How do update deCONZ firmware?

My deCONZ setup used to work but doesnt now.

Error:
device state timeout ignored in state 2

Gateway info
Firmware: Not connected

I found the instructions to update the firmware, but I’m unable to follow the steps because it says “command not found” after many of the steps.

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 4.23.26 PM

I am assuming that the Terminal tab in HA is where I enter these commands.

I was not able to copy the terminal text of when I followed the instructions in the firmware update guide, but I took a screenshot.

I have spent many hours reading and trying to get deCONZ working, please let me know what I am missing or what steps to try next.

This person had a similar issue to mine, and said they were able to fix it by updating the firmware. I am hoping to do that also, but apparently need help.

Screenshot of attempt to update firmware (following instructions) in Terminal.

SETUP INFO

I am using
Conbee II USB stick (in HA Pi)

Deconz 6.10.0

Phoscon-GW172.30.33.1

HA Core 2021.10.6

OS 6.5

in deCONZ integration, I have my device selected as “/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2190867-if00”

USB stick is plugged into an extension cable to avoid interference.

I have not added
dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
or made any other edits to the config.txt because I cannot access that file and don’t fully understand the command anyways. deCONZ used to work before and I had not edited that file.

In deCONZ the Xiaomi and IKEA switches and sensors are not working.

deCONZ runs in a docker container, so you would have to connect to that container to upgrade. An easy way to connect is to install the Portainer add-on, and from the UI you can select the “exec console” (>_) option beside addon_core_deconz. Then you can kill the process and flash with:

for exe in /proc/*/exe; do ls -l $exe; done
    kill pid <---- insert number from previous command for deCONZ process (eg. kill 344)
    GCFFlasher_internal -d /dev/ttyUSB0 -f /usr/share/deCONZ/firmware/deCONZ_?????.bin.GCF

Where ??? is the firmware version stored in the shared folder. I have not tried this myself, so good luck.

Note that it looks like you are using Home Assistant OS, so ps is not installed to list processes.

Personally I always used process for Windows, as described in your instruction link. It requires to reconnect stick to Windows machine, download and in put into selected folder some files (not even installation), add the driver and run some commands from PowerShell. 5 minutes work.
What I found is that in general this process fails if run from docker or virtual machine - I tried few times with Windows and Linux. That’s why, I believe, it is also removed from HA addon front end, that runs id coker, without direct access USB port, only using sort of pass-through connection.

Would you be able to write dumbed down instructions for me?
It talks about using a GCFFlasher, but I don’t know the details on what that means in order to know what to do with those files.
I also don’t have “deCONZ installed in my profile”.

It sounds like you are saying you can download the latest firmware and put it on the conbee stick from a windows pc, which makes sense. I would like to try it.

But I don’t understand a large portion of the instructions in that section of the documentation, because I am not very deep into this technical world.

Sorry for my lack of understanding

You need terminal access to HA OS (SSH or direct). I run HA as a VM, so I was easily able to access this directly.

From the HA prompt just type “login” then press enter and you’ll be at the HA OS root prompt. Note that this probably doesn’t work this way from the ssh add-on, I forget off the top of my head.

Then run: docker container ls | grep deconz to get the container name, if installed as an addon, the current name is simply “addon_core_deconz”.

Next get in to the container with: docker exec -it addon_core_deconz bash. Now you should have a root@core-deconz prompt. Now you just do as @michaelblight said above:

The firmware file should already be in place from deCONZ trying to install it earlier. Just pick the right file for your stick. You can look that up here. Note that the “Rpi” versions are for Rpi and also ConBee I.