Homematic Thermostats and Set Temperature

Hello!

I am just new to Home Assistent and switched my Home Automation from Openhab to Home Assistent. Everything works fine and does so far what my old Installation does. My thermostat run a daily program autonomously (so the mode is on auto), but sometimes I want to change the temperature and then I found an annoying thing (IMHO): When I set a temperature from a thermostat in the UI, the temperature is set, but the mode is switched from “auto” to “manual”. This setting then keeps the thermostat itself from returning to their program at the next programmed time. Is this behavior intended? Is there a setting for this?

Regards
Christoph

I have created a small patch for this, if someone is interested:

How does a thermostat behave when it’s used with a CCU? I only use Homegear, so the logic is done by HASS.

To me it sounds correct if the thermostat switches to manual mode if a temperature has been set manually. That’s what the name implies. Automatically switching away from manual mode would defeat the purpose of the selected mode being manual. At least from my point of view.

However, I also understand why it could make sense in some cases. So instead of patching this I would try to solve this with an automation. If the mode has been manual for time X, set the mode to auto.

I can’t say how the thermostat behaves under a CCU.

The only thing I can state is that changing the mode while changing the temperature breaks the behavior of the device. In my case I am talking about a Homematic HM-CC-RT-DN, so I don’t know how other thermostat behave. Turning the temperature up/down on the device itself while in auto mode does not change the mode to manual.

This mismatch between HA and device led me to the idea to correct it by patch and not solving it via automation.

But maybe I need to overthink this. :slight_smile:

I have a HM-CC-RT-DN myself. But it I have never used it in automatic mode. I’ll try this out and see what happens. Mentioning @pvizeli to make him aware of this issue.

The ‘auto’ mode is only usable for CCU/Homematic device it self. If we change the temperatur with xml rpc, CCU change the mode of device to manual.

The firmware of HM-CC-RT-DN with HM-TC-IT-WM-W-EU have a bug inside. If we change the temperature in auto mode, the CCU change mode on HM-TC-IT-WM-W-EU to manual but not on HM-CC-RT-DN. That will brake the state for controlling with xml rpc interface and we need change that on CCU back to right state befor we can use the device anymore. I report this bug to E3 but they wont fix that.

That is the reason why I add the auto/manual hack to code. But If we remove that, The CCU will change the state of device to manual. Nothing will change, so we not able to use ‘auto’ on xml rpc.

EDIT:
A option could be to use select_mode with set_themperature. That is a new feature but we don’t use it on homematic at the moment.

EDIT2:
I don’t try the last CCU2 firmware, maby the bug is fix there but I don’t see any stuff on changelog. I will try it agen to remove this hack for CCU2.

I use this automation to controll themperatur on my flat with weather from internet.

#
- alias: "Heizung Kinderzimmer Abend"
  trigger:
   - platform: time
     after: '19:00:00'

action:
   - service: climate.set_temperature
     data:
       entity_id: climate.LEQ0999751
       temperature: 20

#
- alias: "Heizung Schlafzimmer Abend"
  trigger:
     after: '19:00:00'

action:
     data:
       entity_id: climate.LEQ0995272
       temperature: 19

#
- alias: "Heizung Wohnung Nacht"
  trigger:
     after: '23:00:00'

action:
     data:
       entity_id:
        - climate.MEQ0050405
        - climate.MEQ0686549
       temperature: 19

#
- alias: "Heizung Wohnung Tag"
  trigger:
     after: '06:00:00'

action:
     data_template:
       entity_id:
        - climate.LEQ0995272
        - climate.MEQ0050405
        - climate.MEQ0686549
       temperature: >
         {% if states('sensor.yweather_temperature_max') | int > 25 %}
         {% elif states('sensor.yweather_temperature_max') | int > 15 %}
         {% elif states('sensor.yweather_temperature_max') | int > 0 and states('sensor.yweather_condition') | lower in ['sunny', 'partly cloudy', 'mostly cloudy'] %}
         {% elif states('sensor.yweather_temperature_max') | int > 0 %}
         {% else %}
         {% endif %}

#
- alias: "Heizung Wohnung Abend"
  trigger:
    platform: sun
    event: sunset

condition:
    condition: time
    before: "20:00:00"

action:
    service: climate.set_temperature
    data:
      entity_id:
       - climate.MEQ0050405
       - climate.MEQ0686549
      temperature: 21

#
- alias: "Heizung Kinderzimmer Tag"
  trigger:
     after: '06:00:00'

action:
     data_template:
       entity_id: climate.LEQ0999751
       temperature: >
         {% if now().month | int > 10 and now().month | int < 4 %}
         {% else %}
         {% endif %}

I see the bug is fix with last firmware on CCU2. I will change that and make a small cleanup for 0.34

Edit
Done

Cool, the new version works nice.
I didn’t know the there was a different behavior in other devices.

Is there a need to have this behavior to be a option? If so, I could implement it.

Also: Thanks for the automation example. It is interesting to know how other people implement their automation.

Thanks,
Braveheuel

Hi,

i’m coming from IOBroker and would like to use my (old) HM-CC-TC THermostat with HA. I use it the same way you wrote: most time in Auto-Mode.
But at the moment i can’t see or change any set-temperature. As i understand in this thread it can’t be done in HA at the moment. How do you manage the set-temperature?

Hello mrMuppet!

Since Version 0.34 this I have no Problems with Auto-Mode (see https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/commit/754d98bcd5adc758fd1c280c40321e7c640cd779).

This thread here is about the HM-CC-RT-DN (https://wiki.fhem.de/wiki/Datei:HM-CC-RT-DN.jpg)