How I Set Up My RV for HA

I see this topic come up from time to time and I’ve read quite a few of the posts about how to make use of HA while in your RV so I wanted to share what I have come up with over the past year that is working well for me.

I have a few Z-Wave, a couple Zigbee, a few Bluetooth and some WiFi in my RV, along with the normal weather updates and so forth that I wanted to configure. I’m working on some ESPHome devices to replace all my current 12v light switches (WIP) so I needed to have everything in place because I’m addicted to home automation.

The first thing I did is rename my system so that I could reach homeassistant.local for my house but when my RV is plugged in and in front of my house pre-trip I wanted to be able to connect to that, so I went with renaming it to rvassistant.local via Settings → System → Network:

Now I can easily swap between the two without the IP address or any potential conflicts. I also subscribe to Nabu Casa so I can still always reach my home HA easily. I thought about wanting that on my RV but the fact is, currently, I’m not powering up HA when the RV is in storage so it’s not an issue right now, except I would like to take advantage of using TTS over Alexa through Nabu Casa, but it’s not critical because I also have homepods and link to HomeKit so Siri takes care of me on voice commands and I have Airfoil on my Mac laptop for any TTS needs for now.

Internet Connectivity

One of my really fun systems to create was Internet access. I have three systems for Internet, the park wifi (which always sucks) and I use a Ubiquity antenna for that but it is so strong that it overpowers using it to relay cell phones as hotspots so I also have a TP Link with a much “quieter” antenna power that easily relays in-rig cell phones and then my cellular Netgear Nighthawk M1. I’ll bounce around all three of those as either data plans get used up or speeds suck, so I created a system of sensors to know which Internet is currently active:

The system I use for this is that the Ubiquity and Hotspot are always the same IP address, but the TP link changes according to what wifi you are connected to, fortunately they have a generic domain name you can query that will resolve that (tplinkrepeater.net). The idea is that only one will be active, so if one pings then that’s our Internet. For this system I just created an input_select helper with Not Connected and then the three different Internet options and I wrote automation that says if none ping then it’s Not Connected, otherwise whichever pings changes the select so I’m never confused as to which gateway we are using. I do it like this:

alias: "Trigger: Internet Connectivity Changes Set Gateway"
description: >-
  When the Internet connects check which gateway is active and set the helper to
  that value
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.internet
  - platform: time_pattern
    minutes: /15
condition: []
action:
  - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: and
            conditions:
              - condition: not
                conditions:
                  - condition: state
                    entity_id: binary_sensor.ubnt_bullet
                    state: "on"
                conditions:
                    entity_id: binary_sensor.netgear_nighthawk
                conditions:
                    entity_id: binary_sensor.tp_link
        sequence:
          - service: input_select.select_option
            data:
              option: Not Connected
            target:
              entity_id: input_select.internet_connectivity
      - conditions:
            entity_id: binary_sensor.ubnt_bullet
        sequence:
            data:
              option: Ubiquity WiFi Repeater
            target:
      - conditions:
            entity_id: binary_sensor.netgear_nighthawk
        sequence:
            data:
              option: Netgear Nighthawk Cellular Hotspot
            target:
      - conditions:
            entity_id: binary_sensor.tp_link
        sequence:
            data:
              option: TP-Link WiFi Repeater
            target:
mode: single

And whenever that helper changes, I have another trigger to reload Speedtest:

alias: "Trigger: Internet Connectivity Changes and We Are Online"
description: ""
trigger:
    entity_id:
      - input_select.internet_connectivity
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.internet
    to: "on"
condition:
    entity_id: binary_sensor.internet
action:
  - service: homeassistant.reload_config_entry
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id:
        - sensor.speedtest_download
mode: single

One of the reasons I set it up this way was so that all wifi in my RV was ever just one network, it’s just a run-of-the-mill Netgear wifi router with a WAN port, whatever is in that wan port is the Internet so I can swap out internet connections freely without changing the wifi name across all devices in the rig, only the actual device connected to the WAN port.

