How to add Sunrise & Sunset Cards

Yeah, I read and parsed this too - but this should work equally well with H M S in both locations
I didn’t know that you could do arithmetic with differing time formats is all
Learnt something new, but I always use H M S, don’t like this latin ‘sugar’
Cheers

Thanks, can you please list all of the configuration.yaml template setting ? since I am getting an error message trying your solution
Regards
David

Post your’s and I’ll help you fix it. Gotta learn to fish my friend :wink:

wow thats a great find…
traveling to the largest muslim country in the world myself shortly, this might be very practical to have at hand.
Though, I take it it calculates the prayer_times based on the HomeAssistant instance lat/long settings? Could this be made into a travel component somehow, following ones own gps coordinates?

I do have the utc-offset, but not sure if that is useful regarding the prayer-times, which probably will be not simply + or - the offset?

value_template: >
          {% set state = states.device_tracker.me %}
          {% if state.attributes is defined and
                state.attributes.time_zone is defined and
                state.attributes.time_zone != 'unknown' %}
            {% set n = now() %}
            {{ (n.astimezone(state.attributes.last_seen.tzinfo).utcoffset() -
                n.utcoffset()).total_seconds()/3600 }}
          {% else %}
            unknown
          {% endif %}

it would have to be made into a custom component and it would require major changes.

1 Like

a I see, well maybe not remake the component, but calculate the outcome of the sensor to the time the device is in.
not familiair with these prayer standards myself, how would I be able to find the local method of calculating these times?

I’ve got this https://www.islamicfinder.org/world/indonesia/ but they dont list the method used
Maybe I should create a separate thread for this, sorry wont diverge further here, and go to Calculate islamic prayer time on device's location?

I don’t know, i didn’t make the component, I only know about it.

Perfect! Worked for me!

With a small “float-trick”, you can draw graphs also the (based on @DavidFW1960 solution):

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      nextsunrise:
        entity_id: sun.sun
        friendly_name: 'Next Sunrise'
        icon_template: mdi:weather-sunset-up
        unit_of_measurement: ' '
          {{ as_timestamp(states.sun.sun.attributes.next_rising) | timestamp_custom('%H.%M') }}
      nextsunset:
        entity_id: sun.sun
        friendly_name: 'Next Sunset'
        icon_template: mdi:weather-sunset-down
        unit_of_measurement: ' '
          {{ as_timestamp(states.sun.sun.attributes.next_setting) | timestamp_custom('%H.%M') }}
2 Likes

There is a simpler way to add “Next Sunrise” and “Next Sunset” values in an entities card:

type: entities
entities:
  - entity: sun.sun
    name: Next Sunrise
    type: attribute
    attribute: next_rising
    format: time
  - entity: sun.sun
    name: Next Sunset
    type: attribute
    attribute: next_setting
    format: time

22 Likes

Beau,
Thank you for that very elegant solution.
One question: how do I get the mentioned time “below” the icon instead of next to it?

I have the problem that when I use the “Glance” card, which does put the label below the icon, not the time is shown, but the text “below horizon” or similar. I seem not to figure out how to keep the time instead…

SunSet-Entity

Sorry, no idea how to do that.

You have to make a template sensor to extract an attribute for glance cards.

not the same as you asked for, but very nice indeed: GitHub - AitorDB/home-assistant-sun-card: Home assistant sun card based on Google weather design

9 Likes

Works perfect for me. Thank you very much!!!

1 Like

Thanks Petro,
But I guess before I get that to work, I have to brush up my lexicon :sweat_smile:
I’ll look into the Template sensor stuff. Guess the concept is to just grab the value of the sun module and have it as output.

@Mariusthvdb: that is actually not bad looking at all. It will be very good Plan B for me.

Worked like a charm… any way to make it show 24 hour clock?

Yes it’s simple. Just google timestamp_custom + Jinja and it will give you what to replace timestamp_custom(’ %I:%M %p’) with

I appreciate this was a long time ago, but thanks for sharing this. It was exactly what I wanted to add for my solar panel/energy dashboard.

1 Like

Looks like this repository was archived today… Are you or do you know the author?

I’ve made a copy just in case, but I’d like an OK from the author to publish that back into HACS and resume its maintenance.

6 Likes