How to Bind?

Really? How did you do it? I’ve had no feedback from ZHA AND no results.

you go into the remote you want to bind and select the device and bind it. I have not understood how to bind a group yet. Also it seems unbinding I have not done right.

I had to remove the remote otherwise I cannot unbind. What is also bad with usage of binding, is that the status in HA is not reflected properly anymore. So will stick to automations for now.

Will play around and let you know, once I have more info.

Any luck yet, @ha_frw?

no real progress, using bind you do not see the update back in HA, so I went back to automation. Not happy with bindings as they work yet.

Another user has tried to explain the process here. I hope it helps your scenario (didn’t work for the remote I had). How to setup Lutron connected remote using ZHA?

Please post back your results.

Would be interested in seeing this work as well, automations are really clunky to set up, brightness up / down is not animated, some button presses are just skipped and I don’t really get how I can adjust color temperature (I guess I need to create scenes for that?).

I will try to create a group and bind to that as suggested here:

Edit: none of it worked, and now even my automations don’t work anymore. I’ll probably switch to Zigbee2MQTT to see if that works out better.

I am also trying to find out how this binding works…
I have two tradfri devices:

• Tradfri ON/OFF Switch - Model E1743
  • Tradfri Control Outlet - Model E1603

When i go to the “on/of switch” device, manage clusters and then to the section Device Binding i am able to select the control outlet…
Press “Bind”, then nothing happens.
I know the “on/of switch” is a battery powered device, but what to do next? (i’ve pressed all the buttons several times (to wake it up so to speak), but still nothing.

I really would like to have this binding works, then the ‘connection’ between the switch and the outlet do not have to rely on HA.

Anyone knows?

1 Like

I was able to "bind’ them together via the “normal IKEA method” (pressing the small button at the inside for 10s near the outlet i want to bind to) … and that works.
But the device status of the outlet is not reflected back to HA.

With Zigbee2MQTT i didn’t have this problem. (Had other problems with stability, thats why i try this switch over to ZHA.

Anyone been able to figure this out yet? I have a Hue dimmer and some Hue lights, but indeed the Bind button doesn’t seem to do anything…

Greetings to all.
This is how I have achieved it:
The first step is to create a group and add the entity that we want to control:

https://imgshare.io/image/NefxK9
https://imgshare.io/image/NefmWF
https://imgshare.io/image/NefY2O

Then we will configure the switch that will control the device:

https://imgshare.io/image/NefjFY
https://imgshare.io/image/Nef9an
https://imgshare.io/image/NefhIQ

If it is a outlet unmark “LevelControl”. If it is a light mark all options.

Wait at least 1 min.

Test if it Works

If it Works congratulations!! But it not report state

Then:

https://imgshare.io/image/NefqHP

Now it reports state. And if Home Assistant downs, no matter, link continue working.

Sorry for my bad english.

I would have liked to include the images or links, but being a novice user, the system has not left me

I hope it worked for you.

4 Likes

Thanks for that explanation! The pictures helped a lot. Too bad this didn’t work for me. I tried with an ikea tradfri E27 bulb and the tradfri on/off switch. Created a group, tried to bind them all together but didn’t see any “confirmation” in the HA ui. Waited a few minutes and tried to use the. Button when HA was offline, but that didn’t work :frowning:

Any idea what I should to to fix this? Tnx!

Hey Guys

After countless tries and doing basically the same thing over and over again, all my light bulbs bind to a singe ike tradfri 5 button remote. Here is what I have and did:

Home Assistant Version: core-2021.1.5
The above version is the first version I got this to work. I basically tried the same thing a couple of times with older version but had no success.

The Remote:

{
  "node_descriptor": "NodeDescriptor(byte1=2, byte2=64, mac_capability_flags=128, manufacturer_code=4476, maximum_buffer_size=82, maximum_incoming_transfer_size=82, server_mask=11264, maximum_outgoing_transfer_size=82, descriptor_capability_field=0)",
  "endpoints": {
    "1": {
      "profile_id": 260,
      "device_type": "0x0820",
      "in_clusters": [
        "0x0000",
        "0x0001",
        "0x0003",
        "0x0020",
        "0x1000",
        "0xfc7c"
      ],
      "out_clusters": [
        "0x0003",
        "0x0004",
        "0x0005",
        "0x0006",
        "0x0008",
        "0x0019",
        "0x1000"
      ]
    }
  },
  "manufacturer": "IKEA of Sweden",
  "model": "TRADFRI remote control",
  "class": "zhaquirks.ikea.fivebtnremotezha.IkeaTradfriRemote"
}

I have 12 light of witch 4 are lightify smart+, 3 are legacy lightify and 4 are ikea tradfri bulbs. So I think this is largely light bulb agnostic. All 12 bulbs are within the same zha light group. Not a HA group, but a Zigbee device group.

I had to unpair and repair the tradfri remote. The bulbs were paired about 6 month ago and are used all the time. However untill the resent version the below never worked for me, but this time it did.

Click on Manage Cluster in the Device Info Panel

Select the group of the light you want to control. Called alle_lichter in my case, select the OnOFF cluster and click Bind Group

2 Likes

FYI, I’ve submitted some info about Zigbee binding to the ZHA docs, please help update later if merged:

I’m in the same boat too. In my case it is an IKEA remote (E1524) 5 buttons tied to a single lamp (E27 Opal 980l IKEA). Conbee II + ZHA. Repeated the procedures mentioned in the thread countless times without any progress.

The UI for the remote binding don’t provide any feedback (only the groups part is reporting) but I set the debug in the zha components I can check that the bind commands of the group are sended followed by a “SUCESS”. But the lights never came on, I tried with diferents bulbs, diferent remote, repairing them, so far no luck.

Does any of you have success with a tradfri remote + bulb group binding?

Thanks for all the information/images mentioned in the thread!

Yes, I do. I have linked Trådfri remotes directly to Trådfri lights. They work even though HA and Conbee is turned off. I love this setup compared to Deconz, which was horribly unstable.
You need firstly to make a group of the light(s). You need to do this even though there is only one light you want to control.
Then you go into the remote settings for the remote you want to bind to the light.
Click “Manage Clusters” and go to the bottom section: “Group Binding”. Ignore what is above this section.
Select the previously created group in the drop-down, and select all checkboxes, and click “Bind Group”.
Lastly, go into the settings of the light(s), and click “Reconfigure device”. All done.

4 Likes

Thanks erikkt!

I have repeated the proccess with the extra step (reconfigure device) and it doesn’t work for me :frowning:

But… good news! I found another approach that works. When you add a remote, a new group ‘No name group 0xrandom’ is created.

Well… add lamps to that group et voilà! :smiley: . No new groups/bind to group/reconfigure device steps are needed in my case. Hope this helps anothers in my situation too, lost the count of hours that I have expended in this issue…

Thanks to all!

1 Like

Thanx to erikkt for good tips!
Maybe you have some experience wit MANY dimmer? If you have few bulbs and want to add one dimmer for each.
When I follow this instruction, ALL my dimmers manage ALL bulbs!!!
I added new bulb and new dimmer, repeat procedure, and - new dimmer manage my new bulb but old (group) too!! And I can’t “find” new gropup (only one bulb) to binding - only some “no name” group.
Sorry if my question is stupid, I’m extremely new in HA (and maybe just a little to old), but have energy to try.
Thanx in advance

Glad that worked for you. Unfortunately when I added a wall scene controller/remote, this has not created any groups. I still have only the one I manually created. I wonder if there are some special requirements for a remote for a group to be created for it…

Hi!

Did you ever managed to get the left/right buttons working? They should change the color temperature but this seems to do nothing.

Regards
Richard

I’m able to bind my Ikea E1743 and E1766 On Off Remotes to a light group with erikkt’s steps, but it took a lot more debugging to get the Ikea E1745 Motion Sensor working.

Binding on a created group always failed for me. The trick is to find the correct autogenerated No name group by repeatedly binding all clusters and checking the zha logs until you find the correct auto-generated group.

