Hörmann garage door via MQTT

Hi,
hi @Tysonpower ,

I have a bit of an issue. I installed the RS485 Bridge from tysonpower yesterday at my Promatic 4. Everything worked fine so far.
Later in the evening I disabled the AP of the bridge, this resulted in a disconnect of the bridge from the Promatic 4. I guess a rescan is required everytime I reboot the esp32?

This morning I tried to open the garage with the “remote” and the keyswitch. No luck, the promatic does not react on any of these.

Is this a known issue?

No I have to figure out a way to get back into the garage …
Wife is already pissed…

Thanks for any advise.

The motor goes into some sort of lockdown if the bus connection drops. A restart of the motor helps so if you are able to turn off the circuit the motor is on, wait a few seconds and turn it back on again it should work.
That being said. I have a tynet board too, although on a Supramatic E4, and only once experienced said lockdown situation when I was disconnecting the board myself.
I’ve updated over the air, had bootloops/wifi reconnect loops and no lockdown so far. The board is running close for 3 months now and no issues and lockouts.

1 Like

just tested on my Motor, it behave exactly the same as yours, issue was that the half (Teilöffung) Position wasn’t set correctly on the Motor, have a loog at the User Manual of your Hörmann motor, worked for me fine after setting the Position.

as fw1 already wrote, after an esp reboot the motor want’s a rescan of the bus, it’s just some strange “Feature” of the Hörmann Motors, the communication still works (LEds blink on the ESP) but the Motor will lock until the buscan is started again.

The ESP will run fine for months without reboots, so don’t worry, after the initial Setup all should run fine.

If yu don’t have another Entry to the garage…well this will be a pain, but shouldn’t happen after Setup.

1 Like

What would happen if there is a full power outage to the house?
So both motor and ESP will lose power

Thanks. Poweroff the motor using the switch-fuse of the garage helped. I tried this before but maybe did not give it enough time. So it seems like “poweroff” will also tricker a bus scan, not only the dip-switch?

They both come back online and work like before. No new busscan needed.

I hope I do not have to enter the garage in this case …

For your information.
I have started working on an esphome addaption of the project. You can find the current work here: GitHub - mapero/esphome-hcpbridge

This is by far not finished. Currently only a cover and switch component are implemented.

5 Likes

Fantastic!!!

Brilliant! this project really fits esphome and using the encripted API would be much safer that just exposing the garage keys on the Wifi network…
Anyone that craks your wifi will inmediatly search for devices with exposed ports and that is all it takes for them to be able to open the gate…

What version of the HCPBridge from @Tysonpower are you using? I have the latest one
and no matter wether I attempt to load esphome or tasmota it enters a boot loop.
Board was working perfecly with the defauilt firmware it came with.

The same, v1.2.

Are you using latest esphome? I am using 2023.2.3
What motor are you using?

I never had a boot loop so far.

BTW: Did someone create a printable case for the board? :thinking:

Hi, not at home currently but the esphome version I use is 2023.10.1, I do not think it is specific to the code you published as I also tried to install the basic tasmota firmware for ESP32-S3, and basic ESPHome just with wifi, and obtained similar results.

Regarding the 3D printable enclosure, I intend to design one. Will share it once done.

Finally I was able to load ESPHome to the board. Had change these configs on the Platformio options:

board_build.flash_mode: dio
    monitor_speed: 115200

And uploaded the code direcly from the browser using HTTPS.

Not sure which one did the trick.

If your Wifi is that unsafe you should think about having a secure Home Network n the first place…if someone is in your Home Network the garage door will be your smallest problem i guess :slight_smile:

PS: If you use WPA2 and a secure Password you are quite safe to be honest.

it will be the dio flash mode, monitor baudrate is not really relevant :slight_smile:

Yes, I think so.

Also, I started to work in the enclosure:

1 Like

Very happy with this version, more tweaks could be made but it is perfectly operative for me.

Will share the STLs in Thingiverse as WIP once I arrive home.

Uploaded the STLs to Printables since Thingiverse seems to be broken and will not save the new part:
Hörmann RS485 Bridge v1.2 Enclosure on printables

2 Likes

I park my device for a couple of months as I had the garage door freezing issue. Over the last couple of weeks I have pulled it out again for another go.

I have downloaded the latest firmware from the dev channel, flashed it, its on my wifi network and the UI is all running perfectly.

When I plug it in and do the bus scan it is always coming up with 0, but without any logs I am really struggling to figure out the issue.

The only thing I can note is the TTLtoRS485 has no flashing lights, and I have tried flipping the TX/RX pins back and forth without zero impact.

Any ideas?