Internet Connectivity: Update April 15, 2024

I realized last season that Speedtest was blowing through my mobile data plan pretty fast, so I decided to change some aspects of how I use Speedtest to not having it downloading 400+mb frequently, instead now it only does it on demand and once per day when we wake up.

I first created three helper entities for Speedtest Last Download, Speedtest Last Upload and Speedtest Last Ping to capture the values from Speedtest before it gets disabled (so it doesn’t run). I then created a script to use Spook (HACS) to re-enable Speedtest, let it populate values (which it does when it initializes), push those values to my helpers and then disable Speedtest again:

refresh_speedtest:
  alias: Refresh Speedtest
  icon: "mdi:speedometer"
  sequence:
    - service: input_number.set_value
      metadata: {}
      data:
        value: 0
      target:
        entity_id: input_number.speedtest_last_download

data:
      target:
        entity_id: input_number.speedtest_last_upload

data:
      target:
        entity_id: input_number.speedtest_last_ping

- service: homeassistant.enable_config_entry
      data:
        config_entry_id: a5c8e58af62c6173069bba92c4495122

- wait_template: "{{ states('sensor.speedtest_download') not in ['unavailable','unknown'] }}"
      continue_on_timeout: true
      timeout: "00:05:00"

- delay: "00:00:10"

- service: homeassistant.disable_config_entry
      data:
        config_entry_id: a5c8e58af62c6173069bba92c4495122

Then I have a button my dashboard that will fire that script outside of it’s scheduled run time. The new dash doesn’t differ much from the original as I set up the helper entities to use the same unit of measurement that Speedtest does.

Propane Sensors

My next fun project was wrangling my Mopeka propane sensors (Bluetooth) so that not only do I know which is active but it also lets me know when they are getting low. I utilize Cardmod a lot in my HA setups, so I have thresholds to change the color as the tank is getting low (still trial and error on this since tanks only fill to 80% to allow for gas expansion). So, at a glance I can see both my tanks are full:

And each click of the “Active Tank” changes another input_select to toggle between Driver, Passenger or Both:

swap_propane_tank:
  alias: Swap Propane Tank
  icon: mdi:propane-tank
  sequence:
      data:
        option: >
          {% set side = states('input_select.active_propane_tank') %}
          {% if side == 'Driver' %}
            {{'Passenger'}}
          {% elif side == 'Passenger' %}
            {{'Dual'}}
          {% else %}
            {{'Driver'}}
          {% endif %}
      target:
        entity_id: input_select.active_propane_tank

I have several groups of template sensors for each configuration, with one more for just reporting the top section (and other areas of my dashboard), so my summary template sensor looks like this:

sensor:
  - name: "Active Propane Tank Level"
    unique_id: "1041c2f9-daac-479e-b5cb-a18b90c4ef6a"
    unit_of_measurement: "in"
    device_class: distance
    icon: mdi:arrow-left-right
    state: >-
      {% set side = states('input_select.active_propane_tank') %}
      {% if side == 'Driver' %}
        {{ states('sensor.propane_driver_tank_level') }}
      {% elif side == 'Passenger' %}
        {{ states('sensor.propane_passenger_tank_level') }}
      {% elif side == 'Dual' %}
        {% set driver = float(states('sensor.propane_driver_tank_level'), 0) %}
        {% set passenger = float(states('sensor.propane_passenger_tank_level'), 0) %}
        {{ driver + passenger | round(1) }}
      {% endif %}

Knowing the tank levels has been super helpful so I know if I need to switch before going to bed, so I have automations that alert me if I need to switch tanks or take them in for refill.

