How to control white channel of RGBW bulb

Same deal here - I updated and it does not work, despite a color temp slider now showing up. In the meantime I’m using a fun little workaround that actually yields fantastic results: Set the desired “warm white temperature” z-wave config value, then turn on the light.

Since I can only access the warm channel due to this fix not working for me, this has become a good alternative. Calling zwave.set_config_parameter on the warm white temperature parameter (number 81 for my ZWA001 bulb) will instantly shift the bulb to that temp if it’s already on.

The resulting mixes look very nice!! It’s as if Aeotec just expects the config value to be used in place of the color command class… Part of me wonders if this is intentional to differentiate between the multi-white bulb and the RGB+multi-white bulb? Seems silly to have a bulb where you can only select “cold” or “warm”, but can tune the “warm” side between very warm (2700k) and rather cook (4999k). (That’s the accepted range for the warm temp config parameter; cold temp config is 5000k~6500k which I don’t have as much care for.)

Anyways, here’s the service call. Note the parameter number for warm white, and kelvin value. Add it to any automation where you want a specific temp, it’s near-instant to on my network (RTT often <100ms).

service: zwave.set_config_parameter
  data_template: {
    "node_id": 16, "parameter": 81, "value": 4000
    }

Thanks my friend for sharing. This does the trick.
I have tried parameter 82 set to 6000 but does not work.
Now if someone fixes the controls too we will be all set.

Would it be posable to add Aeotec ZW121 LED Strip

Thanks

1 Like

I’ve been having the same trouble with my Aeotec LED Strips - https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1963 - and can only get the strips to turn on one of the warm/cool LEDs. This means that if I change the colour and return to white mode, I get only about half the brightness since only half of the LEDs are on.

I’ve been back and forth with their support people which ended up with them telling me that “setting WW and CW must be set manually using the Color SET command.”

RE: independent control of the warm and cool LEDS, they said: “For LED Strip, Cold White and Warm White are of the same priority which allows you to control WW and CW at 100% each or 50% each as mentioned in your question. You would see both CW and WW working at the same time when LED Strip is factory reset.”

1 Like

I would also like support for Aeotec ZW121

I see that PR#23302 is waiting review/approval. Hope to see this available soon!

I got a Qubino Flush RGBW dimmer and i have the same issues as you guys. Color wheel never engages the white LEDs. I can use the Home Assistant Services-tool to call service “white_value” which works perfectly, but as soon as i use the color wheel it shuts off the white LEDs and i have to use call service again.

Would be really nice to be able to at least have a slider for white channel.

I had similar issue with Qubino Flush RGBW Dimmer and solved (brutally) by editing HA code and adding it to exceptions:

file: /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zwave/light.py
fix:

AEOTEC_ZW098_LED_BULB_LIGHT = (0x86, 0x62)
AEOTEC_ZWA001_LED_BULB_LIGHT = (0x371, 0x1)
AEOTEC_ZWA002_LED_BULB_LIGHT = (0x371, 0x2)
HANK_HKZW_RGB01_LED_BULB_LIGHT = (0x208, 0x4)
QUBINO_RGBW_DIMMER = (0x159, 0x54)
ZIPATO_RGB_BULB_2_LED_BULB_LIGHT = (0x131, 0x3)

WORKAROUND_ZW098 = 'zw098'

DEVICE_MAPPINGS = {
    AEOTEC_ZW098_LED_BULB_LIGHT: WORKAROUND_ZW098,
    AEOTEC_ZWA001_LED_BULB_LIGHT: WORKAROUND_ZW098,
    AEOTEC_ZWA002_LED_BULB_LIGHT: WORKAROUND_ZW098,
    HANK_HKZW_RGB01_LED_BULB_LIGHT: WORKAROUND_ZW098,
    ZIPATO_RGB_BULB_2_LED_BULB_LIGHT: WORKAROUND_ZW098,
    QUBINO_RGBW_DIMMER: WORKAROUND_ZW098
}

Thanks! I still have some major issues though. :slight_smile: Did you get your Qubino dimmers to work correctly with that fix?
The fix enables a color temperature slider, but if i set anything colder than 50% on the slider (meaning i try to slide it to the left) it just shuts off the light. And if i slide it to the right (warmer light) it doesn’t do anything other than turn on the white leds at full brightness.
If i choose a color in the color wheel the white leds shut off, and when i choose a color the brightness goes to max (it did this even before the fix too).
What i really need is a white_value slider so that i can control the brightness of the white LED’s without turning off the RGB LED’s.

