How do I back everything up? SOLVED

Need some help here.
I installed samba.
Copy pasted my last snap shot from my dropbox to the backup folder.
It does not appear under my snapshot in HA.
I checked Samba addon log; restarted HA. Waited for 30 min nothing. Any idea because I dont know what to check next.

you need to click the refresh button on the snapshot page

Thanks David, its kind of obvious. It worked… First time recovering but I’ll remember this one.

Yeah it’s only obvious when you know.

1 Like

I think i have an issue with file permission while restoring.

I have hass.io instance which is running in Windows 10 - Hyper-V - Ubuntu - Docker. Lets call this Ubuntu 1
It is running ok, i just want to transfer it to new PC with fresh Ubuntu with docker. Ubuntu 2.
I intalled Ubuntu - Docker - latest Hass.io and when I try to restore backup from other HA instance nothing happens, everything stays the same.
When i try to unpack backup archive file manually to various homeassistant folders i run up into various file / user permission errors, pretty much impossible, at least for me.
Even the backup file is showed as “owner is another user” and i need sudo permissions on ubuntu 2 to unpack it…

Is there easy way to transfer backup file from other OS, what am I missing ?

Thanks

a bit off this topic, but have you tried this?

Hmm, thanks, will try :slight_smile:

Hi, after i restored full snapshot on a fresh Hassio installation (in a new sd card), i was surprising to find inside the full size db (says 700Mb) as it was in the original sd card…
How is it possible? The db is embedded in the snapshot???

Ok, log says that db was malformed, so i uploaded my previous backup and now all is ok.

Question about restoring the snapshot, shall i choose restored selected or wipe and restore?
Also, if i installed a newer Hassio as compared to my snapshot, should i restore also the older Hassio?

Basically which one below should i go for during restore?

1. Select everything including older Hassio in snapshot, choose restore selected option
  2. Select everything EXCEPT older Hassio in snapshot, choose restore selected option
  3. Select everything including older Hassio in snapshot, choose wipe and restore

Please advise.

I always do a wipe and restore. It will restore the older hassio as well I have seen in the past.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is. If you didn’t do any modification to standard db, then it’s a sqlite db: a text file.
Sqlite is fascinating!

@arretx, I am new to HA, I managed to backup file, but the new version of Hassio didn’t have a folder named backup, the whole config folder file lists are:

So where should I place the backup file in this case? Thanks

You can find a backup solution here: https://smart-home-assistant.de/backup-sicherheitskopie-erstellen-auf-google-drive/
The instructions are in german language

I still can’t figure out how to take a snapshot. I’m running home assistant from the docker image, is the snapshot option available when running from the docker image? Does anyone know how to do a backup/restore when running in this configuration? I assumed I should just be able to take a copy of the /config directory, but that does not seem to work…

Important information! Well, for me at least.

Took me a while to figure it out. The path of the backup folder that everyone keep mentioning is:

smb://HA_IP/backup/
not
smb://HA_IP/config/backup/

Funny. The refresh button in the right corner is now working like a charm… :rofl:

Hello! I don’t have HASSIO because I run Home Assistant on my Android. (btw is there to put hassio on android?).

How can I backup? Should I just make a copy of my .homeassistant folder? Is that enough for backing up everything?

Instead of creating a new topic I thought I’ll jump in here: I want to download a snapshot but the download does not start. When I click on “download” it only highlights it. I am using the Android app or the Android browser.

It seems here there is a lot of info about restoring backups. Only one question:

• If I have a backup for a 32 bit Hassio install… can I restore it into a 64 bit Hassio install?

If it’s a snapshot it won’t care if it’s 32 restored to 64 (or vice versa)

1 Like