How to "install" a new Deconz DDF file

I’m running the Deconz docker container from the HA add-on. Is there a supported method to “install” a new DDF file? Someone posted a DDF at the Dresden Elektronik github repo. And I wanted to try it out for my motion sensor. But it’s not really clear how I can run this DDF. And I can’t find any instructions. Should run a standalone Deconz for this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

5 Likes

Probably a basic thing, but I’m struggling with the same…

I had tried to get an answer to a similar problem. Namely, instead of a DDF file, I wanted to get a self-compiled deconz-rest-plugin into the container. In the github repo only bugs are allowed, which is why I stuck to it and asked in the forum instead.

In the meantime I don’t believe to get the answer anymore.

I See that there is still no update.
Is there a shared docker directory to place the DDF files, so Deconz can use the DDF files?

Did someone get a solution to add a DDF into the deconz docker filesystem?

Has anyone a solution ? im using hassos.
Regards,
Mike

1 Like

Hi Mike,

another Mike to the rescue … I recently found out and partially documented that in my comment how to accomplish this.

In essence, once you gained access to the OS SSH (not the docker container SSH!), you:

1. Navigate to the path /mnt/data/supervisor/addons/data/core_deconz/.local/share/dresden-elektronik/deCONZ/devices
  2. Create a file and save the JSON. Important to know is that deCONZ seems to struggle with line breaks so remove all and insert the DDF definition as a one line statement!
  3. Log into deCONZ (preferably via VNC, I use TigerVNC on Mac OSX)
  4. Right click on the node you’d like to edit the DDF and chose Edit DDF
  5. In the menu choose File > Open and select your recently created file. The interface should update, if not, an error is shown in the bottom left for three or five seconds.
  6. Click File > Hot reload

This YouTube Video was quite helpful as well: deCONZ News #02 - YouTube

Best
Mike

2 Likes

Hi @ButchCassidy, I’ve been using your method to try to create a DDF for a new device I have, but when I try to load the file, it gives a Failed to Open error. Any thoughts?

Sorted now, found some typos in the file, all working now.

Hi Guys,

When stated this has to be done via SSH and not Docker Container;

I have HA running on a RPi 4b and I have a HDMI screen, keyboard and mouse connected.

Can I install the DDF via this route or not?

Dizzwold.

Hi Guys,

I’ve used ssh [email protected] to get into my HA.

How do I navigate to the following;

-bash: /mnt/data/supervisor/addons/data/core_deconz/.local/share/dresden-elektronik/deCONZ/devices: No such file or directory

Can someone direct my as I need to remove a device in the device.json?

Dizzwold.

Hi Guys,

I’m still looking for help to remove a device within the DDF.

I can Access Home Assistant OS via ssh, but then nothing?

I need to remove a Sonoff ZBMini L2.

Screen Shot 2023-10-12 at 16.46.59

Can I please ask for some help.

Dizzwold.

same here /mnt folder is empty…can’t reach the mentioned path ;(.