How to format a card to show hours instead of seconds?

Hi,
I have a Miio entity (a vacuum) which shows various properties:

As you can see, values are shown in seconds.
It’s fine for the integration page, but in the dashboard I would like to have hours.

Is it possible without having to define an extra template sensor? Formatting “on the fly” depending on the dashboard seems like a reasonable use case…

Thanks.

1 Like

As far as I know, no.
But I think it would be a good change in the integration.
Who would want it in seconds?
Minutes is perhaps more useful but still, hours is probably the most useful here.

I think the integration is fine and changing it would even affect long term storage of data, it’s the dashboard that should allow reformatting numbers.

1 Like

I’ve run into this, too. Just recently in 2022.5 something changed and now some of my dashboard displays which were in decimal hours are in HH:MM:SS format. That’s OK, but I don’t need the seconds to display. It only makes the screen look cluttered.

In hopes of avoiding the flood of responses I know would come, let me be clear: I know I can create a template in whatever format I want. I’ve got dozens of templates already. I don’t think it’s a good practice to create templates (data) simply to display a value. The display should be separate from the data.

This isn’t the first time this has come up. A quick search came up with this question, and a few Feature Requests. I suggest up-voting any you agree with:

There are no doubt more discussions on this; I just did a very quick search.

I agree. Creating templates to format a value is like cracking walnuts with a sledgehammer.

There was an issue raised when the Xiaomi vacuum changed from hours to seconds. The devs indicated that as a policy they no longer change the units reported by the device and it would not be changed. So we are probably going to see more of this sort of thing.

1 Like

I think it’s reasonable.

I didn’t find them, I guess my search used the wrong terms.

Thanks!

The groundwork is in place for this to be handled by the UI in the future. In 2022.4 (maybe 5), a new sensor device class duration was added. As long as a sensor has the following things set:

• Has a value of hours, minutes, or seconds
  • Corresponding unit_of_measurement, h, m, or s
  • device_class: duration

The UI will display the value as d HH:MM:SS. Where d is days, HH is hours, MM is minutes and SS is seconds.

In the future, I could see a setting in the UI being added for the display on a duration sensor.

To add this functionality to the vacuum sensors, just manually customize the entity with

device_class: duration

Also, you should open an issue against the integration that’s creating those entities, as they should be setting the duration device class.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll open the issue for the Xiaomi/Milo vacuum as they do not have the device class, e.g.

Though I would still need my template sensors to convert the values to hours for the bar cards I use as row elements:

EDIT:

1 Like