How do you add user codes to Kwikset 914 via zigbee2mqtt?

So I just purchased and installed the Kwikset 914 zigbee smart lock and hooked it up to HA via the zigbee2mqtt integration (Kwikset 99140-031 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT). According to the lock’s documentation, you can add user codes via your controller (in fact it recommends it), but I can’t figure out where to do that in the HA UI. I assume it should be done in the zigbee2mqtt UI for the device, but there’s nothing obvious about how to do it.

Anyone have any luck with this? I can’t seem to find any information online anywhere.

I also can’t seem to find any documentation on the various settings I have access to in the UI (like Bind or Reporting sections)…kwikset documentation is severely lacking.

I’ve usually found these sort of settings in Z2M in the device’s “Exposes” or “Settings (specific)” sections. However, I’m wondering if you’ll need to use the “Dev console” and choosing an Endpoint & Cluster to write to. What I see in the device setup code is that there are 2 devices that have a pincode_lock attribute that can be sent to the device, all others only have a lock attribute. It also looks like those 2 devices are also setup to expose the pincode do you happen to see that in the “Exposes” tab on the device? I’m seeing in the converters code that it looks like the pincode_lock is what is used to set the pincode and associate it with a user number.

You can find that code here:

OK, so I think Z2M is going to have to be updated to support that functionality. Looking here I see now the model you specified doesn’t have the pincode_lock option.

1 Like

Here’s all that I see in “Exposes”

OK, so I think Z2M is going to have to be updated to support that functionality. Looking here I see now the model you specified doesn’t have the pincode_lock option.

How can I help here? Should I just put in an Issue in that repo to add support?

@smenzer yeah I’d open up a GitHub issue indicating that there is missing pincode_lock support for that model of lock. I might be able to provide you with a custom converter for testing and help get that updated.

thanks @timnolte! I’ve created a github issue as you suggested. happy to help test!

:+1:t3: I’ll see what I can do, and keep tabs on that Issue.

@smenzer can you DM me a screenshot of your About tab in Z2M?

Just yesterday I installed the same lock and had the same question. I’m happy to help with any testing needed as well.

FYI, for anyone else looking for the pincode Z2M support I have opened up a PR with the code fixes for Z2M. There are challenges with how the functionality is exposed to Home Assistant directly. You can see the larger impacts of this for ZigBee Smart Locks in general here:

If you need the support immediately before the next release of Z2M feel from to DM me and I can provide you a custom converter to add the support until the changes are in the official release.

How about the Kwikset 620 which is the newer replacement model that has the S2 chip? I am not seeing the PIN option there either.

@zMl2 send me a DM with as much details on the lock and what you have in Z2M and I can try to help out.

Any chance we get this added to the Kwikset 910 as well?

1 Like

@smenzer did you ever get this working?

I have the same lock and am using the latest z2m. I see the pincode and user features in the exposes tab and related messages triggered in z2m logs when I edit those fields but the user attributes on the state tab never change and the codes don’t work on the lock. I also don’t see these settings exposed in HA. Only lock/unlock control (which works).

Note, my lock is identified by z2m as weiser smartcode 10.

Model 9GED18000-009

Never mind - solved it! The Z2M UI works; I had an insufficient number of digits in my PIN code, and it was failing silently (lock does not send a response if the request was invalid).

I also successfully created a script in HA that sets or disables a particular PIN. It would be nice to do it via card, but that’s a project for another day.

@wildhass yea…it’s not a great UX currently…i wish there was a built-in UI to manage the different user codes and their PINs. right now for any permanent users/pins I store them in a password manager. For temporary ones, I just have to use a new user and then remember to disable it later.

Could port this ZHA script to Z2M: [Z-Wave][Zigbee] Set temporary guest code for door lock

I agree with this!!! @timnolte I can’t seem to get my 910 to work. It shows User, User Type, User Enabled, and Pin Code in the Pin Code section, but when I click apply in the UI nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong or does the 910 not work?

If you can DM me with details about the 910 and all of the details for it that show up in Z2M and I can see if I can add support for it. I’ll probably send you a custom converter for testing prior to opening up a PR for to be added officially.

At least you guys got your lock to pair! Using a Sonoff USB Zigbee dongle with a Weiser Smartcode 10, can’t even get it connected!