How to add custom widgets to the new version of hadashboard

Sorry for what will probably end up being a dumb question, but I’ve been having trouble finding documentation that’s up to date for my new setup.

I’m running a new install of hass.io 0.61.1.

I’m not entirely clear what version of AppDaemon I’m running. In the info box it says “Beta version of HADaemon” version 0.0.13. In the log it says “Starting version 3.2.2” then the next line of the log says “INFO AppDaemon Version 2.0.8 Starting”. So, there’s that.

I’m attempting to install a few custom widgets from this thread: New widgets: input slider(horizontal and vertical), input select and light with brightness

All documentation states that I should place the custom_widgets folder in the “conf” folder but I don’t have a conf folder.

My directory structure looks like:

/config/hadaemon/appdaemon.yaml

I’ve tried placing the custom_widgets folder at both: /config/custom_widgets and at /config/hadaemon/custom_widgets but both throw the following error when I load the dashboard:

WARNING Unable to find widget type 'light_with_brightness'
WARNING Widget type not found: text

The dashboard works fine with widget type “light”, the particular widget instance is:

spa_lights:
    widget_type: light_with_brightness
    entity: light.spa_string_lights
    title: Spa Lights
    icon_style_active: "color: yellow"
    icon_on: mdi-lightbulb-on
    icon_off: mdi-lightbulb

So…are custom widgets compatible with the version of AppDaemon I’m running? Am I, for some reason, running a version of AppDaemon I shouldn’t be running? Any thoughts on where that directory should go?

Thanks!

Edit: just for completeness, here’s what’s in my custom_widgets folder:

/config
  custom_widgets
    base_light_with_brightness
      base_light_with_brightness.css
      base_light_with_brightness.html
      base_light_with_brightness.js
    light_with_brightness.yaml

I think it should be the config folder.
sorry i didnt react before, next time try to put this kind of questions in the HAdashboard forum part, it will get noticed sooner.
you are probably running the 3.0 beta version from appdaemon.
and i havent tested the widgets for that version yet.

i think you did it right. i have AD 3.0 installed now so i can test it.
you could also change your version.
uninstall this addon and install the addon for appdaemon 2

oke i just did a quick test.
also in 3.0 they should work (if the hassio addon is created correct.)
the custom widgets dir should be in the same dir as your appdaemon.yaml

did you also add the variables in the variables.yaml from the default skin?

He’s running AD 2.0.8 in hass.io by the looks of it - custom widget development wasn’t added until 2.1.7

the problem is that the hassio addons dont always give the real AD version.
i have seen that 2.0.8 already so much that i know that its probably not AD version 2.0.8
it could be, but then the line “Beta version” wouldnt make any sense.

The AppDaemon version line is from my code so it can’t lie :wink: The other version numbers are for hass.io and the AppDaemon addon I believe. The problem is that an individual hass.io addon fixes a particular version of AppDaemon. So I still think he’s running a version of AD that doesn’t support custom widgets.

so the question is then, which addon did he install, and why is such an old version still out there (its a new install )

This is why I try to stay away from hass.io :slight_smile: I think @frenck was going to look at a new version for AD 3.0.

but its hard to say: sorry but we only support none hassio installs :wink:
for sure now HA is saying its the preffered way to use HA

but yeah i also get a bit … trying to debug something if the question is about AD, and in the end the problem is hassio :wink:

My long term goal as you know is to avoid hass.io by embedding AppDaemon and HADashboard in hass.

even then you get the same trouble. AD would still be inside hassio :wink:
but i think we better continue this conversation elsewhere, so the TS can come back to his question :wink:

Yep! Working on it. Updated the current AppDaemon add-on and renamed it to AppDaemon2 and currently forked the project and working on an AppDaemon3 add-on.

2 Likes

Awesome - thanks for your work on this!

Thank you very much for the responses everyone! This is only my second question on this forum but I’ve found the community to be quite helpful and friendly so far.

I’ll play around with it more after work tonight to see if I can get anywhere, helpful to know that it should be working assuming i’m running a version older than its reporting

OK! So, uninstalled AppDaemon and started over. That’s where I went wrong and boy did it cost me a lot of time. I installed a version from https://github.com/vkorn/hassio-addons simply because I already had the repository loaded, saw it there and didn’t think twice of it. Had I paid closer attention to the documentation I would have found the right repo from the get go. Now new widgets have dropped right in and work like a charm, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

2 Likes

Hi,
I`m having the same difficulty as you describe. From which repo did you get a version working with custom widgets?

I used this repo and my problems went away: https://github.com/hassio-addons/repository

1 Like

so I have read all of this post and am still confused. I installed appdaemon from the repository and it all worked just great. Have developed a simple dashboard with little trouble. Now I want to install some customer widgets (media slider etc. ). These are the instructions that were in a read me file.
place the files in the directory /conf/custom_widgets
edit variables.yaml in your own or the default skin.
the lines to add can be found in here in custom_css/default/variables.yaml

I don’t have a variables.yaml file in the appdaemon folder in my config folder. I have tried various thing but still only get “unable to find widget type …”

I am running hassio. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi,
Any solution on this matter? I seems to end up in a similar situation. Running Hassio and hadashboard I like to add some custom widgets. When adding map and widgets the format i gone.
Tried to add a custom_css with variables.yaml and customer_widgets but it seems like many fomrats are missing.
How can I get hold of the correct default css and variables in a hassio installation?
(or am I on the wrong track?)
/Johan

if you want a custom widget you need to have this structure:

custom_widgets:
  basewidget:
    basewidget.js
    basewidget.html
    basewidget.css
  customwidget.yaml

custom_css
  skin_name
    variables.yaml
    dashboard.css

the variables from the custom widget are best placed inside a copy from the default skin

if you do anything wrong in 1 of the files, appdaemon wont be able to create dashboards.