How do I switch to Zwave JS?

@sham thank you for helping there! Glad to see it might be fixed. Guess now the question is when will that fix make it over to the Home Assistant version?

I asked the question and @martinhjelmare said that there is a breaking change in a later zwavejs release so that needs to be resolved first. Probably March.

https://github.com/home-assistant/addons/issues/1840#issuecomment-782265470

I’m running zwaveJS3mqtt in a separate docker and the Home Assistant to connect over web sockets. Working great! Really notice a speed difference (even though I didn’t think it was slow on zwave 1.4 integration).

Ah ok, thanks! I’m in a bit of a purgatory with Zwave. Not sure what happened but I lost the climate object on my thermostats on Ozwave (beta). So I’m doing the same thing running the ZwaveJS2MQTT docker image as well to bypass the bug and is working great, but it isn’t giving me the climate object either. Though through the MQTT integration I’m able to get a climate object.

Hi,
Yes but as I wrote, I have replaced batteries in them to make shore they wake up. With no luck.

A little bit lost. Shall we set it up via integrations or add on? What is the difference?

check out the community guides sections. This zwave overview will help you understand how they are all linked and you can make the decision yourself.

those aren’t mutually exclusive.

You have to run the integration no matter how you install the zwavejs server.

There are multiple ways to install the zwavejs server which are explained in the thread petro linked to above.

I’ve switched addon to the ‘Z-Wave JS to MQTT’ and uninstalled ‘Z-Wave JS’ addon. But it always installs itself back. A do not know why. Is there any solution to avoid it?

1 Like

Same thing happens to me after installing Zwavejs. I deleted the old deprecated Z-wave addon, but it’s always coming back…

Is it possible to install the Zwave JS Add-on while also running the older/deprecated Zwave 1.4 so that the latter can pick up devices before adding/switching to the Zwave JS integration?

I tried switching over yesterday and followed the guides. All the plug in devices moved over fine but the battery ones did not.

I could see data for a Zooz 4-in-1 sensor in the Zwave JS logs showing temp, humidity, luminance and motion but the device never updated to show the entities. Similarly for my Dome leak sensors. Removed battery from one then inserted to wake up but did not show anything.

I really don’t want a 1-3 day window where all of my leak sensors stop working.

you can…kind of…

Since both integrations can’t use the zwave controller at the same time you need to stop the zwave1.4 before you install the add-on so that the add-on can access the controller. You don’t need to remove the old zwave integration - just stop the zwave network.

Once the add-on is running, install the zwavejs integration.

Once that is running then you need to wake up your devices using whatever the procedure is for your device (it’s not always removing/inserting the battery), then you need to somehow re-interview the node. I’m not sure if this is a functionality that is offered by the zwavejs add-on but it can be done using the zwavejs2mqtt add-on.

Once everything is correctly discovered and the entities are discovered by HA you can then stop the add-on and restart the old zwave network again.

Now you should have all of the new entities from zwavejs that you can rename to be mostly similar to the existing entity id’s. For example rename them to the existing entity_id but add “_js” to the end of the entity_id or something similar (binary_sensor.example to binary_sensor.example_js).

Then once everything is functioning as you want you can turn off the old zwave network and fully switch to the zwavejs integration. and then just rename your new entities to match the old entities and all of your automation, etc will still work as they did.

The good thing about doing it like this is that you can control when and how long your zwave network is impacted. If you get to the point that you can’t mess around trying to get battery devices discovered then just switch back to the old zwave integration and you haven’t lost anything.

1 Like

There is a checkbox you have to uncheck when installing the Zwave JS integration. If you didn’t uncheck it the addon will keep coming back. You can stop it without having to reinstall the addon if you edit the config/.storage/core.config_entries file and find the entry for Z-Wave JS, which has a use_addon property. Change it’s value to false and restart and it will stop bringing back the addon.

1 Like

Thanks. I solved issue by reinstalling integration with unchecked checkbox.

I have the exact same problem as AGW:

• Main HA instance runs on a seperate server
  • Raspberry Pi 3b with Razberry board runs HA as well (for easy deployment and updating). The Zwave JS is working within that instance. Triied both MQTT version and non-MQTT and both connect just fine to the board and see the nodes.
  • Back on the main HA instance try to use the (fixed) IP address to connect to the RP3b but always get “Failed to connect” and Ip adress is also not saved.

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 11.18.58

It looks like a bug to me tbh. Either the firewall on the RP3b ‘Zwave JS Server’ is not opened correctly to the LAN or the integration does not properly try to connect.

Or does anyone see a configuration error?

Did you use HA on the Raspberry to run the ZWave JS server, or did you use another server installation method?

Are you unchecking the first box that appears when installing the integration? If not, that’s your problem.

Yes, I do. Otherwise you don’t get the option to select a host.

If it’s not saving then it’s not connecting initially. This is most likely something with your network between HA and it’s route to the server.

Are you just running the server on the other machine, or is the server running inside another HA instance?

If yes, then you need to enable TCP on the addon. Expose a port here, not sure if this option exists for just the Zwave JS addon. This is it for the ZwaveJS2MQTT:

That did the trick! Thanks so much!! I didn’t understand what was expected in that field and putting in a portnumber and restarting the raspberry host (just the plugin wasn’t enough) worked.

Thanks! You made my day!!!