How do I add old philips hue bulb to new ZHA

I try and so far have no luck. Wondering if anyone know how to do it correctly.

1. to reset my old philips hue ← very old where the bridge are still round shape
  2. How do I add it to ZHA since it never connect? do I need to move the light bulb next to the ZHA coordinator?

I want to ditch the old philips hue bridge, so everything is controllable via my ZHA instead

You need to reset the bulb after deleting it from the old bridge. I used a Hue dimmer to reset and connect it directly to deconz in my case

1 Like

dont have dimmer and not planning to purchase any hue product anymore. Any other solutions?

1 Like

AFAIK, just deleting the bulb from your hue account puts in in pairing mode, allowing you to pair it to ZHA.

I believe its not, upon delete the bulb remain unvisible to my zigbee coordinator

1 Like

without the bridge or dimmer the only other way(s) to reset a Philips hue bulb is using an Alexa echo with the zigbee feature or a raspberry pi using the hue thief. You need to reset before you can pair the bulb with ZHA or another hub. I had exactly the same problem.

Using Echo - Fix - Reset Philips Hue bulbs via Amazon Echo Plus, Solve discovery problem - Techotv.com

Using hue thief - GitHub - vanviegen/hue-thief: Factory reset Philips Hue bulbs using an EZSP-based Zigbee USB stick. After a reset, bulbs can easily join any type of compatible bridge.

Goodluck

1 Like

yeah my though so… the problem is I dont have echo nor I have zigbee USB stick. Wondering if CC2531 usb dongle will work with hue-thief?

Thank you for the info

Do you know if sonoff bridge or sonoff usb stick work for hue-thief?

The otherway is to use Touchlink | Zigbee2MQTT

This worked with my SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus with this firmware: Z-Stack-firmware/CC1352P2_CC2652P_launchpad_coordinator_20211217.zip at 3275288c3a9497b4073604156e887778485c1b34 · Koenkk/Z-Stack-firmware · GitHub.
According to the docs only works for adapters based on a Texas Instruments chip (chips starting with CC, e.g. CC2652).

Put bulb right next to zigbee stick, power cycle bulb off and on, select touchlink and zigbee2mqtt will reset the bulb. Not sure why this method is not in the homeassistant docs, but it works. I reset 3 bulbs this way. Since the stick is $11 bucks from aliexpress, might be the cheapest way. Ditched my depreciated Hue Bridge v1 this way.

3 Likes

thank you for the info… btw you are using hue-thief or touchlink?

I used Touchlink, Hue thief did not work for my stick (Hue Thief is for Silicon Labs chip and I have a TI Chip).

After resetting bulbs, I also tried both ZHA and Zigbee2mqtt (via addon) to control them. Decided on Zigbee2mqtt because seemed a little more stable for me.

any guide on how to use touchlink to reset the bulb? do I need to install touchlink seperately? zigbee is very new for me… so many things are un explore…

The link to the touhlink guide is in the post above. The full documentation is here: Home | Zigbee2MQTT

Basic steps:

1. Install Zigbee2MQTT (I installed as a home assistant addon). You use this instead of the built-in ZHA integration. Directions in link above, but you add a custom addon repository.
  2. Only thing I had to configure is the addon configuration is the device (the sonoff stick is “port: /dev/ttyUSB0” and make sure “permit_join: true”
  3. Give it time to start up, like a few minutes.
  4. Put the bulbs right next to the zigbee stick. Turn bulb off/on right before next step.
  5. Click Touchlink in the Addon Web Interface, click scan, then factory reset the bulbs it finds
1 Like

Just deleting the bulbs from the ZHA network worked for me.
I just removed the device and started searching for new devices on my other home assistant instance.

1 Like

Thanks, this was throwing me off. I deleted the light from the hue app and opened dconz then photoscon, scanned for lights. Turned light off for 3 seconds and back on and instantly recognized with no reset needed.

Do new Hue bulbs which have not previously been paired to a hub have any specific requirements to begin the pairing process via ZHA or does it just start automatically once the bulb is turned on?

I was able to pair new hue bulbs to my zigbee stick through ZHA just by turning them on and initiating the pairing process in HA.

This popped up on google when I couldn’t get a refurbished Hue lamp to sync to my zigbee2mqtt. Going to Touchpoint > reset fixed it for me. Thanks for this!

I just did this procedure today:

1. Removed each bulb from my Hue’s bridge via the iOS app
  2. Go into ZHA and allow it to discover new devices
  3. Every bulb I removed showed up and was re-added back in without issues.

I would assume this would work for brand new out of the boxes also but it took me less than 3 minutes.

3 Likes

Use your bridge. Make sure both bulb and bridge are powered at the time you are deleting it through Hue app. If bulb is not on it will not receive the wipe and will still search for that bridge. Learned the hard way.

Then after removal from Bridge go into ZHA and click discover devices. It usually takes around 5 sec between deletion in app to being visible in ZHA