Have you configured your Qubino RGBW dimmers to report separate RGBW channels or are they combined? (Mine are combined.)

I wasted a bunch of time getting RBGW to work with an Aeotec Gen 6 (ZWA002) bulb, so just wanted to post my experience on here in case it helps anybody else.

First, for some reason after adding the bulbs, you have to restart homeassistant before you get the white-temperature slider. I got the color wheel immediately, and was convinced my bulb wasn’t supported until I actually found the workaround in the source code, and then was completely puzzled. However, just restarting made the white-temperature slider appear.

Second, the white-temp slider does not actually control the temperature, but rather just lets you select between warm and cool white. However, you can still select the temperature by going into the zwave configuration menu, selecting the node, and then going down to configuration parameters. You can set the warm white (81) to anything from 2700-4999K, and the cool white (82) to anything in 5000-6500K. The bulb seems to keep these settings, so if you just want one of each, set it and you are done. You can, however, automate the exact white temperatures using the snippet suggested above (use 82 for cool white):

You can find these parameters described in the PDF version of the user manual here: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/6072848203

Have the same problem with my qubino rgbw dimmer. How has this not been resolved yet almost a year later?

Because most of the guys working on the code base are doing it for free in their spare time.
If you want to roll your sleeves up and get coding then this could be your first order of business.
People code what they can usually because they have an interest in that particular segment and/or because the need is great.
They can’t do everything and have to pick, when they hit a wall it means to hit the research or improve their coding skills in particular areas (hence it doesn’t happen the next day).
That’s a very nice thing to do for others in their spare time (with work, family, having a life … )
The guys helping on the forum are also doing it for free to try to take some weight from those whose efforts we all want to be spent doing their magic.

Not criticizing anyone, just pointing out that control of lighting is the quintessential home automation thing. This just seems like this would be a common issue.

1 Like

So email qubino, ask them to support you (as a loyal customer) by writting up an API document that would make their kit available to 3rd party vendors. Then our devs will have a much better understanding without having to reverse engineer it every time.
Sorry but this comes up a lot and we do have some great sucess stories ‘ggravlingen’ for example has reverse engineered and built a Tradfri Fytur Blind interface (though with a lot of other people in the open source community) to get it merged in only 3 months from their launch date.
These guys are heros

I’ll be sure to do that when I get a chance. But it isn’t just an issue with qubino, seems like the issue affects many different rgbw bulbs and controllers.

1 Like

Not sure why anyone hasn’t mentioned this before, but Hass.io includes the facility to change the properties of existing lights. I also have the Qubino RGBW dimmer, and couldn’t control the level of the white channel, but this fixed it.

1. Make sure you have Advanced Customisation enabled in your HA profile page
  2. In Configuration > Customisation, select your RGBW dimmer.
  3. There should be a “supported_features” attribute, which is a bit field. For a light, these features are
SUPPORT_BRIGHTNESS = 1
SUPPORT_COLOR_TEMP = 2
SUPPORT_EFFECT = 4
SUPPORT_FLASH = 8
SUPPORT_COLOR = 16
SUPPORT_TRANSITION = 32
SUPPORT_WHITE_VALUE = 128

In my case the value was 49 (1+16+32, or brightness+color+transition), so I changed the value to 177 (1+16+32+128) to include white_value.

8 Likes

Thanks a lot for that info Mike, I’ve been looking for that little piece of information for months if not years!

Awesome, that fixed it! :smiley:
Do you perhaps know of a way to make the light keep the current brightness and white value when selecting a new color?
When i change to a new color in the color wheel it sets the light to max brightness and sets white value to 0. :confused:

I don’t know of any way of maintaining the white value when changing other values. If you play around with the dimmer using configuration->services, you’ll find it doesn’t maintain anything when you change any parameters.
I’ve resorted to creating a script for each colour combination I want and cycling through them using an input_select. I’ve also connected a z-wave Hank scene controller to the Qubino dimmer using z-wave grouping for dimming. Not very elegant, but it works for me.

Were you able to find a solution for the ZW-1002

Any idea why I don’t see the “supported_features” option for my Inovelli bulb?