How to control white channel of RGBW bulb

Have the same problem with my qubino rgbw dimmer. How has this not been resolved yet almost a year later?

Because most of the guys working on the code base are doing it for free in their spare time.
If you want to roll your sleeves up and get coding then this could be your first order of business.
People code what they can usually because they have an interest in that particular segment and/or because the need is great.
They can’t do everything and have to pick, when they hit a wall it means to hit the research or improve their coding skills in particular areas (hence it doesn’t happen the next day).
That’s a very nice thing to do for others in their spare time (with work, family, having a life … )
The guys helping on the forum are also doing it for free to try to take some weight from those whose efforts we all want to be spent doing their magic.

Not criticizing anyone, just pointing out that control of lighting is the quintessential home automation thing. This just seems like this would be a common issue.

1 Like

So email qubino, ask them to support you (as a loyal customer) by writting up an API document that would make their kit available to 3rd party vendors. Then our devs will have a much better understanding without having to reverse engineer it every time.
Sorry but this comes up a lot and we do have some great sucess stories ‘ggravlingen’ for example has reverse engineered and built a Tradfri Fytur Blind interface (though with a lot of other people in the open source community) to get it merged in only 3 months from their launch date.
These guys are heros

I’ll be sure to do that when I get a chance. But it isn’t just an issue with qubino, seems like the issue affects many different rgbw bulbs and controllers.

1 Like

Not sure why anyone hasn’t mentioned this before, but Hass.io includes the facility to change the properties of existing lights. I also have the Qubino RGBW dimmer, and couldn’t control the level of the white channel, but this fixed it.

1. Make sure you have Advanced Customisation enabled in your HA profile page
  2. In Configuration > Customisation, select your RGBW dimmer.
  3. There should be a “supported_features” attribute, which is a bit field. For a light, these features are
SUPPORT_BRIGHTNESS = 1
SUPPORT_COLOR_TEMP = 2
SUPPORT_EFFECT = 4
SUPPORT_FLASH = 8
SUPPORT_COLOR = 16
SUPPORT_TRANSITION = 32
SUPPORT_WHITE_VALUE = 128

In my case the value was 49 (1+16+32, or brightness+color+transition), so I changed the value to 177 (1+16+32+128) to include white_value.

8 Likes

Thanks a lot for that info Mike, I’ve been looking for that little piece of information for months if not years!

Awesome, that fixed it! :smiley:
Do you perhaps know of a way to make the light keep the current brightness and white value when selecting a new color?
When i change to a new color in the color wheel it sets the light to max brightness and sets white value to 0. :confused:

I don’t know of any way of maintaining the white value when changing other values. If you play around with the dimmer using configuration->services, you’ll find it doesn’t maintain anything when you change any parameters.
I’ve resorted to creating a script for each colour combination I want and cycling through them using an input_select. I’ve also connected a z-wave Hank scene controller to the Qubino dimmer using z-wave grouping for dimming. Not very elegant, but it works for me.

Were you able to find a solution for the ZW-1002

Any idea why I don’t see the “supported_features” option for my Inovelli bulb?

Er, no. It’s disappeared from mine too. Some other entities still support it, so there may have been an update to the open Z wave configuration which removed it.
You could try adding an “other” attribute using the “pick an attribute to override” dropdown. Let me know if this worked for you.

Holy $*!T, thank you! Now if only I could get it to leave the RGB’s off when I turn on the white.

Anyone know how to perminanetly leave the Supported Features at 177? and also how to control the RGB so they stay off and only the WW on?

Subtract 16 from 177 and configure the supported features inside customize.yaml instead of the interface.

Thanks, as I’m fairly novice would you mind helping me with what the code would look like in customize.yaml?

take a look at the yaml documentation on setting this up. Then you’ll be adding supported_features as an attribute under the specified entity_id. Examples of the code are here.

Thank you. I’ll do that now. I tried changing the supporting features to 161 in the developers section but I still dont seem to be able to turn off the RGB and cant control the W brightness independantly of the RGB. Is this also your experience?

changing things in the developers section has no affect. It’s gotta be on startup inside the customize section. Also, things could still be wonky doing this.

Thanks, Will see how I go.