstall instead of updating (though updating is possible by reading my guides)
If you use the beta, I would actually also recommend you to do this, however updating can be done in two ways.

Method 1 (this is the preferred and most future proof method)

Step 1: Remove all related config from the previous HKI install (this means ALL automations, ALL lines related to this in configuration.yaml ALL input_selects, ALL input_booleans etc. etc.) You can leave things like custom-ui if you had that and browser_mod:.
Step 2: Follow the steps from the renewed documentation. It now uses packages which makes it SUPER easy for me to update the project in the future for you without the need for you editing those files. Amazing ey? Well this was exactly what I was aiming for almost a year ago and I think I finally did it.

Method 2

Step 1: Replace the following folders: /global_config/ and /lovelace/ and /themes/. The easiest method would be to simply delete the old files and folders and then copy the new files.
Step 2: you will need to add the all_fans group to your groups file.
Step 3: you have to change configuration.yaml and change the line which has themes in it. Change it to themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes/.
Step 4: the automations related to themes have changed, please copy the new automations over your old ones.

The group files remain unchanged except for the new fan_group. If you have made changes to any of the views, I suggest you to copy the config and paste it back into the new one. ALL views and global config MUST be replaced!!!
Yes I know it has changed once again, but remember you are/were running either an alpha or beta version and that is bound to change often. However I do have some good news this time. The global config is exaclty as I want it to be now and I will NOT change this any time soon!
If you had been holding off to install HKI because of the beta nature then you will be happy to know that this is most likely the same version as the actual 1.0 release, hence the name RC. Only minor changes will be done (if needed).
From now on updates will also be possible with the guides you were already used to if you were using HKI in 2019. The major difference is that firstly I won’t have to write as much of information due to the way that HKI is written now and secondly it is much and much easier to update than ever!

Once again, thanks for all your support and patience. We are going to have great fun this year and the modularity of the current HKI makes for a great start of 2020. Enjoy!!

2 Likes

“tasty busy” :wink:

1 Like

looks this is very “heavy” theme :joy:

1 Like

Heavy as in? But yes, admittedly, running it on a pi would not be my recommendation. Though it should work on one regardless albeit slower.

I meant “time”.

Ha yes, it took me a lot of time to create it, and it took me even more time to template it so that other people can install this with relative ease.

But hey, on the other hand, quite some people have been using HKI since last year and are happy (I think?) and that is all that matters.

3 Likes

absolutely! when I get half day free, I’ll try it out. thanks!

1 Like

Homekit Infused v 1.1

The last few bugs are leaving HKI now and the RC tag is gone, thanks again for testing and see you soon!

Changes:

• Added several options for frontpage buttons/badges, fixed the ‘C’ that was shown on other sensors.
  • Added a lock option to the thermostat buttons (this was a Feature Request)
  • Added a new button template for use on the frontpage (see comments in /global_config/views/frontpage_view.yaml for examples)
  • Edited thermostat button template and autofill climate template for use with locks
  • All frontpage buttons now default to a simple button (if you want the badge please set that in the /global_config/views/frontpage_view.yamlfile)
  • Moved the homekit_infused folder to packages/homekit_infused. Some users had trouble setting up the HKI package with existing packages
  • Removed duplicate keys from the HKI configuration.yaml file
  • Shortened template code in HKI configuration.yaml

How to update?

You can ONLY update to this version if you come from the 1.0RC version (you will NOT be able to update from alpha/beta directly to this version)
Copy/Paste all the files from the update folder to the root of your setup.
Copy your /homekit_infused/hki_groups.yaml file to /packages/homekit_infused/, it will ask you to overwrite the old file, click yes.
In your configuration.yaml file edit the following lines and change it to:

homeassistant:
  packages: !include_dir_named packages/

Delete the old /homekit_infused/ folder from the root of your setup as you no longer need that.

WARNING: the global_config files for both the climate_view and frontpage_view will be overwritten. If you have already configured those files please only copy the changes (use a decent code editor like VScode to compare the changes, usually this will be one or two lines at most!)

That’s it folks, Enjoy!

1 Like

Question:

I am very curious on how much people (still) use this project. If you like this project, I would love to see your screenshots and see how you use this.

Thanks for the support once again!

4 Likes

I actually found this project while investigating the Dwain project and im gonna try implementing it on my Dev setup today. I like the idea that this one has been around for a while so it seems promising.

I tried but went back to the old project as it is way to heavy on a pi

I did make quite some improvements to speed since the alpha version. Also, not using custom-ui (which is handled on the backend) will improve speeds on a pi.

Though 0.13.x should work perfectly fine even with newer HA versions.

Edit: though it is still heavy because of lovelace_gen.

1 Like

Hope to see video guide on clean homeasistant installation
Awesome job!!!

Hi Jim

Unfortunately, I’m still using the alpha version, as I didn’t find the time yet to install v1. Anyway, you asked for some screenshots, and here they are. This is still a huge work in progress, but it covers the basic needs for now.

Home screen:

I added a button in the header (the warning sign) for all devices in state “unknown” or “unavailable”. It works the same way as the other buttons, with popup, badge etc.

Climate

Nothing interesting here, as I don’t have have a thermostat.

Lights

Everything works as expected, and I love how the popups lookk.

Devices

Security

Floorplan

Controllable floorplan with spinning fan animation etc.

Household Tasks

List of tasks around the house with HA notification reminders (still setting this up).

Automations

Some input booleans to manually turn on/off automations.

Network Connections

Showing the status of the network connected devices and their IP.

That’s it for the moment. Hope I’ll get some time soon to update and fine tune everything. Thanks again for all your hard work :+1: This increases the WAF for the whole home automation dramatically here.

2 Likes

@yoni3210 This will come hopefully next week. It will be a guide consisting of 3 tutorials:

• first video will be on how to prepare and install
  • second will be about how to configure and use global config
  • third will be on how to install addons and use them.

I will upload presentation video tonight featuring all the elements of the interface and I will add screenshots to the repo.

However @yoni3210, since the RC version of last monday, I have really simplified the installation process. The documentation is a lot clearer now on how to install this and should be relatively easy.

1 Like

This actually looks pretty amazing. I had one major problem when creating the 1.0 version (1.1 currently). And that was the fact that people like to customize it.

It would have been sooo much easier if I could release this project as a “fixed” interface without the possibility to edit everything. But seeing I had this project released as it was last year I couldn’t simply remove the option to customize it without (probably) angering a lot of fans of HKI.

So now it is finally released everything is customizable and will be without the need of heavy view editing. (Which ofc is still possible). Users that do not require the heavy customizations can now finally enjoy a defaulted setup with minimal user input and long time users (or experienced HA users) can simply do whatever they want without me needing to compromise too much on both sides.

Anyways I like it, hopefully we’ll see some more screenshots of users that use this!

1 Like

I understand why you did the major changes from alpha to beta/1.0 and I knew that I was taking a risk of needing to re-configure when I installed the alpha version :sweat_smile: