How to change static IP address

Hii,

I am running home assistant on an odroid n2 +
It was working just fine until I got a new router and connected it to the odroid using the ethernet cable.

Now I can’t see the odroid in the router settings, I also can’t log in to home assistant by using the URL.

I think this may be because I had set a static IP address before using the old router. And that IP address is still assigned and the new router is not recognising it and giving it a new ip address.

So how do I chanhe the ip address? (I can connect to odroid by using a monitor and keyboard)
I’m not a very technical person so if its too complicated can I just simply reset the odroid and things will start fresh? If that is the case, then how do i factory reset it.

Thanks!

You are contradicting with " I can’t see the odroid in the router settings"… so can or can’t you see it?
If you set the static IP on the odroid then can you remember the ip (sub)net? My new router immediately took 192.168.3.x as subnet whereas my nuc is on 1.x…that was an easy solution by changing the router subnet.

I can’t see the device itself (odroid in the router settings) let alone the ip address.

And nop i don’t remember the previous ip address. I used to type homeassistant.local:8123 in url bar

Hmm, and there is no way that you can attach a screen/keyboard to it to dig into the setup? Come to think of it that I did not ask on what install you have… if it is HAOS then I am not the right person (using docker). Any backup of your config so you can dig into configuration.yaml or errorlog?
Is your new router possibly on a different subnet then the old one… I read that you cannot remember the ip but maybe check your router and start changing the subnet ?

I can get monitor and keyboard connected to it.
And I’m running HAOS.

If you don’t know how i can reset the ip address. Do you know how I can reset the whole thing. Back to factory settings and then i can reflash haos into the emmc

If the old router is still working, just turn off the new router, connect and turn on the old one, change static ip (or set to dhcp), and replace router again…

Not for HAOS, sorry … I do not want to make statements that may break even more…
But, assuming that your router and odroid are working correctly as individual devices, then I would just change the subnet of the router, followed by a arestart the odroid and see what happens, I cannot imagine you would have many different subnets so testing 192.168.1 + 192.168.2 + 192.168.3 is quick to try out

that too :slight_smile:

If a ip address is set to be static on a certain device.
Will that device always be assigned that ip address? Even with different routers?

If the answer to this is yes. Then connecting into the old router seems like a good idea.

How do i change the subsets haha.
Sorry I have not heard of this before

If you indeed cannot use the old router as suggested above then try indeed the subnets
Usually this is via LAN settings of your router where you can indicate the subnetmask and the start/end ip…you would need to chekc your router documentation. … I would also check 192.168.0 (is not that common but one never knows)

What is the principle behind the subnets.
I cwn certainly look into this. But I want to know what a subnet does and subnetting will help my situation

Not going to train you on subnets a.o. but you can use the mto separate devices from one another for security, traffic, etc. reasons.
… my point is that if your odroid is for some reason fixed to 192.168.3.20 (example) then it won’t connect to a router with 192.168.1.x.

I don’t use static ip’s, i use dhcp-reservations,
And since the dhcp server is on my router, yeah i have to re-enter this list when i get a new router.
But at least it is done centralized on one device, instead of me configuring each and every individual device :thinking:

subnets are defined by netmask.
f.e:
192.168.1.x uses netmask 255.255.255.0
192 168.y.x uses netmask 255.255.0.0

So a netmask of 255.255.255.0 gives you a range of 192.168.1.1 - 192.169.1.254 while
a netmask of 255.255.0.0 gives you a range of 192.168.1.1 - 192.169.254.254

How do I the odroid a new ip address without logging into it. Since I can’t sign into it as of yet. Is there a code I enter in haos

what me and @vingerha said, either put back your old router, and you should be able to logon and change ip address. Or change subnetmask on router to 255.255.0.0 (after which should also be able to access).

But also connecting a monitor/mouse would do.
Step 3. here describes how (you could have found that info yourself here too, you’re not the first one that asks….)

Hi thanks for getting back,

I get a error of “unknown command” when I type nmcli connection show
See the picture

what am i doing wrong

check this post from21d ago…you first need to type login (plusenter)
How to change IP adresse in CLI - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Thanks for that!
I got until step 4 and then i get this error