How can i have access to all the features with a manual install

Hello, this is my first post here.

I’m using a RPI3 with raspbian on which i’m running some other apps and i don’t want to format the sdcard to install HomeAssistan in the regular way.

So what i did is installed it manually following this guide: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/

Aafter a few days of pain of going though that crap with all the account switching and permissions, the first thing i noticed is i’m missing the Hassio tab, which is the tab every beginner tutorial video goes to the first time LOL.

After reading a few posts about this issue, i understand that basically i’ve installed the wrong thing and i can’t have access to all features.

I want to have access to all the features of HomeAssistant or Hassio together and i don’t care about any explination about how they are 2 different things, because i have already read plenty of posts that i don’t really understand or have patience to understand.

I don’t want to be frustrated by the fact that i’m missing an important tab or any of the features presented in tutorials.

So is there any way i can have access to all the crap without being forced to format my sd card?

Thank you.

1 Like

not really. If you’ve just started, you can backup your yaml files and use them again after you install hass.io

1 Like

As @DavidFW1960 already wrote, it is not possible. But the question is whether you really need any of the hassio functionallity. hassio is the default way to start with home assistant and is meant to be as easy as possible for beginners and future proof at the same time. If you know your way around Linux you are perfectly fine with just using home assistant the way you installed it.

2 Likes

I’m just getting started with Home Assistant and like probably any new guy i’m watching youtube videos where everyone seems to be hooked on the Hassio tab.

Could you point me to any getting started links where i don’t run into this problem, before i understand why i don’t need the tab?

PS: I’m a javascript developer and know a few things about linux too, but not sure where i could get the right documentation to get started.

There’s nothing provided by Hass.io addons that you can’t get via installing things in hassbian/linux. (Having said that I use Hassio on my NUC because I like docker and the addons etc). You can use whatever you like - whatever makes you comfortable.

A lot of ‘experts’ disparage hassio because it really makes general linux stuff inaccessible - it’s a locked down walled garden. Of course there are more sophistocated ways of using hassio with debian for example.

It’s totally your choice and plenty of people to help and guide you. Some people make a switch from one install method to another (and a lot go from hassbian to hassio).

1 Like

By now hassio can host a plethora of great addons but this can quickly overload your poor little RPI3 if you stack them on top. If you just want to start with HA you are perfectly fine with the way you installed it now. Hassio makes a few things easier like backup or rolling back if something goes wrong, but as @DavidFW1960 already said, there is nothing that can’t be achived with a venv installation.

I’m very surprised that no one has suggested “installing Hassio on a generic linux server” that can be found here:

I don’t use that install method (I run non-hassio in Docker in Debian) but I don’t think there is any impediment to installing it on your Pi in the same way.

You got confused and installed Home Assistant in a venv. If you wanted Hass.io you could followed the Linux installation instructions for Hass.io.
Scroll way down the page here to the generic Linux installation directions.

I didn’t suggest this approach because it’ not a beginners install (even though I use this method myself). For a HA newbie a hass.io install or hassbian will result in much less grief and it’s easy to switch when you have more experience with HA. It’s also unknown what else might have been installed on the Pi at this point.

The docker installation of Hassio provides more isolation and more consistent dependencies than a venv installation. Until recently I had a venv installation on Raspian. I am now playing with Hassbian. I think even a Linux Hassio installation is easier than either. I have used that too in the past.

Yes but it’s not for the faint hearted or a Linux/docker newbie.

Why? Will it explode? End life as we know it? :wink: :grinning:

Nah, it might just be a bit difficult. And if it doesn’t work then they can just re-burn the SD card with the good backup they made before attempting to install it that way and they are right back to where they are now.

You did make a backup didn’t you? :thinking:

Even if they are a HA newb we ought to at least show all the options and let them decide where their own limits of skill are.

Very true. I would be considered an HA newbie and I am struggling to learn Python & Docker, among other things. I am an “old” Unix admin and have worked with Linux too.I have worked with all the install possibilities (except straight Docker) as I am searching for the “best supported” method. I am currently using a media player component that uses a custom Python module so that makes Docker inconvenient since that module needs to be reinstalled after every upgrade :frowning:

I am in the process of moving from a manual venv install to a Hassbian one.The venv upgrade to 0.91 series had serious unresolved dependency issues. I did eventually get it working, though.

There’s no difference between the manual venv and hassbian aside from possibly the hassbian scripts. But I never used those even when I was running hassbian so I’m pretty sure they aren’t of real importance. And you might be able to get similar functionality using manual venv as well.

So I doubt I would go to the trouble to switch for almost no (or none at all) real gain in functionality.

They recently added some z-wave dependencies that needed to be manually added to venv but were supposedly handled by Hassbian. That led me to believe it was better supported.

I do think they are concentrating on Hass.io / Docker mainly though for upgrade stability

You should be using custom components then and not installing anything in docker.

There is nothing in hass.io that you can’t put in a venv or docker install of HA.
My first try was hass.io. It lasted about 5 minutes as there was too much missing from the underlying OS for me. I then went to what are running now on a Pi 3 for a year or so, before switching to a bunch of docker containers on an old notebook I had sitting around.

If you want to know how to write YAML, check out some of the github repos for ideas.

I use VS code on windows 10 for most of my code, accessed via a samba share. I have GIT installed on the windows computer as well as the Linux notebook and VS code keeps the config files synced with my Github repositories.

If you be specific with your questions, people will try and help you work it all out.

1 Like

I would be surprised if that was the case and I’d like to see a link supporting that statement.

After the initial install of either hassbian or manually in a venv (I’ve done both on the same rpi) from then on everything was functionally the same between the two including the update process so I don’t see how there could ever be any differences between the two methods.

From Z-Wave - Home Assistant

My installation before 0.91 worked without those.

I don’t understand what you mean by this. Hassbian is just Raspbian with HA pre-installed in a venv so what exactly are you changing?

1 Like