How do I back everything up? SOLVED

Just you. I’ve restored snapshots maybe 10 times and they have absolutely everything in them.

2 Likes

Robocopy is a hass.io addon?

1 Like

It is a windows command line tool

1 Like

Ok, so it might have been related to the reason why it crashed at the end. But it did not warn me in any case, so I do not trust it anymore.

Hi @bruxy70, I’m with you Snapshot for me has not been perfect and does not seem to restore everything. Unfortunately I suffered some corruption on my RPi SDD card and when I restored from a snapshot to a fresh SDD card it did not recover everything from the web console. I was manually able to recover some of the missing files myself by extracting the archives and putting missing files where they were required but I still lost data - the likes of data inside of the Docker containers; My Node-RED automations, my PiHole config etc, etc…

I’d love to have an automated “online” backup and as a consequence, I’ve now put a mini USB reader and microSDD card into one of the free USB slots and I’ve performed a disk to disk copy. I know this is not perfect but running this daily overnight as a cron job would meet my needs. However, the Hass.io build does not support crontab :astonished:.

I would be interested to understand if anyone else has any ideas on how I might do this short of moving away from Hass.io as the host OS for Home Assistant…

Having learnt a little more about containers and docker it seems it is possible to run crontab - I was just logged in at the wrong level…

arretxJon Griffith

Oct '17

Regarding restoration, is the routine as follows:

• Backup from the Snapshot menu.
  • Preserve backup file away from SD card.
  • If system should need to be restored, download the most recent HASS.IO image and start fresh on your SD card.
  • Setup Samba.
  • Copy the backup to the backup folder.
  • Use the Restore in the Snapshot screen.

Is the version of HASS.IO installed at the time of the backup critical to a successful restore, or does the backup only contain configuration information for HA? Thanks!

I’ve like to know the answer to this also… Is the version of HASS.IO installed at the time of the backup critical to a successful restore, or does the backup only contain configuration information for HA?

What I’ve found is that my configurations are tied closely to the functionality of the version of HASS.io that was running when that configuration was backed up. So, at the very least, keep track of what version you’re on and what the current version is so you know if you need to make the required changes to your configuration after restoring to a newer version.

You do not need to restore on the same version as you created the snapshot on. When restoring the snapshot you are presented with options around this, I don’t have them to hand.

Hi,

i have installed Homeassistant on an Intel NUC via the Virtual Environment Method. So no Hass.io. Is it possible to also get the Backup Option there?

Thx and regards
danyo

1 Like

After getting the error Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js when attempting to open Configurator, I had to install a new SD card. I have restored a full snapshot and all devices and automations are working fine. But my home panel is a mesh. How can I restore the home panel from the backup?

Need some help here.
I installed samba.
Copy pasted my last snap shot from my dropbox to the backup folder.
It does not appear under my snapshot in HA.
I checked Samba addon log; restarted HA. Waited for 30 min nothing. Any idea because I dont know what to check next.

you need to click the refresh button on the snapshot page

Thanks David, its kind of obvious. It worked… First time recovering but I’ll remember this one.

Yeah it’s only obvious when you know.

1 Like

I think i have an issue with file permission while restoring.

I have hass.io instance which is running in Windows 10 - Hyper-V - Ubuntu - Docker. Lets call this Ubuntu 1
It is running ok, i just want to transfer it to new PC with fresh Ubuntu with docker. Ubuntu 2.
I intalled Ubuntu - Docker - latest Hass.io and when I try to restore backup from other HA instance nothing happens, everything stays the same.
When i try to unpack backup archive file manually to various homeassistant folders i run up into various file / user permission errors, pretty much impossible, at least for me.
Even the backup file is showed as “owner is another user” and i need sudo permissions on ubuntu 2 to unpack it…

Is there easy way to transfer backup file from other OS, what am I missing ?

Thanks

a bit off this topic, but have you tried this?

Hmm, thanks, will try :slight_smile:

Hi, after i restored full snapshot on a fresh Hassio installation (in a new sd card), i was surprising to find inside the full size db (says 700Mb) as it was in the original sd card…
How is it possible? The db is embedded in the snapshot???

Ok, log says that db was malformed, so i uploaded my previous backup and now all is ok.

Question about restoring the snapshot, shall i choose restored selected or wipe and restore?
Also, if i installed a newer Hassio as compared to my snapshot, should i restore also the older Hassio?

Basically which one below should i go for during restore?

1. Select everything including older Hassio in snapshot, choose restore selected option
  2. Select everything EXCEPT older Hassio in snapshot, choose restore selected option
  3. Select everything including older Hassio in snapshot, choose wipe and restore

Please advise.