1. Enable ZHA debug logs in case binding doesn’t work
  2. Add light via ZHA Add Device
  3. Note the existing ZHA groups
  4. Add motion sensor via ZHA Add Device
  5. Check for a new ZHA group No name group 0x****
    • If this motion sensor has been previously added, the group may have already appeared
  6. Add light to the group
  7. Go to motion sensor’s Manage Clusters > Group Binding > Select the identified group > Select all the cluster options
  8. Make sure the motion sensor state is Clear, then trigger the motion to be Detected
  9. Select Bind Group, and keep checking the logs, they should say [<Status.SUCCESS: 0>]
2021-02-28 14:50:48 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] [0x6c37:zdo] 0x6c37: Bind_req 5c:02:72:ff:fe:50:6a:7a, ep: 1, cluster: 4 to group: 0xb3e8 completed: [<Status.SUCCESS: 0>]
2021-02-28 14:50:48 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] [0x6c37:zdo] 0x6c37: Bind_req 5c:02:72:ff:fe:50:6a:7a, ep: 1, cluster: 3 to group: 0xb3e8 completed: [<Status.SUCCESS: 0>]
2021-02-28 14:50:48 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] [0x6c37:zdo] 0x6c37: Bind_req 5c:02:72:ff:fe:50:6a:7a, ep: 1, cluster: 8 to group: 0xb3e8 completed: [<Status.SUCCESS: 0>]
2021-02-28 14:50:48 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] [0x6c37:zdo] 0x6c37: Bind_req 5c:02:72:ff:fe:50:6a:7a, ep: 1, cluster: 4096 to group: 0xb3e8 completed: [<Status.SUCCESS: 0>]
2021-02-28 14:50:48 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] [0x6c37:zdo] 0x6c37: Bind_req 5c:02:72:ff:fe:50:6a:7a, ep: 1, cluster: 6 to group: 0xb3e8 completed: [<Status.SUCCESS: 0>]
2021-02-28 14:50:48 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] [0x6c37:zdo] 0x6c37: Bind_req 5c:02:72:ff:fe:50:6a:7a, ep: 1, cluster: 25 to group: 0xb3e8 completed: [<Status.SUCCESS: 0>]
  • If only one or a few of them say SUCCESS, select all the clusters and Bind Group again to the same group.
  • If all of them say failed, then repeat steps 6 through 9.
  • Once all of the clusters has returned success at least once (they don’t all need to say success at the same time), proceed to step 10.
  1. Reconfigure Device for the motion sensor
  2. Reconfigure Device for the light(s) in the group
  3. Ensure that the motion sensor state is Clear, then trigger motion detection. The lights should now work without Home Assistant running!

Motion Sensor Device signature:

{
  "node_descriptor": "NodeDescriptor(byte1=2, byte2=64, mac_capability_flags=128, manufacturer_code=4476, maximum_buffer_size=82, maximum_incoming_transfer_size=82, server_mask=11264, maximum_outgoing_transfer_size=82, descriptor_capability_field=0)",
  "endpoints": {
    "1": {
      "profile_id": 260,
      "device_type": "0x0850",
      "in_clusters": [
        "0x0000",
        "0x0001",
        "0x0003",
        "0x0009",
        "0x0020",
        "0x1000",
        "0xfc7c"
      ],
      "out_clusters": [
        "0x0003",
        "0x0004",
        "0x0006",
        "0x0008",
        "0x0019",
        "0x1000"
      ]
    }
  },
  "manufacturer": "IKEA of Sweden",
  "model": "TRADFRI motion sensor",
  "class": "zhaquirks.ikea.motionzha.IkeaTradfriMotionE1745"
}

Original Debug log:

2021-02-28 11:56:37 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] [0xfef0:zdo] processing 0xfef0: Bind_req 5c:02:72:ff:fe:50:6a:7a, ep: 1, cluster: 4096 to group: 0x0003
2021-02-28 11:56:37 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy.device] [0xfef0] Extending timeout for 0x1b request
2021-02-28 11:56:37 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.zigbee.application] Sending Zigbee request with tsn 27 under 28 request id, data: b'1b7a6a50feff72025c010010010300'
2021-02-28 11:56:37 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] Command Command.aps_data_request (30, 28, 0, <DeconzAddressEndpoint address_mode=2 address=0xFEF0 endpoint=0>, 0, <ZDOCmd.Bind_req: 0x0021>, 0, b'\x1bzjP\xfe\xffr\x02\\\x01\x00\x10\x01\x03\x00', 2, 0)
2021-02-28 11:56:37 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] APS data request response: [2, <DeviceState.APSDE_DATA_REQUEST_SLOTS_AVAILABLE|2: 34>, 28]
2021-02-28 11:56:37 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] Device state changed response: [<DeviceState.128|APSDE_DATA_REQUEST_SLOTS_AVAILABLE|APSDE_DATA_CONFIRM|2: 166>, 0]
2021-02-28 11:56:37 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] Command Command.aps_data_confirm (0,)
2021-02-28 11:56:37 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] APS data confirm response for request with id 28: 00
2021-02-28 11:56:37 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy_deconz.api] Request id: 0x1c 'aps_data_confirm' for <DeconzAddressEndpoint address_mode=ADDRESS_MODE.NWK address=0xfef0 endpoint=0>, status: 0x00
2021-02-28 11:57:05 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] [0xfef0:zdo] 0xfef0: Bind_req 5c:02:72:ff:fe:50:6a:7a, ep: 1, cluster: 4096 to group: 0x0003 failed:

Regards,
Also Richard

3 Likes