Weather and Locations

Which takes me to weather and locations! This was a bit tricky, and I still want to refine this further, but my best option was to use a combination of date/time helpers to fire off on the day I’m traveling to a new park that will fire a script to force HA to change its location (this mostly for GPS tracking). So my travel dash looks like this:

And each date/time helper as well as the Force Stop buttons just execute scripts:

location_stop_2:
  alias: RV Park Stop 2 (Location)
  icon: mdi:map-marker
  sequence:
    - service: homeassistant.set_location
      data:
        latitude: 35.5888932
        longitude: -106.0452443

- service: persistent_notification.create
      data:
        title: Add Weather to RV Assistant
          "You have arrived at your second stop, add this new location to the OpenWeatherMap integration as once-daily and update the dashboard to reflect the local weather.<br><br>
          Use API Key [hidden to protect the innocent...] for OpenWeatherMap.<br><br>Happy camping!"

And, as the message says, I just set up a new OpenWeatherMap for that location. This part needs refinement.

I’ll try to remember to update this thread as I create new cool things for the RV but so far I’m super happy with how it has turned out! I have a few other bits like using some Broadlinks to allow me to issue voice commands to turn on the TV or change the output source or whatever.

One cool addition I made last month was adding a Belkin SoundForm Connect AirPlay 2 that lets me utilize the built-in RV distributed sound system with my Apple TV or any other AirPlay device, I love that thing, I don’t lose any ability to switch between indoor/outdoor speakers with a touch of the screen.

I also set up an ESPHome device at the house that pings my main house HA every 20 seconds or so in case it locks up while I’m on the road and if there’s no response for 2 minutes it will power off HA and power it back on, hopefully avoiding me having to call someone to reset it for me. Along with this my HA monitors my Internet and will reboot my internet router automatically over time until the connection returns, again hopefully avoiding any chance that I’m 500 miles away and can’t get to my home network.

I’m still working on decoding the Bluetooth from my Levelmate Pro so I can see the RV level on my HA dash, but it’s not that important since it has an app and the only time I use it is when I first arrive, but I’m a nerd so I want it on my dashboard not because I need it but because I can!

UPDATE: December 21, 2023

Over the summer I added a bluetooth temperature and humidity gauge that I stick above my RV thermostat with some Museum Putty and it works great with HA, I now get temperature and humidity over bluetooth for further integrations.

I’ve started working on my dynamic weather plugin that I hope to put on HACS by next spring, I wanted to wait until the dust settled from the changes to the forecast model.

I’m also working on a solar powered, cell enabled Internet option so I can keep in communication with my RV when stored.

10 Likes

Hello! Liking your set-up!

I’ve run HA for years at home and am now setting up an instance in our camper. We take 4-14 day trips every month or so and will be slowly making things ‘smart’

I was wondering, how did you set up the location services to update? In particular I want the weather & forecast portions to update… as well as my allergen panel.

I’m still working on a dynamic weather system, I haven’t had a ton of time so I’ve just been poking at it here and there.

A couple of new updates I forgot to add over the summer listed above.

1 Like

way cool. I have just started with HA, but also use the Mopeka sensors in my RV.
I have the remote monitor to check… but the idea of having something live is interesting.

not having any bluetooth devices (in my brick home ha) makes me wonder how to do this…

on the monitoring side, if you used docker, then a good tool is

https://github.com/louislam/uptime-kuma

it can trigger automations(reboot), and notifications…

1 Like

You ever think of a smart water pump, if too much usage it will shut itself off to avoid flooded RV or if out of water?

Also with the location would it work to take the Location of your phone to input zip code to HA for weather updates?

I have a leak sensor there now that will alert me on my phone, but it probably wouldn’t be terribly difficult to add a water shutoff system. Good idea, I might have to think one up. I have had two water pumps blow up on me and flood my “basement”, no damage, but one of those things you don’t realize until you step out and hear water hitting the ground!

That’s sort of what I do now already, I want it to use the GPS of my current location, which I’m working on, so it’s completely automatic and hands off.

For water thinking more of if you run tanks dry or leave faucet on.

RV pumps should handle try tanks without an issue and I check the levels on the monitor pretty regularly. I have considered adding some tank meters and incorporating it but it’s lower on my priority list currently. I don’t really dry camp that often, usually I’m connected to city water - although a new 7500 genny was acquired this year to change that :slight_smile:

We run 95 percent time off water pump. I’m thinking power monitor and relay on one

1 Like

What hardware are you using to run homeasssitant on? Raspberrypi or something else. Also how do you have everything wired up with the 12v system??

Awesome write up! Did you ever get the level mate pro integrated?

Sorry, I missed this before. I run a rPi 4B 8GB. It runs on my mains but I have a switch and a buck converter for the 12V down to 5V for dry camping when I need it, but I rarely use it.

Thanks! The level mate is on my todo list this season (coming up very soon actually). I have a few more tweaks I’m making with integrating some more stuff so I don’t know if the level mate will make the cut as I’m making my own 12V switches to automate through HA for all the lights as one of my high priority items.

Hey, it’s awesome to see another Coloradoan doing this stuff. Thanks for the writeup!

I’m currently in the middle of converting a van and am trying to figure out what hardware to use for controlling the overhead lights. What are you using and are you able to control dimming with it?

If you are doing your own conversion I would do some ESP devices with a buck converter on them. I’m doing that for my pre-built RV but making them into a proper switch replacement.

You might want to consider the Shelly Plus 1 for your switches. They allow you to tie in a physical switch (push button) and you can control them with HA. I just did the upgrade over the winter. No dimming functionallity though. The nice thing about these Shelly’s is that they can run on 12VDC, meaning they will work when you are not connected to shore power.

I also installed garnet tanks sensors over the winter and installed the Garnet 709-BTP3 SeeLevel II Tank Monitor with Bluetooth. This advertises the tank levels via BLE and I wrote a custom integration to show the levels in HA. Really looking forward to see what automations/notifications I can built around that this year. The tank levels are also shown on my dashboard and on my apple watch complication

Last but not least is an upgrade of my thermostat. I installed a EasyTouch Thermostat from Micro-Air, still trying to figure out if I can get it connected to HA, there is unfortunately no public API for this, but it has Bluetooth and Wifi

1 Like

Great idea, I use Shelly 1’s all over my house and hadn’t considered them as a good 12V contoller! One reason I am favoring the ESP’s is that I can put in a low voltage shutoff so that all the switches don’t drain the batteries, I can set them to shut off at, say, 11.8V.

My problem is I have a Dometic and they don’t use standard 24V control wires, they send pulse codes to the command unit on the roof - a totally stupid system that I hate. I’ve read that you can replace the command unit with a Coleman board with not too much effort, in which case I can finally put a Honeywell T6 in the RV. I thought of building my own as I do have the hacked Dometic pulse codes but it’s an undertaking so I’m leaning towards the Coleman hack instead.

There’s an alternative to the silly Dometic command code system that I may end up doing as well as it’s pretty easy to do (and I have easy access to 110V if needed):

I had a Dometic as well and the EasyTouch units can replace the Dometic, just need to make sure that you order the right model. The WiFi app works well and I am making some progress on a local BLE integration into HA.

I’m working on two things for this years “refit”. I’ve been testing using Shelly UNI’s plus a full sized switch made for low voltage lights - it’s a momentary switch and with the UNI that gives me 100% automated switches without too much trouble (except fabricating something to mount the full size switch without adding more holes which I’ll either 3D print in ABS or cut some sheet metal for).

On the Dometic I’ve decided to just do my own thermostat and use the code the guy in the video I posted has to just send the control signals to the Dometic A/C - no need for relays and all that because I still get what I want with minimal expense and effort and can replace the original Dometic thermostat in a pinch when I resell the RV. The resell part is important because, like a house, the new owner might not want all the automation and we generally get a new RV every 5-6 years.